Pricing Fertilizer Treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing Fertilizer Treatment

Hey guys. I have a few clients that want me to fertilize their lawns throughout the season. However, I'm not sure how to price this service? Do you price it on a per 1000 sq ft basis? How much do you usually charge?

What about for spot treating the lawn with weed killer as needed?

I also have a few clients with nice lawns, but they still have some weeds here and there. They are interested in getting their lawns in perfect condition. So how much time would one have to spend to get from a good lawn to a great lawn?

I don't have much experience in this. I was just licensed a few weeks ago to apply pesticides so the pricing is confusing me.

I'm in NJ, by the way.

Hey guys. I have a few clients that want me to fertilize their lawns throughout the season. However, I'm not sure how to price this service? Do you price it on a per 1000 sq ft basis? How much do you usually charge?

I also have a few clients with nice lawns, but they still have some weeds here and there. They are interested in getting their lawns in perfect condition. So how much time would one have to spend to get from a good lawn to a great lawn?

I don't have much experience in this. I was just licensed a few weeks ago to apply pesticides so the pricing is confusing me.

I'm in NJ, by the way.

Hey there i havent done much fertilization but i can say just figure the square foot of the property and charge by the square footage. or if you want call a few main companys there and see what they would charge for such service. if you live in a house have them come out and give you a quote. might be able to base it off of that

Comment

Have you checked out your competitors websites? You might get an idea of the going price range of your area by doing so.

Keep us posted on what you find.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I went to the office of Jonathan Green, which is a pretty big turf grass company in the area. I figured out a basic program, and worked out the prices per square footage. Now I have to figure out what to charge. I was thinking maybe a 10% markup on the product, plus 1 man hour of labor charged per application...which is $30 for me. I can't imagine charging any less than that. There would be no point to provide the service. What do you guys think? Say it costs me 50 bucks to get a fertilizer for 15,000 sq ft. I charge them 85....50 w/ 10% markup plus 30 for the work to put the stuff down. Is this too low, too high? i'm lost.

Comment

howe you applying it?

doing a 4 application contract?

give me more info ill get you closer to a formula.
          Last edited by LawnMoore; 05-07-2011, 02:39 AM.
          (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

Is this too low, too high? i'm lost.
            Have you checked around with your competitors websites to see what they are charging? That would give you an idea of what the going rate is. Then you could adjust your prices accordingly.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I went to the office of Jonathan Green, which is a pretty big turf grass company in the area. I figured out a basic program, and worked out the prices per square footage. Now I have to figure out what to charge. I was thinking maybe a 10% markup on the product, plus 1 man hour of labor charged per application...which is $30 for me. I can't imagine charging any less than that. There would be no point to provide the service. What do you guys think? Say it costs me 50 bucks to get a fertilizer for 15,000 sq ft. I charge them 85....50 w/ 10% markup plus 30 for the work to put the stuff down. Is this too low, too high? i'm lost.
              That is pretty close to what we do. Charge a minimum and that covers up to ... sq ft and charge per K sq ft after that is what we do.

If you dont have a minimum your only screwing yourself.
              Colton
              Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

I'm in NJ, by the way.
                easy,do this, have them come to you and bid your yard then tell them thank you.done,done and done.

Comment

My first question is always "are you licensed to apply these products to your customer's lawns?". Depending on your state you could be looking at big fines if you are not licensed.

There is only one real good way that I've found to be consistent and fair and that's to charge a certain amount per square foot plus a stop charge. The stop charge sets your minimum and keeps the cost fair regardless of the size.

If you do something like a straight charge per square foot then the bigger the lawn gets the more uncompetitive your prices get. If you do it without a stop charge then the smaller the lawn is the more you're giving away for free.
                  Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

My first question is always "are you licensed to apply these products to your customer's lawns?". Depending on your state you could be looking at big fines if you are not licensed.

There is only one real good way that I've found to be consistent and fair and that's to charge a certain amount per square foot plus a stop charge. The stop charge sets your minimum and keeps the cost fair regardless of the size.

If you do something like a straight charge per square foot then the bigger the lawn gets the more uncompetitive your prices get. If you do it without a stop charge then the smaller the lawn is the more you're giving away for free.
                    In the first post he mentioned that he just got his license to apply pesticides. I agree that having someone come out and price your property will give you a ball park figure to go by.
                    http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

in my area scotts lawn care service charge about $140 for a a regular size lawn, back and front, i live in southern California. that is about $30 more then all the other guys but they do what they promise.

also it depends on what type of fertilizer you are using and how you are applying it, scotts only apply liquid fertilizer, which is fast release, we do organic fertilizing, compost, which is a bit more expensive about $160 front and back, this fertilizer is slow release and only needs 2 application a year instead of 4-6 with the other companies.

so it depends i hope u look at scotts prices, if you have them in your area. good luck!

Comment

In the first post he mentioned that he just got his license to apply pesticides. I agree that having someone come out and price your property will give you a ball park figure to go by.
                        Ah, sorry. I missed that. I'm so used to fielding these questions from unlicensed that I guess I just assumed. The warning still stands for anyone else reading though.

Please don't waste someone's time by pretending to want an estimate though. I'd rather give you my pricing formula than to see you do something unethical like that.

The reason I never post my pricing formulas is that I don't want to give the information to those without licensing or insurance.
                        Last edited by mark123; 10-12-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Hey mark, by stop charge do you mean always charge 'x' amount for an application regardless of square footage? and then charge them a per sq ft rate on top of it?

That sounds pretty good but I just want you to clarify i'm understanding it correctly

Comment

howe you applying it?

doing a 4 application contract?

give me more info ill get you closer to a formula.
                            wow 5 months later, here is my response (sorry)

1. Right now I am using a broadcast spreader to apply everything (scratching bare spots when applying seed. Looking into a slit seeding device for the future.

2. Here's the 5 application program I'm attempting to sell: Jonathan Green's Basic Program
                            March/April: -MAG-I-CAL (soluble calcium - - substitute for lime)
                            -Spring Fert 19-0-5 w/ Dimension(for crab grass)

May: -Weed & Feed 15-0-5

July: -Summer Fert + Insecticide 18-0-3

Sept: -Fall Fert 25-6-8
                            -Overseeding

Nov: -Winter Fert 10-18-20
                            -MAG-I-CAL

-I also offer an optional monthly broadleaf weed spraying treatment at extra charge.

Right now I've seen some good results using this program. The problem is, I have customers who ask me to start a program in May or June, and it's too late for weed/feed and it screws the whole thing up. Or worse, I have clients asking me to only do certain apps and skip others. I tell them it will not be as effective, but some people care more about their lawn than others.

So, should I offer the program as a whole and decline those who ask for partial service? or should I keep the partials as well? w/ the caveat that they won't see the best results of course.

Comment

Hey mark, by stop charge do you mean always charge 'x' amount for an application regardless of square footage? and then charge them a per sq ft rate on top of it?

That sounds pretty good but I just want you to clarify i'm understanding it correctly
                              Yes, that's correct. The stop charge is how much you want to step onto the property (or drop your trailer gate for mowing).

Comment

Working...
                              X