Proper height for lawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper height for lawn

Hey guys, I've read a few different places that a lawn should be 2 to 3" high to be its healthiest and to never cut off more than 1/4" at a time (to prevent shock).

Is there any truth to this?

Also, it there any way to make a lawn appear more "green" in color?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I just wanted to get some professional opinions

Thanks!
    “All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.”
    ― Sophocles, Antigone

As far as cutting ng goes, it depends on your location. Where I'm located, I can cut some at 2" and be fine but normally I cut at around 3". The general rule of thumb is to take 1/3 of the length off. This all will vary depending on where you are and what type if grass your cutting.

Comment

It really depends on the lawn. Each lawn is different. We mow between 3-4 inches here. One of my horticulture professors once told me that if we could convince our customers to have us cut at 5 inches they would have the greenest lawn around. I really believe mowing higher is the safest bet for a green lawn.

Comment

if youre looking for green, theres some good looking lawn paint out there. but in my area it comes down to getting enough water an the yard. those people who water have nice green lawns and the people who dont usually have a drop off in color by mid july.

Comment

minerals will change the color also. Check out some of the pro sports fields...

Comment

We start at 2" in the spring and due to the lack of irrigation many of our lawbs go 6" by summer mowing in transport for every mower crew.

Color comes from a good shot of nitrogen, iron and height.

Comment

This will all depend on the type.of grass ull be cutting vermuda. Zoisa.st.agustine. blue grass etc.

Comment

I have never seen st. Augustine up here so I agree fully that it depends on where your cutting

Comment

We have mainly fescue up here and a little bluegrass mixed in here and there.

I am cutting at 2 1/2" right now and will cut at 3" come the middle of june this year, but we had a late spring this year due to a long winter but the norm here is 2 1/2' - 3" and the grass holds up very well. Even if we get a dry spell and some brown out, it will come back quickly.

Comment

Lawn Mowing Heights

Mowing heights depend on the time of year and the environment your law is. During cooler seasons grass should be cut until only three inches are left. During the warmer months, grass can be cut down to about two inches. As a general rule you do not want to cut your grass more than 1/3 of its height. Over-mowing can hurt your lawn.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X