Safety first and foremost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety first and foremost

There was a story on the News today About a tragic accident up here yesterday.
    I guess some guy was clearing a lot,cutting down trees one kicked back at him and hit him in the chest, Killed him...........................................
    I started thinking about it and you know anyone can go out and buy a chainsaw. Take it home pull it out of the box put some fuel in it and start cutting wood.
    Shouldn't there be some sort of training just like going to drivers ed ??
    A car is less dangerous then most power equipment but any Joe off the street can buy and operate this stuff.

I just got this off the Nova Scotia Press page.

GREEN OAKS, N.S. - RCMP say a 57-year-old Nova Scotia man is dead after he was hit by a falling tree.

Police in Colchester County says the man was cutting down the tree when it kicked back and struck him in the chest.

Police say they were called to a wooded area on Riverside Road in Green Oaks around 11 a.m.

The victim died at the scene.

The man's name has not been released.

Police say the investigation has been turned over to the provincial Department of Labour's occupational health and safety division.

Comment

FACT**I've been to jobs where I thank God they called me. Certain personalities just need to stick to what they know. I will be the first to admit, I have no business trying to fix a leak under the sink...lol
      08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
      05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
      4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
      3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
      1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
      20' Enclosed trailer
      18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
      2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

SHHH!!! The reality of this world scares me.

I'm paranoid enough as it is. lololol

Comment

Cheese- just because youíre paranoid doesnít mean the government isnít out to get you

Comment

What causes that? Is that error in the way the tree is cut before it falls or is it error in where the cutter is standing as the tree falls?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What causes that? Is that error in the way the tree is cut before it falls or is it error in where the cutter is standing as the tree falls?
              with out being there it could have been anything or all the above.
              Could have been branches got caught and made the trunk raise up and kick back.
              Could have been the tree fell the wrong way hit something causing it to kick out.
              could have been a downed tree that he was cutting to length that he miss read how it was laying.
              There are so many ways that it could have happened. Chainsaw are dangerous enough the trees are just as bad if not worse.
              Sometimes you can follow all the rules and be the safest worker in the world and it just happens,

Comment

I actually hate using a chainsaw. That is why when I have to cut down a tree for a client I charge top dollar. Same with when I remove snow from a roof.
                Twitter
                Facebook
                LinkedIn
                Website

Comment

if the bottom came up and hit him in the chest then the term to what happened would be the tree " barber chaired " . the tree probably had a slight to heavy lean and he did not have a deep enough "felling knotch" or as we call it the "box cut" or he did not have a knotch at all.

it also could happen if he had a rope in the tree and hooked it up to a machine or truck and pre-loaded too much tension on it, and as soon as he got a couple inche's in BAM it's in his chest before he even blinked a eye.

it is the most common injury and cause of death in felling tree's next to the "widow maker" which would be the top getting snagged and snapping off and coming opposite of the tree's path and usually where the man who cut the tree is standing.

and the sadest part is better felling techniques and proper cuts would have prevented it.

what a shame.

Comment

Sometimes it's a tragic accident and sometimes it's just "thinning the herd".

If training is available it would be advisable to seek it out, however, the thought of "mandatory" training rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

Sometimes it's a tragic accident and sometimes it's just "thinning the herd".

If training is available it would be advisable to seek it out, however, the thought of "mandatory" training rubs me the wrong way.
                      I agree with you on the forced training thing but if you saw some of the customers that come in buying chainsaws you would wonder if it should be required as well. We have refused a chainsaw sell before becouse we did not want to feel responsible for the mans death.
                      I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Did somebody say chainsaw?

-

It's funny how movies, games, etc all act as if chainsaws would be a good weapon choice. They would be the last thing I would ever choose, it doesn't take much for them to jam/screw up.

By the time you get one started, you're already dead.

Comment

I guess most of the time, people just don't realize how much weight and force they are dealing with when they start to saw at a tree. It's very easy to misjudge the weight and force of all that wood.

Then when you go and cut the tree, you think standing behind is the safest place to be but you still can end up getting hit!
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I guess most of the time, people just don't realize how much weight and force they are dealing with when they start to saw at a tree. It's very easy to misjudge the weight and force of all that wood.

Then when you go and cut the tree, you think standing behind is the safest place to be but you still can end up getting hit!
                            I don't know how many times I've nicked my knee and thanked God I was wearing jeans.
                            Usually I just push that work to a small tree company in town. The owner I think may be just breaking 30 years old, and has had all kinds of breaks: Back, leg, collarbone, etc. and he still climbs like a nut!
                            When in doubt, sub it out...
                            Last edited by ringahding1; 01-19-2012, 11:44 PM. Reason: edit text
                            08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                            05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                            4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                            3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                            1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                            20' Enclosed trailer
                            18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                            2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

I think the chainsaw has to be reinvented.

I wonder what other blueprints have been made for cutting branches and trees down that never saw the light of day.

Comment

Working...
                              X