4 ft high Tree Saplings/vines infesting grassy yard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 ft high Tree Saplings/vines infesting grassy yard

So I got a call to a house today and the ladies wants all these saplings taken out of her grass, a friend recommended I pull them by hand if I can, but if I cant what should I do? I was hoping to knock em down with my pole saw then treat the area with something that will kill baby trees, but not lawns , and advice is appreciated thanks

Good luck finding something that will kill the saplings and not the grass.

Don't know of anything strong enough to kill trees, even young ones but not the grass.

I would recommend Remedy Ultra, Round-Up and Surfmark. Yes it will kill the grass but it will also kill the trees. Just mowing them or cutting them down won't do the trick. They will come right back. And if you cut them down you can't spray them afterwards, unless you use a soil steralizer which will kill the grass for the next 8 months.

Solution is don't let them start coming up. Keep the yard mowed before you ever have the issue.

Comment

Can you hit them with a small stump grinder and take out the main root structure? That should do it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hyAgbQxyIkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

An old timer once told me if you cut down the trees and paint the stumps with round-up concentrate (not mixed) that will kill them. Haven't tried it myself yet as I just heard about it last fall. Sounds like it would work though and he has been dealing with plants and problems for many years.

Comment

That round idea could work, and I'm not saying it won't.

But round-up works by stopping the photosynthesis process of a plant or whatever you spray it on. Photosynthesis is the process in which a plant makes its own food from the sun light. Typically when you take the leaves away (what does the photosynthesis) you can't kill it with a product that kills by stopping photosynthesis. With that being said, I have read on some products that, it will kill what you spray it on if it comes in contact with green bark or foliage. Round up is NOT one of them. And even if you sprayed straight round up on the tree stubs, you would still kill the grass around them. Just my .02.

I would recommend getting a spray bottle and mixing the round up strong 7ounces per gallon. Then spray the leaves of the trees carefully and see if that works. Add a little dawn dish soap to it to help it stick.

Comment

That round idea could work, and I'm not saying it won't.

But round-up works by stopping the photosynthesis process of a plant or whatever you spray it on. Photosynthesis is the process in which a plant makes its own food from the sun light. Typically when you take the leaves away (what does the photosynthesis) you can't kill it with a product that kills by stopping photosynthesis. With that being said, I have read on some products that, it will kill what you spray it on if it comes in contact with green bark or foliage. Round up is NOT one of them. And even if you sprayed straight round up on the tree stubs, you would still kill the grass around them. Just my .02.

I would recommend getting a spray bottle and mixing the round up strong 7ounces per gallon. Then spray the leaves of the trees carefully and see if that works. Add a little dawn dish soap to it to help it stick.

Comment

The application I am talking about was "painted" on with a brush. Spraying trees with round up usually just "hurts there feelings" and the bounce back shortly after. They do have a few brush killers on the market but I have not experimented with these either.

Comment

You can pour a gallon on a stump if you want, but it will come back.

I would try the mixture of remedy ultra, round up and surf mark. And paint this on the leaves, that should take care of it. I know I spray it on 15 ft tallow trees and they die and it doesn't take very much.

Comment

4" saplings? Perfect.
                  Get a 2" auger bit, drill holes, insert dynamite. Duh?!

Though I do think drilling 1" holes at least 6" deep and filling the newly made baby stumps with KNO3 (generic stump remover/oxidizer for solid rockets) should do the trick.

Comment

So I got a call to a house today and the ladies wants all these saplings taken out of her grass, a friend recommended I pull them by hand if I can, but if I cant what should I do? I was hoping to knock em down with my pole saw then treat the area with something that will kill baby trees, but not lawns , and advice is appreciated thanks
                    I have had good results with a farm jack. If you can get a good hold of a small tree or bush, the farm jack will pull it out of the ground with the roots and all. I bought this jack from Harbor Frieght for $50. It jacks up 42" high at 3-1/2 tons.
                    Attached Files

Comment

With all these great suggestions, which did you finally decide to go with?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                      X