Lawn Renovation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Renovation

This is the first picture of my lawn renovation. This is my front yard. It was covered with yellow oxalis. I sprayed with weed killer for two weeks. The picture is taken after raking all the dead vegetable matter out. spreading seed, harrowing, and covering with peat moss. the second is 7 days later, after the seed started to sprout. As you can see not all of the old lawn was killed as it was grass.
    Attached Files

Very nice! Do you feel you learned any lessons from this process that you can apply to customers in the future?

Would you do anything differently?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

This is a small area, only maybe 500 to 1000 sf. I have time down for each step, and cost of material. So I can now figure how long and how much ( I hope) it would take to do a larger area. Then I can start adding this to my list of services.

As for doing differently, no for this small area I cannot think of anything I would do differently. Bigger areas maybe using a dethatcher on the mower, and spreading straw instead of peat moss ( it keeps the moisture in better and longer) because people will not water 3 to 5 times a day as I am doing (this is my house).
      Last edited by stevef1201; 04-12-2014, 03:17 AM.

Comment

OP- of you will, post future progress pictures in 14 days or so.
        I would like to see how it comes in around the edges as it appears there will be no growth in those areas .
        Keep us posted, thanks

Comment

OP- of you will, post future progress pictures in 14 days or so.
          I would like to see how it comes in around the edges as it appears there will be no growth in those areas .
          Keep us posted, thanks
          Because the seed is supposed to take 7 to 21 days to germinate, and it has 3 different kinds of seed, I plan on doing a 14 day 21 day and 28 day update. This is a yard that I have spent the last two years trying to simply get rid of weeds. Spurge which the only weed killer that seemed to work on was roundup (killed what little grass there was), the oxalis which is a bitch to kill (still have a little of that) add shaded areas, hot sunny areas, unreliable rainfall. This has been a project. I tried several different types of seed last year and got nada. Hopefully this year is the year.

Comment

Have you seen other lawns in the area with this kind of problem? Would it be worthwhile creating some marketing material with before and after pictures to promote this lawn renovation service?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

This is day 14, I just mowed so the tire marks are visible. This is Pennington sun and shade grass seed mixture. I have had a problem with shady areas not growing any grass just weeds. Sprayed the mulch areas with round up type of herbicide, and will start putting in new mulch next week. There is no grass near the road-I f'ed up and blew the dirt etc off the road and of course blew the seed off the edge of the lawn. I will put a little seed down there later. I am just so happy that right now the lawn looks like a lawn. Two guys who live down the street came by today and overheard one say wow that is a good looking yard. I am posting on FB so others will see the difference maybe it will bring about some business.
              Yes Steve I do plan on using this series of photos in an upcoming advertising. I noticed a lot of lawns that seem to be nothing but weeds. I have two customers with now that I am working on their lawns (weed and feed, seed, and hay to cover until germination.) I hope to sell several lawn reno's in that neighbor hood. It is upscale so we will see.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by stevef1201; 04-19-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Steve1201, its looking good! Do you know exactly what type of grass seed is in the mix?

We have a mix that works well up here...a mix of Rye/Fescue and Bluegrass, and it works really good even in the more sandy areas as well.

Comment

Looking good so most likely most off that is rye grass it dyes in the souther states when start getting hot

Comment

I believe it's rye, fescue and Bahia. but not sure, Pennington doesn't put the mixture on the bag. and your right rye will only last about 6 -12 weeks, but by the time it dies off the other should be up.

Comment

Yeah Rye and Fescue both do good up here in the cooler climate.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X