Need help figuring coverage areas???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help figuring coverage areas???

This has probably been asked before. Approximately how much of an area does a ton of dirt cover? either in SQ FT or CU Yds. Im building an estimate for a customer and for some reason Im having a hard time calculating the ammount of fill dirt im going to require.

Well, it would depend on the depth of the dirt. How thick of a covering are you planning on?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

probably 6-8 inches is the depth. probably 6-8 inches in the back of the flower bed tapering down to the front.

Comment

Ok and what would be the area? In sq. ft. or sq. yards.?

We can then calculate the answer based on "1 yard of dirt = 1.45 tons of dirt."
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

850 sq feet, and also I need to fill an area around an above ground pool. The pool is 25 feet across and the area to be filled is 3-4 feet wide 2 feet deep around 3/4 the circumference of the pool.

Comment

Ok I am going to use the Top soil and mulch calculator located here.

http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341

For the first example. You said you needed to cover a 850 sq ft area. I don't know the exact length and width of it but I am guessing a square area of 29 ft x 29 ft and a depth of 7in.

That would be about 18 square yards of dirt.

Or 18 sq yds X (1.45 tons per yard) = 26.1 tons.

Does that help so far?

Comment

You have been a really big help. I really appreciate the help. I have a question about the software you used. Once purchased is it readily available on my desktop without internet service?

Comment

You are welcome. Let me know how the project goes.

You can see the screen caps of the estimators.

Desktop mow time estimator
                http://lawnchat.com/?p=403
                and
                Lawn care price estimator
                http://lawnchat.com/?p=409

Yes they are stand alone programs that work on your computer and not over the internet.

Comment

Working...
                X