No announcement yet.

Do you own a business yet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote[/b] ]I guess the goal is to get to #3 or #4....

But I kinda like being at #2

I worked in corporate marketing for many years. I often put in very long hours and went above and beyond my job description with not one word of appreciation for it...

Owning my own job beats the heck out of what I was doing and I am content
    I disagree with Tara. Everyone is different though. How is coporate marketing the same as owning and running a business or company. Besides long hours.

I would think everyones goals would to be at #3 or 4. Why wouldn't you want to be even if you kept your business small.

My goal isn't to just own my own job. I want to retire someday and I don't want to do physical labor when I'm 55 either because I never expanded my business beyond myself and a few other guys. I'm not sure how much of the labor Tara does, but yesterday I spent 8 hours digging a trench in the worst clay and rock combo. And no way to get a trencher in. I was very tired. Theres no way I want to be involved in that type of labor when I'm older.

Steve - What do you think about putting the quick post back?
    Rob
    Green Image Lawn & Landscape

\"If you don't feel the same way about Friday nights as you do Sunday nights, then you are not doing the right thing.\"

Comment

Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Dec. 20 2007,10:02)]*My goal isn't to just own my own job. I want to retire someday and I don't want to do physical labor when I'm 55 either because I never expanded my business beyond myself and a few other guys. I'm not sure how much of the labor Tara does, but yesterday I spent 8 hours digging a trench in the worst clay and rock combo. And no way to get a trencher in. I was very tired. Theres no way I want to be involved in that type of labor when I'm older.
      Rob I am betting my husband would probably agree with you on this...he is the one who does the bulk of the labor for our company.

I do not do any hard labor...I just take care of the fun and easy stuff... PR, administration, marketing etc etc etc...so I guess it is easy for me to be content with where I am at *
      Tara Gray
      Green Paws Lawn Care
      http://www.greenpawslawncare.com

Comment

Quote[/b] ]so I guess it is easy for me to be content with where I am at
        Tara - Maybe check with him before you get to content! lol
        Rob

\"If you don't feel the same way about Friday nights as you do Sunday nights, then you are not doing the right thing.\"

Comment

Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Dec. 20 2007,10:41)]
          Quote[/b] ]so I guess it is easy for me to be content with where I am at *
          Tara - *Maybe check with him before you get to content! lol
          Lololololo ...ya think
          Tara Gray
          Green Paws Lawn Care
          http://www.greenpawslawncare.com

Comment

I think ultimately different people go into business for different reasons. When we reflect on these discussions, it helps us realize why we do it and then decide if this is the reason we want or if we want to create a new direction.

Rob, you have a lot of focus and to say what you are saying is the platform for much growth. I am sure if you keep at it, you will get your business where you want it to be.

With the seminars you have gone to and the books you have read, what suggestions do you have for others who might be in your similar situation? What should they do next? Are there any small steps you could recommend?

Quote[/b] ]Steve - What do you think about putting the quick post back?
            I had taken it out because it didnt include a way to attach a file and that was confusing some forum members. If this way gets to be too much of a pain. I can change it back.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Quote[/b] ]
              Rob, you have a lot of focus and to say what you are saying is the platform for much growth. I am sure if you keep at it, you will get your business where you want it to be.

Thanks. Other people have told me that to. I get inspired when I see the big companies with all their fancy new stuff that they CAN afford and is neccesary to the business. This business takes up almost all of my time. I want to learn more about the business side of things. Doing the work is no problem most of the time. And if I don't know how I read and ask questions until I know what to do. (Like the french drain situation.)

Quote[/b] ]
              With the seminars you have gone to and the books you have read, what suggestions do you have for others who might be in your similar situation? What should they do next? Are there any small steps you could recommend?
              Expand your business in small steps so you don't go broke maybe. I don't have to much business experience. Stay out of debt as much as you can. Buy what you need not what you want or what others have. Who cares what people think about you (except customers) when your working. Not to many people just started out at the top. Dont by a big shiny truck just to get a wow from each one of your friends. Thats about all you will get and only one time. After that its not a big deal anymore.

I like to learn about investing and things related to that. I don't want to work later on in life. I want my business and my money to work for me.

If you are in debt and are trying to get out check out John Commuta, Turning Debt Into Wealth. Its a good strategy and I no someone who is using it and its working. Takes disipline. I would get it anyways it will change your thinking.
              Rob

Comment

Rob,

Great stuff!

Now as you look ahead, how important is it to you to find a niche? Have you thought about that and what it would be if you did?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I don't have one yet. I do like mowing alot. But thats not year round. I have customers that want me to come once a month til march but it seems pointless to mow in the winter and its kind of a pain tryin not to tear up the grass because its been raining so much.

I saw a hydroseeder for sale on craigslist for $3500 I was thinking that might be something good to get into. Not right now though.
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X