What do you think of this request?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this request?

A potential customer contacted me thru my fb business page and asked if I could handle this job:

"...we have a company come out the first mow of the spring to cut it short, bag and trim. We have almost half acre."

I'm like: "yes I would love the opportunity to earn your business."

Wondering if anyone else cuts the first mow of spring short? And if so why?
    Thanks in advance!!

I would find out what they consider short ? You don't want to go crazy on a first cutting....

I think they may just want it tamed back down and the clippings picked up ?

Comment

I would find out what they consider short ? You don't want to go crazy on a first cutting....

I think they may just want it tamed back down and the clippings picked up ?
      lol I went to see the property today. They hire a company to come in on the first mowing and cut it on lowest setting, bag the grass and haul it off. It's on a 1/4 acre...

Comment

Bet it looks like crap too.

Comment

Did they say why they want it scalped?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

People are stupid. It's simple really.

I can't tell you how many people have hired me and told me "cut it as short as possible, I don't want the lawn to be mowed for weeks, hopefully months".

No matter how much I explained to them that shorter does NOT equal cutting less frequently. They just don't listen.

I cut it at a reasonable height, and tell them that I don't do that. Cutting it "as short as possible" is the best way to kill a lawn. Then they never hire me again.

Comment

i have a few customers that want it cut short as well but I dont scalp it, about 1-1/2 inches the lowest but I cut it that way last year all year long & it was green & looked great all year, but we also had a good year for rain too! (Not typical to have rain all year)The roots of the grass grow deeper in the spring & fall of year, & get most of there nutrients from that,so you can get away with cutting a little shorter if needed but should raise back up in middle of summer for sure...stick to the rule of cutting 1/3 the blade length is always best..

Comment

What kind of grass?

Comment

What kind of grass?
                  The one guy put down his own seed when he expanded his lawn. I think he said he used a mix of rye/fescue/ & another I think blue & it grows pretty fast..The year before last it would get out of hand even in mid summer during the hotter months..I usually cut between 2 1/2 to 3 inches & I would have to go over it twice in some area's...so we decided (at customers request) to cut shorter last year & it worked well. I would have thought for sure it would burn up in mid summer but it held up really good, but like I said before we had a really big year for rain last year too...

Comment

Working...
                  X