The most dangerous part of the job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most dangerous part of the job?

What do you feel is the most dangerous part of your job?

What has been your worst injury on the job and how do you prevent that from happening again?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Besides pulling trailers and driving issues which can be reduced with proper trainning and follow up courses, I would say hedge trimming for us.

We trim a lot of shrubs, us safety gear yet we have a time or two it happens every year, with a dozen or more times a year where the gear saves cuts.

Two times this year we had knee caps hit by the , one made it through the pants and cut the other pinched the crap out of it, both missed the knee guards.

Comment

Two times this year we had knee caps hit by the
      Do you use gas or electric hedge trimmers? Also are they one sided or two sided?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

They are gas units and most are 2 sided.

The issue generally happens on hard cuttings where they crew has cut a lot of material turned to round the shrub and the blade tip touches their leg befor they realize it's there. Sounds odd but I have asked them to show me and it's possible
        We went to smaller 24" units a few years back and it helped a lot but it still happens. It is always self inflicted and in 15 years I have only had one person hit another persons hand.... Fingers to be exact, leather glove was match and it was a nasty cut ...... And to this day the employee has the scare to talk about durring safety meetings.

Comment

Being held at gunpoint for your wallet. Happened to me this year.
          integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I was in a attempted robbery last year. When I pulled my little friend from my pocket the bad guy dropped his knife and ran into the fast food joint I was servicing then called the police on me. Long story short he went to jail.

If you have a "little friend"....never leave him behind.

Comment

What do you feel is the most dangerous part of your job?

What has been your worst injury on the job and how do you prevent that from happening again?
              I worked with a large lawn care company back in 1994, In those days we were running Bunton and lesco walk behinds 36" decks with a sulky seat that pulled behind the mower. One morning I was mowing this retention area at the church I hit a pot hole and my foot rolled under the foot rest on the sulky wheel, the force was so great and fast it pulled me from the mower and snapped my ankle in 2 places. Bad day!

And I have 2 more story's.

Working on a weekend back in 97 or so, it had been raining all week, but were still working.... nothing but a thang down here. We had a 10" trailer with an expanded metal gate (like most do) One of the workers slipped and fell on the slick trailer gate, his finger went down into the expanded metal and was ripped clean off at the hand. I want to say it was his ring finger if I remember right. Bad Day!

This one happened to me in the summer of 1993, I was a newbie then learning to operate the 36" Gravely with a velky . I had on thick sole work boots with a 1" heel, I did not check the air in the velky tire that day, it was almost completely flat. So im mowing along trying to get used to the control's when WHAM!! My chin hit the grease fitting on the velky! My thick healed work boots grabbed the turf and pulled my feet right off the velky causing me to fall forward and bust myself up. I went down to the ER and received 14 stitches. And a new respect for the small things that can happen. Bad Day!!!

Comment

WOW. I was cringing at these stories! Those velkies are something else!

What happened? Is there a back story you can tell us about? Is there anything you can do differently to avoid this from happening again? Is the area just a bad area that this happened in?

Comment

What happened? Is there a back story you can tell us about? Is there anything you can do differently to avoid this from happening again? Is the area just a bad area that this happened in?
                  I had just put all my equipment back on the trailer after completing a mow for a customer. This guy comes walking down the street and asks me for a business card. As I reached for my wallet and opened it to give him a card, he pulls out a Glock, leans into me while pressing it into my neck and demands that I surrender my wallet or he'll shoot. Considering that the gun was in my neck and not someplace less vital like my shoulder, I decide to hand it over. He then kept the gun pointed at me until he was about 50' away, then sprinted into the adjoining neighborhood. I now carry a Bushmaster .223 semiautomatic rifle in my truck. I could split a toothpick at 500 yards with this gun.
                  Then, I call the cops from my cellphone. It took them 15 minutes to respond to an armed robbery call. This incident happened in Clayton County....no surprise there.
                  integritylawnpro.com

Comment

That is incredible!

Did anything ever come from it?

Having a camera in your truck might help too.

Comment

That is incredible!

Did anything ever come from it?

Having a camera in your truck might help too.
                      Nothing but trouble. I had to call the institutions that had issued me credit & debit cards, my commercial pesticide applicator's license, and others to cancel all accounts and start fresh. The worst part was that there were several customers' checks in that wallet. I called each of them to let them know about the theft so they could stop payment on the checks. All but one were understanding of the situation, stopped payment, and issued me a new check. I told each customer that they could deduct the "stop payment" fee from what they owed me for their inconvenience. The one customer who did not understand took me to civil court and won on the basis that I put their identity/credit rating at risk, caused emotional duress, and that I was negligent in properly securing the payment instrument issued (the check). The judge awarded them payment on that last point. Apparently, Georgia and other states have a law that basically states that if a customer issues payment to a business with sensitive information attached (personal info), it is the business's responsibility to make sure that the identity of the payer is not compromised. EXAMPLE: If I had placed the check in a safe that was hidden under the seat of my truck and bolted down to the floor, and then my truck was stolen, I would be off the hook for the check because the intent of the thief was to steal my truck. The fact that the check was inside is purely coincidental, and proof of security is the fact that it is in a safe. What actually happened was that the thief's intent was to steal my wallet and everything inside it. The wallet was not secure, which proves (in the eyes of the law) I had no intent of securing my customer's identity.
                      I told the judge, "It is no one's fault but the thief for stealing the plaintiff's check". The judge retorts back with, "Wrong, it is no one's fault but YOURS for not securing the plaintiff's payment. YOU'RE negligent, and I'm awarding judgement in favor of the plaintiff."
                      Let this be a lesson to everyone: DO NOT CARRY CHECKS, MONEY ORDERS, OR ANY OTHER FORM OF PAYMENT WITH YOUR CLIENT'S ACCOUNT INFORMATION ON IT. IF A THIEF STEALS IT, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE, NOT THE THIEF......a totally perverted result of a justice system that has gone corrupt.
                      integritylawnpro.com

Comment

That's why I carry a hand cannon in the truck.

Comment

What a life lesson! WOW!

The one customer who did not understand took me to civil court and won on the basis that I put their identity/credit rating at risk, caused emotional duress, and that I was negligent in properly securing the payment instrument issued (the check). The judge awarded them payment on that last point.
                          What were they suing for though? That they didn't have to pay you for that last check that was stolen? Or were they trying to get more money than just that?

That is amazing it got to that point!

Comment

What were they suing for though? That they didn't have to pay you for that last check that was stolen? Or were they trying to get more money than just that?

That is amazing it got to that point!
                            Checks have sensitive personal information on them including contact info for the owner of the account as well as bank contact info and account number/routing number. The court's view was that the plaintiff suffered damages of having to pay a check cancellation fee, go through the process of changing his bank information, and suffer the emotional duress of his identity being stolen.....all because my being held at gunpoint was "negligence".
                            Also, I don't find your view on this ordeal being "amazing" at all. The guy that sued talked smack about me to all his neighbors and I lost about a dozen accounts in that neighborhood because of this.
                            integritylawnpro.com

Comment

sue him for defamation of character, for millions, then settle out of court for about 250K plus lawyer fees. That will teach him to run his mouth

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X