Are your Blades Sharp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your Blades Sharp?

I was wondering how often does everyone change there blades? And do you guys sharpen your own blades and if so what type of grinder do you use? I change my blades everyday and sometimes depending on how many lawns I have I might use 2 sets. I love to have a fresh and clean cut. I use a bench grinder but i'm trying to find a faster and easier way. I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
    Cyle Hostedler

I've been kinda wondering about this same subject. I know the blades are to be sharp, but how sharp? I've been using a bench belt sander and the results have been good. I wouldn't say you could shave the hair off your arm but close. After the belt sander - a file helps to knock the burr off.
    www.montgomerysqualitylawncare.com

Comment

I used to buy new blades all the time instead of sharpening them. One of my customers sharpens things for a living so he charges me 4 dollars per blade to sharpen and $6 for my chain saw chain. So now I have some extra blades so every week to 2 weeks I take off my blades when i change the oil and put on a sharpened one and take the other one to my customer to sharpen. We kinda barter He give me a bill for the sharpening and I take it off my invoice for taking care of his yard.

Comment

i use a blade sharpener that goes on a drill press

i have 3 sets of blades and i change them at the beginning of every day

i have the others pre sharpened so there ready to go

i did have to toss one however because there was a brick randomly completely in the soil except one little edge.

HOW DOES A BRICK GET THAT FAR IN THE GROUND?AND HOW DID IT GET THERE?

its not a brick house? and even if it were..how does it get this far out?god..i hate that thing..
        Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
        "Where Service is Always in Season"
        Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.

Comment

Just do it when you notice the quality of the cut go down. I don't mean wait last minute, you'll notice way ahead of time before your business is at stake.

I give my equipment a good scrub down & send it in for sharpening. I have no time for sharpening... The truth is, my new dealer often does a little extra for me. I sent it in for repairs & it came back with brand new height adjusters & gear knobs. Wasn't in the bill :P

Comment

All of ours are sharpened and balanced once a week, sometimes more often but that would be rare, I buy sharpening stones from Lee Valley that go on a drill, they ensure bang on results every time. I personally find the price of blades pretty cheap (we run Gator's) I put new one's on for the spring start, keep the old ones as a back up.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...322,54327&ap=1
            Attached Files
            Last edited by picframer; 06-02-2010, 03:51 AM.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
            X