One Time Lawn Mowing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Time Lawn Mowing

Does your landscape or lawn care company offer One time Mowing?
    08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
    05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
    4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
    3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
    1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
    20' Enclosed trailer
    18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
    2012 - S185 Bobcat

I don't accept one time mowing unless the planets align. In other words, if someone calls and requests it, has the money in hand, the lawn is near enough to a lawn I'm doing that day and I feel nice.

I never feel nice.
    Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

There are rare occasions established lawn care providers will take on a “one time lawn mowing” jobs. Most hate to refuse work, but there are times they just have to. Newer lawn care providers may take on these type’s of requests in order to build-up a base of accounts, but soon will realize that they will have a hard time relying on a weekly income.

Receiving these particular calls, many customer’s can’t believe in this economy someone would refuse work. Established lawn care providers have a list of factors when making any decision regarding one time mowing:

Wear & tear on equipment
      Client location
      Maintenance of equipment
      Scheduling
      Customer service
      Fuel
      Hourly wages
      Insurance

All landscape provider’s must watch the bottom line more accurately and wisely these days, since the cost of living continues to rise. Having such a demanding weekly schedule, not losing sight of their beginnings, and learning from their mistakes will help them adjust to their growth. Not losing sight that lawn mowing is their bread and butter, can only lead to success.

Being your own boss comes with responsibility that probably was not well thought out in the beginning and usually the following questions arise, maybe by word a mouth or maybe they read an article(like this one) somewhere: How much for insurance? Workmen Compensation? Fuel per month? Hourly wages? Part and labor costs? These are only a few of the most over-looked aspects of this industry.

When a potential client should all for a “One time lawn mowing“, they need to let them know that their schedule is set up for weekly lawn care , recommend them, or actually accommodate for this one time. Being upfront about your business and the services you provide will go along way. Some customers may not appreciate straight forwardness, but it will serve you well in the long run. “NO” is a word when implemented with kindness, can be respected.

If you have lost the passion or love of your niche, don’t just hang it up or quit. Take a step back and start over, YES I said start over and reevaluate your commitment to yourself and business and whom ever else will be affected by decisions you make. Growing and running a business can be scary in this economy or any economy for that matter. Having the right people in place for your operation can give the provider an opportunity to market and promote. Unless they have just enough accounts and figure there is no point to growing the business anymore. The landscape industry is demanding and only hard working and committed individuals are allowed.
      I dunno... as someone with an advertising background it rubs me the wrong way. There's too much of a "negative" attitude in it. You want to address the situation in a positive manner. As it stands, it makes sense to "us", but as a consumer, I'd view it as a complaint against clients.

That doesn't come across as well as I had intended, but I hope it made some sense.

Comment

I don't accept one time mowing unless the planets align. In other words, if someone calls and requests it, has the money in hand, the lawn is near enough to a lawn I'm doing that day and I feel nice.

I never feel nice.
        If we do, it would have to be close to our route and already maintained...none of that "I hope there is no boulders in this grass"
        3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
        1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
        20' Enclosed trailer
        2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

Yup
          But I charge a premium for doing it and I explain that right up front.

Comment

I dunno... as someone with an advertising background it rubs me the wrong way. There's too much of a "negative" attitude in it. You want to address the situation in a positive manner. As it stands, it makes sense to "us", but as a consumer, I'd view it as a complaint against clients.

That doesn't come across as well as I had intended, but I hope it made some sense.
            Your right. It did sound pretty negative.
            3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
            1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
            20' Enclosed trailer
            2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

What's your view on how that all should be reworded to sound more pleasant?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I have the same exact problem. Trying to get my clients to understand the reasons behind my, "NO".

Tends to always seem so negative, and the clients get all offended for no reason.

Good luck brotherrrr!

Comment

We do it & charge more than for a regular cut - provided it can be scheduled on a day we are in that area. An email confirmation is nice too.

I agree with Hedge about the advertising bit - I wouldn't list it at all. Would rather have to sort through a few more calls than potentially turn away work that I might be interested in.
                  Evansville Lawn Mowing
                  Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

I have the same exact problem. Trying to get my clients to understand the reasons behind my, "NO".

Tends to always seem so negative, and the clients get all offended for no reason.

Good luck brotherrrr!
                    There are ways to say "NO" to a customer, but we all know how people are in general...so it will most likely be 50/50 they take offense. Focusing on the word "No"...is reflecting on my always saying "YES" (YES MAN) Yes sometimes can get you into trouble or take on work that may becoming overwhelming. I guarantee you LCO's that say yes yes yes all the time cannot deny they wish they would've just said "NO".
                    3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                    1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                    20' Enclosed trailer
                    2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

In the past nine plus years we’ve grown 60%, so now we really have to watch the bottom-line more accurately and wisely. When a potential client should all for a “One time mowing”, we will either let them know our schedule is set up for weekly lawn care or recommend them to one of our partners that can be serviceable.

Having such a demanding weekly schedule now, we have not lost sight of our beginnings, we have just adjusted to our growth. We have not lost sight that Lawn mowing is our bread and butter. This is not why I started my company nine years ago. The love & passion I have for my industry is as strong today as it was than ( maybe a few more headaches). I’ve learned many things about business, and the biggest one is how and when to say “NO”.
                      When you wrote this and talk about saying no, is this one time mow discussion focused more on new customers or would this apply to current customers you have that you provide other services for and they sometimes want one time mowings too?

Also what's your view on why blog about this? How is it helpful?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

When you wrote this and talk about saying no, is this one time mow discussion focused more on new customers or would this apply to current customers you have that you provide other services for and they sometimes want one time mowings too?

Also what's your view on why blog about this? How is it helpful?
                        "NO" some LCO's feel compelled to take every job as to be pressured, I know I have and for us personally, normally ends up being a dead-end. Even customers we've actually have done work for, would depend on locale.

WHY: This post is directed for those of us in the industry directly.
                        HELPFUL: To get feed back of industry experiences with one time mowings.
                        3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                        1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                        20' Enclosed trailer
                        2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

We do it & charge more than for a regular cut - provided it can be scheduled on a day we are in that area. An email confirmation is nice too.

I agree with Hedge about the advertising bit - I wouldn't list it at all. Would rather have to sort through a few more calls than potentially turn away work that I might be interested in.
                          For sure I would not advertise one time..How much more would you charge?
                          3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                          1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                          20' Enclosed trailer
                          2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

I came up with another reason that I'd take a one time cut. I was sitting on my butt anyway. Doing nothing, phone rang, "Yeah, I'll be there". $60. May as well. I'm lubing up the mower on Thursday and putting it away so this guy snuck in just in time.
                            Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

I came up with another reason that I'd take a one time cut. I was sitting on my butt anyway. Doing nothing, phone rang, "Yeah, I'll be there". $60. May as well. I'm lubing up the mower on Thursday and putting it away so this guy snuck in just in time.
                              That's a good way of looking at it..lol
                              3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                              1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                              20' Enclosed trailer
                              2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

Working...
                              X