No announcement yet.

Hernia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The surgery is scheduled for next Friday, January 13th. I paid the surgeon the first half as he requested.

I'm a bit weirded out about getting anesthetized.

thats a trip and a half, when i got knocked out they made me sign the waiver and as soon as i got to the last letter on my name the guy hit the plunger and it was lights out.

next thing i know it seemed like 30 seconds later and i had a old nurse talking loud in my face telling me i have to try and urinate and i am just sitting there half daze and barely concious while this old lady got my piece in her hand aiming it in the bucket.

then she finished and walked away and i saw the bucket and it was filled with blood and i was like OMG.

the surgery was for a impacted kidney stone the size of a grape that had points like a star and i got 5 more behind it waiting to strike and i never been the same since nor do i expect to ever be.

i will tell you what, i have had broken bones in my legs, arms and torso i have had countless self induced injuries from stupidity through out my life and i even suffered 3rd degree burns on 27% of my body and i can trully say nothing even came close to the pain and misery of that kidney stone.
    especially when it got to the infection stage and started shutting my body down.
    i would not wish that on anyone and my brother in law has had hernia issues for years and he goes through hell with his.

good luck and i wish you nothing but the best.
    Last edited by dpld; 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

... What was your view on the experience of the surgery?
      I don't think I have a view. The lady said she was going to ask me to take 4 deep breaths. She put a mask on my face and said "OK, deep breath." I tried to say "no, it smells awful." but instead I woke up in a different room.

The mask smelled like new shower curtains.

So far it seems like easy peasy. I'm going to take the Ibuprofen to take the swelling down but I don't think I'm going to need anything stronger.
      Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

I don't think I have a view. The lady said she was going to ask me to take 4 deep breaths. She put a mask on my face and said "OK, deep breath." I tried to say "no, it smells awful." but instead I woke up in a different room.

The mask smelled like new shower curtains.

So far it seems like easy peasy. I'm going to take the Ibuprofen to take the swelling down but I don't think I'm going to need anything stronger.
        Oh man I had Demerol I was in no pain at all I rather enjoyed the first couple of days .
        ICE bag of frozen peas to help with the swelling. Other then that rest and relaxation I read a load of books while I was off played some video games and watch some movies, I had my first two done in the summer so I just sat outside in the sun and read books.

Good luck
        Graham
        AKA: Ducke

Comment

Ugh, I've got swelling and bruising on my, ahem, ... Umm, "twins". Is that normal?

Comment

Mark
            Don't freak out that is completely normal
            I do believe I said in one other post keep a bag of ice or frozen peas handy.
            Give it a couple of days with the ice and the swelling will come down.
            Ya got to put your feet up and relax no straining yourself.
            Ice and Ibuprofen and rest buddy and a cold beer now and then.

Comment

Mark
              Don't freak out that is completely normal
              I do believe I said in one other post keep a bag of ice or frozen peas handy.
              Give it a couple of days with the ice and the swelling will come down.
              Ya got to put your feet up and relax no straining yourself.
              Ice and Ibuprofen and rest buddy and a cold beer now and then.
              Note to self: don't eat the peas at Ducke's house. LOL!

Thanks for the peace of mind. I've been icing and taking the anti-inflamatories but after the surgery I tried to sit at the computer and being upright was a mistake. The doctor gave me no restrictions but I sure don't feel like shoveling sidewalks right now.
              Last edited by mark123; 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Note to self: don't eat the peas at Ducke's house. LOL!

Thanks for the peace of mind. I've been icing and taking the anti-inflamatories but after the surgery I tried to sit at the computer and being upright was a mistake. The doctor gave me no restrictions but I sure don't feel like shoveling sidewalks right now.
                Don't ever trust what a Doctor tells you.
                he most likely never had a Hernia operation before.

Comment

Step away from the snow shovel.

Take your pain meds as directed - don't wait until you feel pain. At that point it takes time for them to work and well... you'll be in pain until they do.

My wife used to work as a nurse. I get that lecture from time to time, so I'm passing it along.

ETA:

Lightbulb moment!

"Ducke's Ice Cold PeaNUTS" - They'll melt in yer mouth.
                  Grab a sack or two today!

Last edited by Hedgemaster; 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X