Business Overload

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Overload

This year has been very good.....too good. Customer calls from new prospects wanting service is at an all-time high, and I currently do not have the resources to handle it all.
    I know fairly confidently that the solution is to hire more help and/or get some more productive equipment. The roadblock: getting my spouse on board. Don't get me wrong, she's great, but hates taking any type of risk.
    Have any of you been in this boat, and if so, what did you do to persuade your spouse to see things your way? Thanks.
    integritylawnpro.com

This year has been very good.....too good. Customer calls from new prospects wanting service is at an all-time high, and I currently do not have the resources to handle it all.
    I know fairly confidently that the solution is to hire more help and/or get some more productive equipment. The roadblock: getting my spouse on board. Don't get me wrong, she's great, but hates taking any type of risk.
    Have any of you been in this boat, and if so, what did you do to persuade your spouse to see things your way? Thanks.
    Everyone reaches that point of "Do I turn down work or expand" because you grew too fast. It's really a matter of wanting the extra stress and expenses (figure close to 10k for a decent truck, trailer and equipment) or not, and believe me it's extra. Will these customers stay or will you have equipment and employees sitting afterward. Personally I'd rather have what I know I can handle and not have my quality of work go down because I'm swamped and rushing jobs. Money can't buy happiness.

Comment

What concerns does your spouse have about business growth?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What concerns does your spouse have about business growth?
        It's taking the plunge of buying a commercial space, new rig, and hiring staff. I have the cash, but my wife thinks it better to save it. Last year, I turned down over $150K in sales because I did not have the manpower/resources to complete it. here I am again, and I don't want to turn down any more work. My biggest gripe is that I have put too much effort into marketing, only to turn down the fruit it's producing. Not trying to brag/come off arrogant, but I'm killing it this year. Also, where I live it is against local code to store commercial equipment at one's home (mowers, trailers, trucks, etc.). I have outgrown the home-based business model, and need to acquire a commercial space ASAP, or I will be stuck with one employee and my 65 accounts forever....small change in an industry where billions are spent every year. So, the bottom line is this:
        Wife's View: Don't spend (read:risk) what can be saved (read:security).
        My View: Don't save (read:complacency) what can be invested (read:reward).
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Money can't buy happiness.
          Agreed, it can't....but good planning can bring happiness, as it has for me in the past and present.
          integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Don't get me wrong, she's great, but hates taking any type of risk.
            That is what makes her great buddy!

A great quote: "You can't afford to neglect Opportunity"

A few words that may help you overcome this challenge you are facing.

When you speak to your wife you must not show her fear of the what if, or project weakness of any kind. Gal's now days are sharp! And most can read through the bs. Speak from the heart. Just DO NOT guarantee her anything.

Explain to her that you believe in yourself and the service you are providing You believe deeply in the direction you are going. You have a plan that will be followed down to the number. It will not be possible without her blessings and support. I need you!

Ask her if she believes in you? I am sure she does. If she believes in you she will believe in what you do.

You need to tell her that you are on the ladder of success and climbing...Your passion is providing for your family by way of the company you created.

Your momentum needs to be maintained and without her it will fade.

Life is a chance, breaking through the resistance is only possible with her support.

Ain't no I in team

The trick to my wife was to let her manage the finances. And she has done a fine job!

Well I hope this helps. I type like I talk but you get me.

Wish you well.

Comment

Agreed, it can't....but good planning can bring happiness, as it has for me in the past and present.
              Money can't buy you happiness.
              But it can buy you things to make you happy!

Comment

Can you put together a budget and show your wife how much you will need?

Maybe, if you have not already done so, save up some cash to show her that you can cover those expenses for X amount of months already, and then with the added income, it will pay for itself and bring in what ever your projected growth is.

Could you add a little more equipment to your current truck setup and then have an employee travel with you instead of having him off on his own?

