Chemical Applications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical Applications

So I started getting into Weed Control and Fertilizer applications last year and it is taking off. I actually have more customer that I do this for than mow for, but I am still making much more revenue and profit in the mowing (due to having a couple good size accounts and only doing the chem apps on smaller houses).

I want to keep pushing the chem apps though and grow that more, as there is more profit in it. Right now, I'm using a backpack sprayer and a off-brand "Commercial" spreader. I talked to my chem supplier and they said I really should use a skid sprayer, ride-on, or at least a push sprayer (like the Turf-Ex or Lesco) and use a better spreader (they sell Lesco).

If I went to a push sprayer and Lesco spreader, that would be the cheapest way but still like $1500 for that setup. I will only do about $2000-$2500 for the year in chem apps, so I'm having a hard time with that leap. If I am using a wide spray pattern, should I be fine using the backpack sprayer? My chem supplier says that using a backpack sprayer makes you miss spots as you are walking and waving the wand back and forth, rather than applying a constant spray to every square inch.

Any thought? I would like to get a skid sprayer, but they are like $2000 used, so I think I'm going to wait another year or two on that.

Have you noticed on your lawns there are spots that have been missed? Your size set up right now may work for what you are doing.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Have you noticed on your lawns there are spots that have been missed? Your size set up right now may work for what you are doing.
      Well I really just started, but haven't noticed any missed spots and my customers tell me their yard looks great. I am going to keep running my current setup for now. I would like to upgrade my spreader though, as the one I am using is hard to push. It feels like it has a lot of rolling resistance, you can hear it grind when you push it and can feel it pushing back against you even when empty. Is Lesco the way to go for a good push spreader or are there other brands that are just as good without the price tag? My dealer wants $580 for a Lesco High Wheel with deflector kit. Considering my last spreader cost me $80, this is quite a jump up. I looked at some Earth Ways online, but there no local dealers, so I'm skeptical about buying before I can at least see it in person and push it around the showroom.

Comment

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XqKgib1llFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is another brand, beyond the lesco, that you might want to investigate further.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

The Spyker looks nice, but is still $500+. Anyone have any experience with Chapin or EarthWay spreaders? I know they make a range of spreaders, so I am talking about the Professional or Commercial grade ones. I looked up reviews and one site says the Chapin is 4 1/2 stars and one site says 2 stars, so there seems to be mixed opinions. Same with the EarthWay. Any experience with these?

Comment

I have an earthway spreader and am very happy with it. Its primary use is for salt in the winter, however i recently purchased the earthway spreader with the bigger hopper and used it for over seeding. Im very happy with both models and have had my original one for about 10 years now.

Comment

You can get a 55 gallon skid sprayer from Northern Tool for $1600.00 on sale. You also would be ahead to get an Earthway commercial spreader online. It's much cheaper than buying one in a retail store.
              integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X