Lawn maintenance schedule.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn maintenance schedule.

Hello! All of my business has been no contract business. But I have a new customer that is going to switch to my services from a company that was by contract and has asked for a maintenance schedule. Fertilizer, pre emergent, etc... I have a rough idea on this but I didn't know if there was a template out for this or would a simple excel spreadsheet work?

Thanks!

Hello! All of my business has been no contract business. But I have a new customer that is going to switch to my services from a company that was by contract and has asked for a maintenance schedule. Fertilizer, pre emergent, etc... I have a rough idea on this but I didn't know if there was a template out for this or would a simple excel spreadsheet work?

Thanks!
    P.S. I live in North Texas

Comment

Thanks!
      Are you looking for a schedule on just fertilizing? Can you elaborate?
      Last edited by GreenBlue; 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I guess so along with mowing and hedge trimming. I have never done one and usually do it as needed.

Comment

I guess so along with mowing and hedge trimming. I have never done one and usually do it as needed.
          If you are looking for mowing, usually its every week unless a customer wants bi-weekly (every 2 weeks) hedge/shrub/bush/small tree trimming that's usually a every two week type thing or as needed, at least that's how it is where I live and that's what competitors have told me from me calling around trying to find out information, edging is usually done bi-weekly.

Where I live and the fertilizing schedule that's commonly used is as follows: February/April use a fertilizer that prevents crab grass. April/June use a weed and feed fertilizer, June/August use another fertilizer that prevents crab grass, September/November[/B] use a winterizer fertilizer. You can do a search on Google to find fertilizer application schedules for your area, but this should give you an idea and hopefully this helps.

Comment

Also usually in March/April and September/October is when people verticut/aerate/overseed. The winter fertilizer is done between October/November, so there's actually about 5 schedules, but most only do 4, or at least that's what I'll be doing. But as I said, use Google and it can give you a schedule best suited for your area.

Comment

I Googled this for you and found this schedule since you are in North Texas.

http://www.ktrh.com/pages/gardenline-lawn.html

For southern grasses including: St. Augustine, Bermuda and Zoysia

FERTILIZE - four times a year:
              Late February-Early March - apply a simple 15-5-10 for an early green-up. Most companies that make slow-release fertilizers also make a nonslow-release 15-5-10 that provides for a quick two-week green up before we get to the heart of the fertilizer schedule. Some people will be tempted to use a weed-and-feed at this time, but if you've been following the GardenLine herbicide schedule, there should never be a need. However, spot weed-and-feed treatments are recommended for those with turf-only landscapes or landscapes that have been established for many years. Warning: Most weed-and-feeds contain Atrizine which burns roots of young trees and shrubs.

Late March-Early April - apply slow-release 3-1-2 ratio fertilizers.
              Recommended formulations:
              19-4-10 Nitro Phos Super Turff
              18-4-6 Fertilome Southwest Greenmaker
              18-0-6 Fertilome's Zero Phosphate Formula
              15-5-10 Southwest Fertilizer Premium Gold
              20-0-10 Bonide Premium Lawn Food

Late June-Early July - apply slow-release 3-1-2 ratio fertilizers.
              (recommended formulations 19-5-9, 19-4-10, 18-4-6, 15-5-10.)

October-November - apply winterizer formulas for winter hardiness. Ratios vary, but make sure they are "winter" or "fall" formulas designed for southern grasses.
              (examples: 18-6-12, 8-12-16, 10-5-14) Will make lawns winter-hardy.

June-September - if turfgrass looks yellow (chlorosis) or necrotic, use an application of either granular or liquid iron. Once a year should be enough.

FUNGICIDE - two times a year:
              July-September - Gray Leaf Spot is a blotchy spot on the grass blade leafs. (mostly on St. Augustine lawns) Use fungicides with active ingredients like Daconil, Consan or Banner.

September-October - To control the dreaded Brownpatch fungal disease (symmetrical brown circles in the grass) you must prevent it from coming up with a systemic lawn fungicide with Bayleton, Terrachlor, Banner or Benomyl.

