Should You Operate 7 Days Per Week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I am currently in the works of starting a lawn service, and I was wondering should you only mow lawns 5 days per week, 6 days per week, or 7 days per week? I know its all about how much money you want to make, but I also need a family life too. My plans are once I get enough accounts and can do so to hire a few workers to do practically everything for me, but its getting up to that point that my question is directed to. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am not looking for negative comments.
    My business is a side business besides my fulltime job, so I usually work every evening M-F and have 15 commerical properties that are on a every other week Saturday schedule. Use the off Saturday to make up resi's that get missed cause of rain or other mishaps. So I am pretty much on a six day schedule. Once in awhile get a Saturday off but never work Sundays save that for church and family!

Comment

NO .........

Comment

I really do appreciate everyone's feedback, very thankful for this website, because without it I'd be trying to look up information on Google and sometimes you know where that ends up taking you LOL. Anyway I haven't got anymore questions as of yet, but I'm more than willing and open to any further advice anyone wishes to provide. I'm also in the process of checking out the other posts on here, education seems to be lacking in my area with other lawn care business owners, so I'm trying to take advantage of learning what I can to stand out from them when I officially open my lawn service.

Comment

I work 4 days a week. I have divided my county into 4 zones. I do this to help save time and money. Number of days to work also depends on work load.
          Last edited by jsslawncare; 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Depends on how many clients you have, but 5 days a week should be your max.

If you don't have that many clients and you end up spreading them out, the lazy-train will hit you, and you'll have a slothy season.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I have decided to operate Monday through Friday, with an occasional service done on a weekend day if its absolutely needed. My next few questions are 1) if you operate in this fashion what happens if it rains and 2) how should you schedule services if they end up on an holiday?
              You have to plan for rain days.

I work alone. I don't work Sundays unless I have to.

I try to keep Wednesdays and Saturdays open, or at least "light".
              That gives me a buffer if it rains.

If it rains on Monday and Tuesday, I have Wednesday to catch up.
              If you have to push anyone more than 2 days past their regular day, you may as well skip it until the next week.
              If it rains on Thursday, or Friday, I have Saturday to catch up.

It's not perfect, but it has worked for me. Those "open" days are also used for one-time jobs, hedge trimming, and things of that nature. It's hard to squeeze extras into an already busy mowing schedule.

Comment

You have to plan for rain days.

I work alone. I don't work Sundays unless I have to.

I try to keep Wednesdays and Saturdays open, or at least "light".
                That gives me a buffer if it rains.

If it rains on Monday and Tuesday, I have Wednesday to catch up.
                If you have to push anyone more than 2 days past their regular day, you may as well skip it until the next week.
                If it rains on Thursday, or Friday, I have Saturday to catch up.

It's not perfect, but it has worked for me. Those "open" days are also used for one-time jobs, hedge trimming, and things of that nature. It's hard to squeeze extras into an already busy mowing schedule.
                Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                X