Lawn dethatching clean up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn dethatching clean up

So I have 2 jobs tomorrow dethatching about 2 acres, I've done my own yard and I mowed over the dethatched grass a few times to pick it up. I've seen videos of people raking the dethatch onto a tarp, I've also seen videos of people blowing it in to a pile, ive also heard using your riding mower and blowing it into a pile... what do you prefer??? what is the easiest method in your opinion? Thanks in advance

A bagged or sweeper. Mowing over it will just put the thatch back into the ground. A customer that allready knows how to dethatch may question your knowledge if you mow it over.

Comment

A bagged or sweeper. Mowing over it will just put the thatch back into the ground. A customer that allready knows how to dethatch may question your knowledge if you mow it over.
      Ummmmmmm huh????? Not if you bag it.

Comment

That's hilarious, if you mow with a bagger, how would they question it?

Comment

guess I'm going with the old school traditional way of raking it on to the tarp. maybe on my second job if the customer isn't there ill try blowing it into a pile

Comment

guess I'm going with the old school traditional way of raking it on to the tarp. maybe on my second job if the customer isn't there ill try blowing it into a pile
            Having a triple bagger on my ferrisz3100 helps a lot, but because the thatch has so much volume and wont pack itself down, it takes about 30 seconds for it to fill 10 bushels.

another method I have used is to get orange snow fencing, snow stakes and make a crescent or half circle at the end of the property near the road and blow all the thatch into the snow fence to make a big pile. I then use a leaf loader and vac it into the back of the dump and after it fills the dump to the top and the tarp is bowing out, I get up in there and jump on it to pack it down, and repeat till all the thatch is done, 2 acres will be a lot.

I also have a jrco de thatcher on the front of the mower, nothing like dethatching 7 acres in an hour...
            Attached Files

Comment

I was told the tines on my riding mower isn't exactly what customers are looking for, but really dethatching it wasn't the hard part it was cleaning up after. We blew it all into considerate piles then raked them from there, It was a little over an acre, and took us basically all day, I like the vacuum idea for sucking it up though once in piles

Comment

What? You need to pick up a book and educate your self.

Comment

Oops I meant bag or use a lawn sweeper but if you mow over it so many times it will just get mulched and become thatch again

Comment

Oops I meant bag or use a lawn sweeper but if you mow over it so many times it will just get mulched and become thatch again
                    No, if you have a bagger it will go into the bagger.......

Comment

Still wrong, get that book.

Comment

No, if you have a bagger it will go into the bagger.......
                        Duh I meant if you mow over it until it is on a tarp it will go back into the ground

Comment

Duh I meant if you mow over it until it is on a tarp it will go back into the ground
                          Grass clippings are not thatch.

Here is a little help so you don't sound bad.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/thatch.html

Comment

You have absolutely no I dea what your taling about, do you?

Comment

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard of!! Greg are you sure you are in the right profession/industry, because you seriously don't know what you are talking about....

Comment

Working...
                              X