Rubber mulch...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber mulch...

Has anyone ever installed rubber mulch by the bag or more importantly, pallet....it was a pain in the *** and all clumped together...I found it easiest to push the pallet over with a truck (pallet is 2000 pounds) and pitchfork from the driveway..what would you charge for this? I believe a "pain in the neck" fee should be applied... This was my first time working with the rubber mulch..a very good client of mine (I do 2 of his houses and his place of business) ordered 2 pallets...offered me $350 to install it...took 3 of us about 2.5 hours....the key was knocking over the pallet or it could have taken 10 hours.

disclaimer : also did rubber mulch in the backyard, just did not get pictures
    disclaimer 2: That picture of me...it may be rubber mulch or possible a brownie if you have been in the heat too long (another day of 110 heat index)
    Attached Files

We just haven't seen much discussion on rubber mulch here. I am not sure if it the higher cost, or the fact that it can't be mixed into the ground, or that there are no nutrients for the soil that come from it, or that it's easier to catch fire/burns hotter/and is harder to put out that a wood mulch fire.

Did the customer ask for rubber mulch or did you present them the idea?

How much time difference do you think there would be if you were installing wood mulch instead?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Nearly everyone I know charges by the yard. I've worked with rubber mulch before and understand the work required to break up the clumps. If I were you, I would charge for the price of the mulch (material, tax, delivery) and tack on your hourly rate for general landscaping per man hour. Your area will differ from other markets in the country. The range is $35.00 - $65.00 an hour depending where you live.
      integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I've worked with rubber mulch before
        Do you prefer to use rubber or wood mulch? If a customer asks you for your opinion, which one do you turn them to and why?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Do you prefer to use rubber or wood mulch? If a customer asks you for your opinion, which one do you turn them to and why?
          I personally prefer wood mulch. It is readily available, spreads easier, and nearly everyone is familiar with it.
          integritylawnpro.com

Comment

If a customer asks about rubber mulch, do you try to steer them towards wood? If so, what reasons would you say to them to go with wood?

Comment

I do steer them towards wood with the reasons I listed above.
              integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bringing up the past with this old post, but I push for rubber whenever I can. If you get it by a 1 cu yd bag and not the 2000# bag, it is more expensive but super easy to apply. It is so light, I can carry 3 at a time (with a bad back) whereas wood bags is only one at a time for me. Rubber mulch also offers 12-15 years of color as opposed to 6 months to a year with shredded and 1-2 years with dyed. Rubber mulch also will not attract mice and termites like wood mulch and is a recycled product (you can actually see PSI information or a DOT stamp from the old tire on some pieces).

If a customer does rubber, I charge quite a bit more (a $300 shredded mulch job is like $2500 in rubber) but I show the customer that they will actually save money over the next 10-15 years versus doing wood every year. I also make better profit on a one time rubber job than I would on 15 years of wood mulching.

I also advise them that they will need to go on fertilizing plan for their plants in the rubber mulch though, for nutrition. Even with fertilizing over the next 15 years, they still are saving money. I put rubber in at my house and love it.

Comment

I prefer wood as well... Much more natural looking. Only have to replace once a year depending on climate.

Comment

The other perk about wood mulch, is that it is better for the bottom line (CA$H) over the long term. I may do a 4-yard install of rubber mulch once in 10 years, but 10 times in 10 years with wood.
                    integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X