Landscape fabric/polypropylene/weed barrier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscape fabric/polypropylene/weed barrier

Any thoughts on whether it is worth it or not to use this kind of product when mulching a flower bed. The bed already exists and has a lot of weeds. I plan to either remove or kill the weeds, then put down mulch. Is this fabric worth the investment? I always see flower beds with this fabric sticking out, and it looks horrible.

Bad Idea

I have done mulching for a long time now. I feel it is very unecessary to use fabric when mulching. What the fabric does is create a bottom layer and once the mulch starts to disinigrate and decompose it turns the same thing as dirt anyway. But I would suggest, once it is all cleaned up and the weeds are gone, to put down Preen a product that stops all seedlings form germinating. Thats how I do it and its worked well. Just my 2cents.

Comment

Preen

I forgot to mention the Preen will not hurt the already established plants at all so any flowers or whatever will be fine.

Comment

I have done mulching for a long time now. I feel it is very unecessary to use fabric when mulching. What the fabric does is create a bottom layer and once the mulch starts to disinigrate and decompose it turns the same thing as dirt anyway. But I would suggest, once it is all cleaned up and the weeds are gone, to put down Preen a product that stops all seedlings form germinating. Thats how I do it and its worked well. Just my 2cents.
        i would second that the landscape fabric is a pain later on if you do not mulch deep enough so use a preemergent and skip the fabric good luck man

Comment

if you do not mulch deep enough
          How deep should the mulch be and how does the depth effect weed growth?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X