Then you could get more jobs done faster and the cost may be cheaper to go this route?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Good points, and thank you. Let me clarify a few things. First, we do have a strong financial plan using accounting software. We are cash flow positive every month after expenses. Second, there is enough surplus cash at the end of every month to finance any expansion I mentioned without being a detriment to our financial future. Both my wife and I know this. The problem is that she worries, and she worries MORE that I don't worry about anything. Speaking for myself, I have complete confidence that expanding my enterprise will be successful because the plan that I drafted to perform it has been painstakingly planned with redundant safeguards in place to avoid default. When my wife saw this plan and read it, she felt the same way I do about it in that it was sound and solid. She then states, "It's a great plan, but that's too much money to spend on anything". I then proceed to remind her of her 6-figure student loans (which she got before I met her) only to be corrected with, "Well, that's different". It sounds like/appears to be a double standard. For the record, my wife and I do really love each other, and have a great marriage. The above-mentioned issue is quite literally the only complication....I guess that makes me blessed, cause I thank God for her every day.
                  integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Maybe you could find a financial figure that would work for both of you, or a figure that you would need saved up before you could begin expanding?

Or if not that, maybe you could bid newer jobs higher and take on new work that would pay a premium while getting rid of jobs that are not as profitable? That way you would be harnessing all your marketing and trying your best to maximize your potential income at the size you are now.

Comment

I would like to thank y'all for your suggestions. We'll see what happens, and I will keep you posted.
                      integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I look forwards to hearing your updates, what you decide to do and why. It's an individual decision for all business owners to make, but your view on why you chose to do what you do will be able to help others in the future.

Comment

Might be a little late, but I'm with Steve on this one. Seems like a good opportunity to weed out the low profit, time consuming, or rude customers and upgrade them. Also, do you have guys who work with you now on your crew? You could always look at adding a guy for $10/hour and add in another 3-5 lawns a day? Also, if you are getting request for stuff that isn't mowing, you could buy a small truck (like a Ranger) and put yourself in that. Hire a Crew Leader to run the mow crew. Then you can run around in the Ranger and do stuff like irrigation, lighting, chem apps, estimates, check in on other crew, etc. This will be my first step to expansion when I reach that point.

Good luck

Comment

Might be a little late, but I'm with Steve on this one. Seems like a good opportunity to weed out the low profit, time consuming, or rude customers and upgrade them. Also, do you have guys who work with you now on your crew? You could always look at adding a guy for $10/hour and add in another 3-5 lawns a day? Also, if you are getting request for stuff that isn't mowing, you could buy a small truck (like a Ranger) and put yourself in that. Hire a Crew Leader to run the mow crew. Then you can run around in the Ranger and do stuff like irrigation, lighting, chem apps, estimates, check in on other crew, etc. This will be my first step to expansion when I reach that point.

Good luck
                            I said the exact the same thing.....didn't work out too well.
                            integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I totally see where you are coming from but I have a question for you. You say that you did some great advertising to get these calls to come in?

What was your plan? Before you advertised you needed to make a plan for either a very low amount of calls, a medium amount of calls and a killer amount of calls. Or some kind of plan.....

Before you did any advertising you should have talked about it and set aside in a business account how much you could spend while still making her happy. If she was at $0 or a very low amount then you should have known there was a problem and taken care of it well before you advertised. Now you are 'in to it' and want her to make hasty decisions. While you are probably telling her these fearful amounts (TO HER) maybe try writing it down. Tell her what you did to bring in these calls and what will happen if you don't take advantage of them... ON PAPER... tell her the lowest amount you could get by with realistically (ON PAPER) (honestly the idea above does sound perfect to me too) and then show her on paper the PROFIT that will come from this. Have all this on paper for her to read.

I learned the hard way.... if I try to explain things when I'm excited about them yet she kinda has no idea about it..... I've been thinking about it for months but its all new to her.... I do more confusing her than anything else if I don't write it out for her.

And when you let her read it, take some advice from my big mouth... SHUT UP! ONLY answer a question if she asks. Don't try to go in to detail about anything unless she asks and even then, don't make it a sermon. Just answer her question and move on. QUIET...... ssshhhhhhh

And if all else fails, do like I do, over the years I've set back $23000 and if she doesn't see it your way, you can spend that money. It's not cheating the way we do it... I get money to spend and she gets money, if I have left over, I tuck it away. I do fool her though, she thinks I keep it in a black box and she sometimes needs to go in there and she can see a few hundred, she doesn't realize that's my petty cash drawer
                              Last edited by SC93; 06-25-2016, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X