Mowing While Raining/Wet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mowing While Raining/Wet?

These past few weeks we have gotten quite a bit of rain in the area, causing the grass to grow faster, yet making it a bit difficult to work because of route backups. We are still mowing when it is a little damp if it won`t hurt the grass. My question though is if it is raining around your start time, do you delay starting (if you have a helper) or just start as if it were not raining? Another concern I have is safety. Do you mow even if it is not raining but still wet, I`m mainly concerned because I don`t want anyone to get hurt and I slipped walking down the ramp of the trailer while it was wet and my neck was sore for a little while. Thanks

We will mow in the rain up to the point when the turf gets to soft. The key is to run equipment that performs well in wet conditions. Examples are the Scag Velocity deck, Gravely X Factor, and JD 7 Iron. These open deck designs process grass very quickly and very rarely clump. More tightly baffled decks like the Ultra Cut will clump and make a mess. Also three point turns will help prevent turf damage in wet conditions.
    sigpic

Comment

3 hours after it stops we let it fly

Comment

We will mow in the rain up to the point when the turf gets to soft.
        How long do you wait after the rain stops to resume mowing?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

And be mindful of slopes, they stay slippery for quite a while after the rain stops.

Comment

Thank you guys for the advice!

Comment

We only stop if it is a torrential downpour and we start up again as soon as it stops.

Comment

Would any of the above still apply if I were using a mulching mower instead of bagging?
                “All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.”
                ― Sophocles, Antigone

Comment

My week is booked so solid that we have no choice but to cut the lawns or fall so far behind it would take a miracle to catch up or I'd have to hire more employees.

Comment

I will mow up to the point that it gets too soft to mow. i try not to mow when its activly raining as to not get the drive belts on my mower wet but if it starts i just keep going. after last year i have learned a few nice tricks for mowing in the rain.

Comment

We cut rain or shine as long as the ground isn't too soft. A little extra care has to be taken to prevent damage but we can't afford to work around rain drops. Too much money wasted going back and forth and there are times it rains everyday of the week and you just fall farther behind and loose a lot of money.
                      What kind of ramp do you have that your slipping on? All of mine are expanded wire mesh so traction is not really an issue. If you have something that is smooth, you had better get some traction tape or something on there because they don't dry up as soon as it quits raining.

Comment

My ramp is expanded mesh too. However, we had to get the ramp reinforced and also had a thicker gauge mesh welded on. Unfortunately, they welded the mesh on backwards making grip on the way up, but slippery on the way down.

Comment

This seems to be a question that gets asked a lot. It really depends on what part of the country you are in and what type of soil is in the yards that you mow. What one person does across the country really does not help you with you answer. The best answers are common sense. If the yard does not drain well and you are putting a mower on it causing ruts just so you do not fall behind than that is just irresponsible. If you are also sacrificing safety than that is also being very irresponsible too. The weather plays a big part in our business and unfortunately we have to learn how to deal with it. But safety and damage to a customers yard should never be the route that you take. Most customers will understand that you can not mow in the rain and also will respect you more for not tearing up their lawn. If you have a route that does not allow for delays or potential problems than that is just poor planning. I'm not happy when it rains or when it down pours all night because i know that I will have to work twice as hard when things dry up. But unfortunately where I am 80% of my yards stay wet and soft and trying to run mowers across them just to stay on schedule would result in a sloppy job and also damage to the yard. The end result will be very unhappy customers the next day when they look at their yard in the nice sunshine with ruts and grass patch's that are torn up from turning. So the best advice is to use common sense. If you feel that things are too wet or are not safe than you have your answer. Do not second guess yourself because that is when accidents happen.

Comment

We don't cut wet grass. Ever.

Comment

We don't cut wet grass. Ever.
                              Smart move. Same here. I usually wait at least an hour after it rains to resume mowing.
                              integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X