Products to prevent weeds in flower beds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Products to prevent weeds in flower beds

I mostly deal with country and/or rental properties that have little or no flower beds. I recently was asked by a potential customer for a price to do her property in a nice neighborhood that has massive flower beds. Asked her to give me a couple days to come up with an accurate quote. I'm looking at around 700 sq ft of flowerbeds and was wondering if anyone can tell me what works best for them with weed control around the shrubs, rose bushes, and seasonal flowers along with how I should charge for the application.

Have the flowers already started to grow or could you use a Preemergent herbicide?

Also, I hope you have a license to apply it.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

diesel and then mulch on top... Unless she wants to keep the flowers.

There is Nothing that will KEEP weeds out. The best you can do is slow them down. Now if you were to mulch with grass clippings, that does work to keep weeds down.
      Pat

Comment

What's your thoughts on using diesel over any other product?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

No License yet. I am looking into getting one but for now I have a thing going where if my customers want me to use Roundup to spray a ditch or certain areas, I'll spray it for them for $5 to $10 depending on how much needs to be sprayed and they supply the Roundup or what ever brand they buy.

Yes, flowers are out down here in Louisiana.

Diesel? Um.... I wouldn't want that smell hanging around my house for a few days. Yea it works. My dad uses it along fence lines at his place.

Comment

I found something for you....

Preen Weed Preventer, it prevents the germination of new weeds but will not kill existing weeds. Pull all weeds from beds and apply per directions. You may have a few weeds come up, that had already germinated but not broke the surface. I have a customer who has used it and says she truly likes it. and yes her beds stay weed free. I have never used it just did some asking and reading. Hope this helps.

Comment

I found something for you....

Preen Weed Preventer, it prevents the germination of new weeds but will not kill existing weeds. Pull all weeds from beds and apply per directions. You may have a few weeds come up, that had already germinated but not broke the surface. I have a customer who has used it and says she truly likes it. and yes her beds stay weed free. I have never used it just did some asking and reading. Hope this helps.
              Yeah, that Preen stuff works. I use it. SNethercutt is right- it won't kill existing weeds. It will slow down and prevent weed growth for up to 3 to 4 months. Its usually 3 I think.

Comment

Awesome, I'll go out looking for it in town tomorrow. I'll deal with pulling a few weeds to start but if that Preen helps keep it from being an every week thing then I'm gonna stick with it.

Comment

A few things to keep in mind is when you now, don't blow the discharge of the mower into the beds, and blow out what ends up in there from the string trimmer. Well keep and seeds from the grass/weeds in the yard from germinating... just my .02

Comment

I don't know of any chemicals but I know a lot of old timers laying down newspapers in there gardens with soil over top and that seems to work pretty well

Comment

I don't know of any chemicals but I know a lot of old timers laying down newspapers in there gardens with soil over top and that seems to work pretty well
                      No different than the plastic weed barrier you buy, except that the news paper will decompose. If the dirt you put onto has seeds in it , they will germinate if nothing is done to prevent it.

I just pull the weeds, the big ones that are easy to see then I treat with round up every week for a month. If you get the weeds before they mature and produce seeds, then you can eliminate the problem. But you must be careful when using round up because it can kill anything you get it on. And the bigger plants that you get it on, it will kill a big section of it and your customer will really be mad.

Comment

Preen is suppose to work pretty good, but what is planted in the beds? If its annuals go for it, but perennials you might want to think twice. There are many perennials that re-seed themselves and preen will prevent that from happening. Unless of course the customer doesn't mind buying more every year then go for it. Personally I would try to talk them into a maintenance program for the beds and just weed out the beds every week or two. At the same time you can be dead heading flowers cutting back plants that are done for the season and watching for pest damage. Its all $$$ in the bank.

Comment

Working...
                        X