No announcement yet.

Business Overload

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally see where you are coming from but I have a question for you. You say that you did some great advertising to get these calls to come in?

What was your plan? Before you advertised you needed to make a plan for either a very low amount of calls, a medium amount of calls and a killer amount of calls. Or some kind of plan.....

Before you did any advertising you should have talked about it and set aside in a business account how much you could spend while still making her happy. If she was at $0 or a very low amount then you should have known there was a problem and taken care of it well before you advertised. Now you are 'in to it' and want her to make hasty decisions. While you are probably telling her these fearful amounts (TO HER) maybe try writing it down. Tell her what you did to bring in these calls and what will happen if you don't take advantage of them... ON PAPER... tell her the lowest amount you could get by with realistically (ON PAPER) (honestly the idea above does sound perfect to me too) and then show her on paper the PROFIT that will come from this. Have all this on paper for her to read.

I learned the hard way.... if I try to explain things when I'm excited about them yet she kinda has no idea about it..... I've been thinking about it for months but its all new to her.... I do more confusing her than anything else if I don't write it out for her.

And when you let her read it, take some advice from my big mouth... SHUT UP! ONLY answer a question if she asks. Don't try to go in to detail about anything unless she asks and even then, don't make it a sermon. Just answer her question and move on. QUIET...... ssshhhhhhh

And if all else fails, do like I do, over the years I've set back $23000 and if she doesn't see it your way, you can spend that money. It's not cheating the way we do it... I get money to spend and she gets money, if I have left over, I tuck it away. I do fool her though, she thinks I keep it in a black box and she sometimes needs to go in there and she can see a few hundred, she doesn't realize that's my petty cash drawer
    You're talking like someone who's logical. My wife, well, er, I better just shut up now. Did the whole "show it on paper thing". It does not matter how sound it is on paper, if risk is involved, it's a no-go.
    integritylawnpro.com

Comment

No joke here.... marriage counseling if this is something you are set on doing.

It's too late now but you needed to have a business plan and to have shown it to her since it is 1/2 her money too. If she didn't agree with the plan then either sit down and figure something out or you shouldn't have ever started this business.

On the other hand, it is always easier to ask for forgiveness of spending the money than to ask permission to spend it

Comment

No joke here.... marriage counseling if this is something you are set on doing.

It's too late now but you needed to have a business plan and to have shown it to her since it is 1/2 her money too. If she didn't agree with the plan then either sit down and figure something out or you shouldn't have ever started this business.

On the other hand, it is always easier to ask for forgiveness of spending the money than to ask permission to spend it
        I started the business 10 years before ever meeting her. She thinks counseling is weak. I think I'm going to do what I want to do and let the cards fall where they may. If she gets angry, tough. Part of being business-saavy is knowing when to take calculated risks. For me, there has never been a better or safer time to do it.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

In that case, she knew you owned your own business. If you wasn't so damn handsome she wouldn't have fallen so hard for you. Now she gotta put up with you

Comment

In that case, she knew you owned your own business. If you wasn't so damn handsome she wouldn't have fallen so hard for you. Now she gotta put up with you
            Yep, that's me.....stylin' and profilin'!
            integritylawnpro.com

Comment

It's taking the plunge of buying a commercial space, new rig, and hiring staff. I have the cash, but my wife thinks it better to save it. Last year, I turned down over $150K in sales because I did not have the manpower/resources to complete it. here I am again, and I don't want to turn down any more work. My biggest gripe is that I have put too much effort into marketing, only to turn down the fruit it's producing. Not trying to brag/come off arrogant, but I'm killing it this year. Also, where I live it is against local code to store commercial equipment at one's home (mowers, trailers, trucks, etc.). I have outgrown the home-based business model, and need to acquire a commercial space ASAP, or I will be stuck with one employee and my 65 accounts forever....small change in an industry where billions are spent every year. So, the bottom line is this:
              Wife's View: Don't spend (read:risk) what can be saved (read:security).
              My View: Don't save (read:complacency) what can be invested (read:reward).
              If you haven't already, read The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. I wish I had 65 accounts. Not too far from it. I have one helper and I want to strangle him most days (he's a friend and I know, don't say it!).

Congrats on your success bro and go for it. Newbies like me need you to keep growing so we can pick your brain.

