String trim BEFORE mow or AFTER?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String trim BEFORE mow or AFTER?

Just asking what your preference is.... Sometimes if the grass up against the fence is really tall, I'll weed eat it down first, then mulch over it... What do YOU do?

I agree, most of the time i have another guy weedeating while I mow but I like to mow up around the fence and house first so it cuts down on how much he trims

Comment

Depends on the house. If it's the first cut of the season, or if it's grown up really bad, we weed eat first then mulch the trimmings. if it's just a normal mow (no really tall grass) then we split and i mow where he isn't trimming.

When we split up (each do a separate yard) I personally like weed eating first, gives me a chance to pick up any hidden sticks, or make note of any odd objects in the yard (i.e. roots, exposed pipes, holes etc.)

Comment

I like string trimming after I mow. The logic behind this is to first get everywhere you can possible with the mower, then have a minimal amount to touch up on with the trimmer.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses first of all... On of the issues I have with trimming first, up against houses and fences is gauging how low or how high to cut. If my mower is set on a "2" (one notch up from the lowest), its hard to string trim that free handed. If its really super high, I just trim it first, rake blow it our into the yard, then run over...and then if I have to go back and re-trim to even it out, thats okay. Here, we have RYE everywhere, and it easily gets out of hand, within days after a rain.

Comment

I always mow first...so I can be sure to get everything when weed eating...sometimes I will leave the mower off the trailer to do a one minute run though with the mower after weed eating (if there is big debris from fence areas, etc)...that is if I happen to be by myself...otherwise....the guys always egt the fence first anyways so that part would be done before I leave the backyard and can do a once more perimeter cut.

Comment

For me, I always trim first if it's a new customer and it's high. Along the fences and house is where you'll always find the debris... chunks of bricks they used to stop a dog from digging under the fence, golf balls, you know, the good stuff that likes to make awful noises right before they become missiles.

Comment

Quit watching the youtube guys.

Comment

I agree, most of the time i have another guy weedeating while I mow but I like to mow up around the fence and house first so it cuts down on how much he trims
                  Yes this is my method now also it really works!!

Comment

Quit watching the youtube guys.
                    Why? What do they do? lol.
                    I don't know what you mean.
                    I feel the more you compare your company to others the faster you lose your company to the idea that it has to be done one and only one way.

Comment

For me I always mow first so I can see whats left behind to trim. The only time I had to trim first is when I got a one time gig at a rental home and grass was knee high. Even though overgrown lots can make you lots of $$ i try to avoid them because there too time consuming for me. Anyways I almost always trim/edge last.
                      Travis: owner of Travis' lawn care

(Making your lawn look the best!)

Comment

Why? What do they do? lol.
                        I don't know what you mean.
                        I feel the more you compare your company to others the faster you lose your company to the idea that it has to be done one and only one way.
                        I'm the opposite. The more I see how others do things the more I change how I do things away from what they are doing.

Comment

I would prefer to string trim first so that it leaves a cleaner job. The problem is that I like my trimming height to match my mower height so I always end up mowing first so I get that part right.
                          If a lawn is really overgrown in the spring I might trim it first just to keep the long blades of grass from being an eyesore.

Comment

1. If the driveway, walkways, street, patios or decks have debris I blow all the debris into the yard.
                            2. Mow perimeter and around obstacles. To get to obstacles I follow the light green stripe from last cut.
                            3. Weedwack perimeter and obstacles.
                            4. Mow yard then perimeter again to clean up turn around tracks.
                            5. Blow.

This way takes longer but is the right way to do it.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X