What is your profit margin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

profit margin

I try to keep my expenses (labor, fuel, materials, repairs, etc) to between 50 and 55% of my overall intake. After that, I try to reinvest 25 - 30% back into the business. Whatever is left is profit. I use this formula to aggressively grow the company. I think this much reinvestment is important, both to the growth of the company, and also to ensure the equipment is reliable and efficient. That is critical to minimize down time. Guys standing around or having to go back due to equipment issues will eat into your bottom line quickly. Our company is largely maintenance based, so labor is by far our largest daily expense.

Comment

I usually don't have profit figured out until the job is complete, I'm paid, and all expenses are paid. I usually take home 70% of the total job cost. This is not including paying myself or the time I had to spend in order to complete jobs. However the people that I work with get around 15% of the total job once they are paid. It helps to keep cost extremely low, and to keep it low everyday that you complete work tasks for the community.
      It takes at least two steps to be 3 steps ahead!

Comment

I looked over and the 2 in the back (same age as me) were looking at my truck and laughing.

Let 'em laugh!!!!
        While they are still paying off thier brand new 4x4 with all the bells and whistles, You and I are going to work in our old but reliable pickups.

Mine is a 1993 Chevrolt C1500. I got it for a grand cash. The paint job was crap, But 100 worth of paint, some work, and now it looks as good as any other truck. Signs were 20 bucks eack. and Now MY Truck is looking just as professional as any out there.

I used to work for a guy who had a real old D-6 dozer, it used about 3 quarts of oil a day. I asked why he didnt buy a new one-He told me 'with oil at 89 cents a quart, and a new dozer costing about 80 grand, well I can put a lot oil in that one for 80 grand'. He's right, Its now how new, or how pretty, its will the equipment do the job, cheap enough every day to justify not buying a new one.
        By the way he was RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIICCCCCHHHHH at the time, and I bet his kids are now to as that was 30 years ago, and he was in his 70s then

Comment

Working...
        X