No announcement yet.

Pool leveling am I on the right track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Greg has a lot of drive, and I respect that.

I don't think you should give up on pool installs, but perhaps change your approach. As a businessman, I would feel comfortable advertising pool installs, and subbing the work out to the professionals. Win-Win.

As for what you said about the lawn not being your fault, I understand. Others may have disregarded the context. There are some times when you should go with what the customer allows (driving on the lawn), and then there are times when you should back out; You learn from your mistakes, and I guarantee that we've all done something similar, or worse.

In this case, we learned to add "If I crash into your house with a truck, I am not liable" into your contract.

Maybe even go the extra mile, "Client understands that any/all damages to COMPANY NAME, not limited to its equipment or its employees, must be paid for within 30 days of the incident".

Comment

I think Greg has a lot of drive, and I respect that.

I don't think you should give up on pool installs, but perhaps change your approach. As a businessman, I would feel comfortable advertising pool installs, and subbing the work out to the professionals. Win-Win.

As for what you said about the lawn not being your fault, I understand. Others may have disregarded the context. There are some times when you should go with what the customer allows (driving on the lawn), and then there are times when you should back out; You learn from your mistakes, and I guarantee that we've all done something similar, or worse.

In this case, we learned to add "If I crash into your house with a truck, I am not liable" into your contract.

Maybe even go the extra mile, "Client understands that any/all damages to COMPANY NAME, not limited to its equipment or its employees, must be paid for within 30 days of the incident".
      If I ever do that again it will be subbed out.

Comment

Greg what is your view now on this experience? What lessons do you feel you learned from it?
        Contracts must be more specific.

Comment

If I ever do that again it will be subbed out.
          This is one of the reasons real world experience pays off. If you worked a few jobs before starting your business you would have first hand experience. Its cool to see kids starting a business but theres so much their lacking by not working in the field.

I know when I worked for a company it was all about numbers. Customer retention wasnt a big deal because it was as easy to find a new one to please a existing one. I do the complete opposite to a extent.

Comment

Ok, Greg, Have you figured out your out of your league now?
            I've been in my "league" but every spring I will take on a few odd jobs just to see if I want to offer them throughout the year.

Comment

This is one of the reasons real world experience pays off. If you worked a few jobs before starting your business you would have first hand experience. Its cool to see kids starting a business but theres so much their lacking by not working in the field.

I know when I worked for a company it was all about numbers. Customer retention wasnt a big deal because it was as easy to find a new one to please a existing one. I do the complete opposite to a extent.
              I try to have exellent customer service because I could have said this is where the dirt will go because that was what was agreed on instead she choose to move it and it resulted in a tore up yard.

I have had the business since 2008 so my main services are built up ( lawn care/mAnence) so now I am working on trying to add a few more services

Comment

Do you guys have any idea how much work I have turned down because I had no Idea how to do what they wanted? Thousands.

How many headaches have I had over these jobs? None

Know when to say "Sorry, I cannot do that." Priceless

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X