Comment

Everyone reaches that point of "Do I turn down work or expand" because you grew too fast. It's really a matter of wanting the extra stress and expenses (figure close to 10k for a decent truck, trailer and equipment) or not, and believe me it's extra. Will these customers stay or will you have equipment and employees sitting afterward. Personally I'd rather have what I know I can handle and not have my quality of work go down because I'm swamped and rushing jobs. Money can't buy happiness.
                Thank you.. yes. This is where I am at. El Nino has brought a tremendous amount of rain to Texas. Crazy growth...weeds...grass... I have never hired "employees" for a long term, but have hired helpers from time to time for a couple of weeks when the load got to heavy for one person, ME. But trying to take on too many calls that you cant fulfill is also damaging to the pocket book. It can backfire. Not being able to complete a schedule really pisses people off more than doing a ****ty hack job. They would rather have you show up and do a hatchet job than not at all. Im not talking about big grocery parking lots, or banks...shopping centers. Im not in that business. Thats four to eight man crew kind of stuff. Im talking small residentials. Ive learned to bite what I can chew, do a superior job, retain that customer for Fall and Winter services. I dont pull an entire "BARN" behind my truck..I dont have four varieties of weed-eaters hanging on racks, 2 Gravelys, four Honda commercial pushers....no... I have made a good living with a one man, occasional helper type operation. I know a lot of you guys run of 100K a year. Thats great. I cant with what I have. But Im happy where Im at. Im responding to texts and phone calls while chewing on my supper at 8pm, or at the movies....at Walmart...etc...Running to the bank, depositing checks, looking at new jobs, dropping off invoices at realtors offices, in addition to DOING that actual job, of mowing...Oh and I forgot, running to the mower shop for string, blades, plugs....the list goes on. I was not looking for a " way of life" when I started this. I was looking for an alternative to punching a clock at Home Depot selling floor tile and caulking. And I found it. You may laugh, but I run about $1000 a week on the net. In our economy, in my town thats smokin it. Thats kicking *** for ONE guy who created his own job out of a pile of dung with what he had laying around in the garage, who decided to walk off his hourly job at lunch hour one day. We are off ALL FORMS of welfare...months ahead on truck payments, house payments...Im insured up to $2,000,000, which costs a mere $500 a year, Im in damn near every realtors and property managers pocket in my town, very rarely have to advertise anymore, and I pay my taxes.
                Last edited by Mr. Mow; 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you.. yes. This is where I am at. El Nino has brought a tremendous amount of rain to Texas. Crazy growth...weeds...grass... I have never hired "employees" for a long term, but have hired helpers from time to time for a couple of weeks when the load got to heavy for one person, ME. But trying to take on too many calls that you cant fulfill is also damaging to the pocket book. It can backfire. Not being able to complete a schedule really pisses people off more than doing a ****ty hack job. They would rather have you show up and do a hatchet job than not at all. Im not talking about big grocery parking lots, or banks...shopping centers. Im not in that business. Thats four to eight man crew kind of stuff. Im talking small residentials. Ive learned to bite what I can chew, do a superior job, retain that customer for Fall and Winter services. I dont pull an entire "BARN" behind my truck..I dont have four varieties of weed-eaters hanging on racks, 2 Gravelys, four Honda commercial pushers....no... I have made a good living with a one man, occasional helper type operation. I know a lot of you guys run of 100K a year. Thats great. I cant with what I have. But Im happy where Im at. Im responding to texts and phone calls while chewing on my supper at 8pm, or at the movies....at Walmart...etc...Running to the bank, depositing checks, looking at new jobs, dropping off invoices at realtors offices, in addition to DOING that actual job, of mowing...Oh and I forgot, running to the mower shop for string, blades, plugs....the list goes on. I was not looking for a " way of life" when I started this. I was looking for an alternative to punching a clock at Home Depot selling floor tile and caulking. And I found it. You may laugh, but I run about $1000 a week on the net. In our economy, in my town thats smokin it. Thats kicking *** for ONE guy who created his own job out of a pile of dung with what he had laying around in the garage, who decided to walk off his hourly job at lunch hour one day. We are off ALL FORMS of welfare...months ahead on truck payments, house payments...Im insured up to $2,000,000, which costs a mere $500 a year, Im in damn near every realtors and property managers pocket in my town, very rarely have to advertise anymore, and I pay my taxes.
                  More power to you, man.
                  integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Almost me exactly. (except for the Gravely's. It's on my list)

Comment

That is all fantastic to hear and inspiring! What are your thoughts on where you will be in a year with your business? How will it differ?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X