HERBICIDE - three times a year:
              (Pre-Emergent controls to prevent weeds)
              Late October-Early November - Use two (2) different pre-emergent herbicides, to prevent the weeds that we experience in February and March. First is a pre-emergent with Portrait or Gallery for broadleaf weeds like clover. Second, use a pre-emergent with Amaze, Betasan, Balan or Treflan for grassy weeds like poa anna or annual bluegrass. There is also Barricade, Dimension or Pendimethlin as a 2-in-1 control.

February-March - Use the pre-emergent controls for grassy weeds again, to prevent such weeds as Crabgrass, Goosegrass and Dallisgrass from popping up late in the spring and summer. Again, use the grassy pre-emergent like Amaze, Betasan, Balan or Treflan. There is also Barricade, Dimension or Pendimethlin as a 2-in-1 control.

May-Early June - One more application of a grassy pre-emergent like Amaze, Betasan, Balan, or Treflan will keep fall weeds from invading from August on. There is also Barricade, Dimension-based or Pendimethlin as a 2-in-1 control.

INSECTICIDES It is our belief on GardenLine, as a way to be kind to the environment, that you do not put down insecticides unless you know you have a problem. However, be prepared during the hot summer months July through September to attack chinch bug damage. This will show up as irregular shaped spots in the lawn along the concrete. Any liquid insecticide, like Permethrin or Cypermethrin, will treat the spot well. Then apply a granular insecticide like Deltamethrin or granular Permethrin in a broadcast applicator throughout the rest of the yard.[/I]
              Last edited by GreenBlue; 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

This is perfect! Thank you! Do you think a simple excel spreadsheet would work? Month on top and down would be each service? Or is there a better way or template? Thanks again this info is great!

Comment

This is perfect! Thank you! Do you think a simple excel spreadsheet would work? Month on top and down would be each service? Or is there a better way or template? Thanks again this info is great!
                  Are you planning on making the template as a guide for yourself or is this a template to show customers what your schedule is?

Comment

That is randy lemon. He is the resident expert in my area for plants gardens trees and grass. I follow his schedule to a T. He recommends nitro phos fertilizer. It is an awesome product and I buy directly from nitro phos. I definitely recommend their product if its available in your area.

Comment

Are you planning on making the template as a guide for yourself or is this a template to show customers what your schedule is?
                      Well its to present to the customer.

Comment

Well its to present to the customer.
                        Are you going to edit this schedule because I would suggest copying and pasting it into a Word Document or if you know Excel you can do that too, but I would remove the fertilizer types such as XX-XX-XX as most customers don't know what these numbers mean and this is mainly for your information so you know what product to buy to put on your customer's lawn. You should be able to edit it to where it talks about the type of fertilizer you'll be using for each application stage in the year on your customer's lawn. If you gave it to a customer as its written you'd have a customer who's confused, as most people aren't aware of the different varieties of fertilizers, most just assume anything will work or simply don't care. Once you create the schedule, upload it on here so that we can make sure it looks like it should and either I or someone else can help you get it that way if need be.

Comment

i would not remove the numbers. i would reword that document, and send it out leaving the letters. It makes it seem like you know what you are talking about when they read it. But I stick to using the same fertilizers year round, like sweet green in january, 15-5-10 in february, 19-4-10 super turf in april... and so on. And i follow the same schedule every year. Doesnt change. I do soil test my yards every year and will make adjustments to the ones that need it.

Comment

Please view the attachments to see the effects of this fertilizing schedule, this is the first year i have fertilized this yard and this is 1 month to the day after the first treatment. It is my yard but we just moved in so dont mind the landscape fixing that as we speak.

Well i was going to attach them but it wont let me so i uploaded them to my site, so please view these links.

www.nmclandscaping.com/images/02172013.jpg

www.nmclandscaping.com/images/03172013.jpg

And i went and bought plants today, due to the rain, and i will upload those as soon as i get a chance.

Comment

Please view the attachments to see the effects of this fertilizing schedule, this is the first year i have fertilized this yard and this is 1 month to the day after the first treatment. It is my yard but we just moved in so dont mind the landscape fixing that as we speak.

Well i was going to attach them but it wont let me so i uploaded them to my site, so please view these links.

www.nmclandscaping.com/images/02172013.jpg

www.nmclandscaping.com/images/03172013.jpg

And i went and bought plants today, due to the rain, and i will upload those as soon as i get a chance.
                              Looks pretty good.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X