No announcement yet.

When to drop a customer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate you sharing with us your insight in this. I do feel there are things that some businesses do, which propel them to a higher level than the vast majority of other businesses could ever reach.

This sounds like it could be one of them.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

i do a 36 unit strata condo complex and the reason i get called back is because of the ability to be flexable and do the extra things that the others dont. Like ill do the walk about to check the sprinklers once in a wile and leave a note on the next invoice that the irrigation has been checked. For a fee of cource but the costomer has the reliefe of knowing that the sprinklers are good. Just stuff that they dont think of that you can take care of for them.

Comment

We do a lot of strata and condo complexes and I find they're often my best customers. Since it's usually a representative from the strata board or a resident who is working on behalf of the management company, they don't really care about price etc. The cheques always come in on time and they usually tend to not care a whole lot, since it's not their own personal property. That allows me to be more flexible with scheduling.

Comment

What is a strata?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for all the feedback about my problem customer. Here is what I figured I would do.
            First off he is a good paying customer always on time.
            Second he only has me cut his front yard. His back yard is very small.
            Also this is an area which I would like to try to get more customers. So I figured since I only have 15 customers I would put him as my last stop. Keep him this year and see how many more I get next year. Then next year I will raise my price and I'll see if he stays around. I know if I had 150 customers my attitude would be different, right now I have to make due with what I have. Yeah his lawn slows me down but I need the revenue and I cannot hope I get something else to replace him for right now.

Comment

Tell That customer if you change your lines it won't matter. If it was me i would keep mowing with your scag. if he doesn't like it them that you can no longer mow. If you have the time to do, most big companies don't, then keep mowing it. you need to keep you customers happy but at the same time you have to make money. Try to pick up other lawns on that street. Tell them right off that bat that you will be mowing with this commercial. they might not like it at first, but change your lines and they'll get used to it.

Any Know what i should do.
              I have several customers that don't allow me to cut weekly. their yards get out of control and i have to triple cut them. I have told them that my price is only for a weekly cut. I have leanred that i should tell customers right off of the bat that i only mow weekly. What should i do with my old customers that want to be cut on an as need basis?

Comment

Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 22 2008,12:18)]Chuck,

Did you quote her a higher price and then did she turn it down or did you just tell her flat out, you wouldn't do it?

I am wondering if the customer would pay more for a 'manicured job', if I can use that expression like that.
                I just turned it away Steve,
                I'm picking up 3-4 new clients a week. I know I would hate servicing that lawn with a 21" machine and I don't think I'm going to buy 36" hydro stat w/sulky anytime real soon because I don't get many customers with the small gates. It's entirley too hot here. So rather than get it, hate it & drop it when the client has left the state & now has to find somebody new via phone I decided just to steer clear & not offer any estimate at all.

I think my next machine maybe smaller but probably a 48" ZT not a walk behind. So they sa find your niche.... that's just not mine, I'll leave it to somebody else.

Comment

any sign of trouble with customers, we drop them... simple as that. there is so much business out there, that you shouldnt stress about that one a-hole!! we know within the first 4 weeks if we will keep a customer. If not, we politely tell them that we are not the company for them and they do not fit in our target market. We are a weekly only service! All this fall in lines with our company policies. (I stress to all of you to develop these now an put them in use...no exceptions).

***Sorry if any of this doesnt make sense, im down a finger and on oxycodine.

Comment

Quote[/b] ]any sign of trouble with customers, we drop them

I have always found that once a customer starts complaining, the complaints are rarely service based.

Customers will often try to make you quit instead of admitting they can't afford to pay or they have found someone "cheaper."

I agree with James. Unless a complaint is specifically resolvable and the customer is happy with the resolution, I am quick to let the whiners go. There is too much other business to waste time and mental energy on them.

Keith
                    Start a profitable lawn care business.

Comment

Working...
                    X