Dethatch or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dethatch or not?

I have had a lot of customers ask about the thatch in their lawns. I have done this before, but I'm unsure how to answer their question about when it should be done. I know it's best to dethatch in the spring, but is there a certain amount of thatch you should look for to justify dethatching it?

In North Central Oklahoma we normally "Scalp" the Bermuda every spring. We have not "Thatched" in years. The scalping takes care of that problem. In Wichita since you have a combination of Fescue and Bermuda yards I would suggest ust taking the Bermuda down to about a 1/2 to 3/4 in. The Fescue would be cut at it's normal hieght.

Comment

I know it's best to dethatch in the spring, but is there a certain amount of thatch you should look for to justify dethatching it?
      Do the customers ask you to justify it or do they simply say they want it? If they want it, I would just give the people what they want.

Other than that, we've talked about no more than a 1/2 inch of thatch before it should be dethatched on here in the past.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Rake a small patch with a manual de-thatching rake, if lots of gunk comes up, power rake it, if not much is removed it's likely unnecessary.

Though you can usually just look at it and be able to tell if there is a significant thatch build up.

Pretty simple, no?

Comment

I do not recommend power raking yards anymore. Instead, I talk them into core aerating. It is so much more beneficial for the lawn. Besides, in the spring, people are misinformed when they think their grass is "dead". Most of it is still dormant, and with new grass germinating, you will just be raking them up too. I only do my cores in the Fall though.

Comment

Working...
          X