Smoking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking

How many of you do or alow smoking while working on a job site? I do not smoke, never have and do not plan to. But I have an employee who does. I will not alow smoking in my truck so I find him smoking while mowing customers lawns. If I give him a smoke break I will have down time, but what he is doing now I feel is not professional.

i do smoke when on the road that is it. i do not allow any employees smoke while they are servicing a customer. they always ask for smoke breaks and i tell them smoke when you are on the road, because that is what i do

Comment

i do smoke when on the road that is it. i do not allow any employees smoke while they are servicing a customer. they always ask for smoke breaks and i tell them smoke when you are on the road, because that is what i do
      Thanks for the quick response. One of those things I never thought about when I started up the business.

Comment

smoking

tell them to look into electronic cigarettes or e-cigs thats what i did 3 years ago and never looked back its a nasty habit to deal with if your not a smoker ... no offence to those who smoke its there choice...

here is a e cigarette company web address they can look into
        cloudsofvapor.com

lawnman3 fl...
        { gettin after the green}...

Comment

My worker smokes...as long as he's worth a damn and is productive he can do what he wants....but only by the truck and throw the butts in the bed

Comment

I smoke as do some employees but not on a clients property unless they light up, not in the vehicles as those who do not smoke may be driving them at some point.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I smoke.

Your guy will be more productive if you let him enjoy one. If you are a non smoker, I can understand that it annoys you if he does it in between properties while you are driving. However, maybe it's something to consider letting him do?

You can even have him toss the cigarette before nearing the property.

-

If you want him to still be productive, there are things he can do while smoking. Have him Windex the interior of the truck for example.

-

They create menthol cigarettes, just throwing that out there

Comment

If you're smoking while working for a client you look like a hack. I don't care what you think, or how many thousands of dollars you have in equipment - you look like trash.

Sorry. The world has changed. You'd better adjust.

My neighbor's lawn guys smoke while mowing. They look like criminals, do crappy work, and blow grass onto the street. Effing douchebag gave me a "thumbs up" as he drove by after leaving my neighborhood looking worse than before he cut.

That's the image that goes along with smoking on the job. Don't be a butt head.

Comment

Yup. I see lawn crews smoking while mowing.

They look like douchebags.

I didn't get the job because my price was "high", but a potential client was asking for bids because her current company smoked while they mowed her lawn. I don't smoke, the guy she hired doesn't smoke. He lawn looked nice, and what I could tell they took care of the lawn, but she just didn't want people smoking while working on her property. Goes to show ya it's not always the quality cut................it's the smoking, cursing, unprofessional behavior that loses the job and opens it for you.

Comment

Thank you guys for the information. The employee that I am talking about is flat out awesome with his work. I have not had any of my customers comment about him smoking so that is why I was asking. I am not a smoker, but I do not judge those who are. Some properties are vacation homes and there is no one at home. But I do have high end homes and apartments whre people are present. Thanks again you have given me things to think about. I guess the worst that could happen is he quits, or will stop to smoking cutting down on efficiency.

Comment

My worker smokes...as long as he's worth a damn and is productive he can do what he wants....but only by the truck and throw the butts in the bed
                      He puts the butts in his pocket but smokes while weed eating. It just snuck up on me and I have not said anything about it for three months. He is very productive and makes me money. Thanks

Comment

Keep in mind that even though you may not be aware of it, someone is always watching.

Everyone should work as though you are being watched.

I picked up several clients because the previous crew was overheard cursing and just generally having a bad attitude. The owner wasn't home, but her neighbor was. Word got back to her and then the neighbor asked for my info to pass along and in the end I got that job and then three other neighbors who had also used said crew of potty mouths.

I found out all of this after the fact, but yeah... someone is always watching you work.

Comment

A little too far Hedge , quite amusing though when you say crappy work..I have the best looking yards in here. Although I'm a smoker, I do not smoke while working because it does look unprofessional....to say "douchebag" is pretty narrow minded, it's like me calling you a fa**ot because you don't have a Professional landscape trailer. Toodles

Comment

A little too far Hedge , quite amusing though when you say crappy work..I have the best looking yards in here. Although I'm a smoker, I do not smoke while working because it does look unprofessional....to say "douchebag" is pretty narrow minded, it's like me calling you a fa**ot because you don't have a Professional landscape trailer. Toodles

Read this part again...
                            My neighbor's lawn guys smoke while mowing. They look like criminals, do crappy work, and blow grass onto the street.
                            I was speaking specifically about those guys - THEY do crappy work and ARE douchebags.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that this ^ is the image that comes to mind when I see someone smoking on the job. Fair or not, it's what society has conditioned us to think. Smoking used to be "normal", acceptable, even "cool" behavior. That has changed.

You said it yourself - smoking while working looks "unprofessional".
                            That's really what it boils down to.

Comment

My wife smokes, I smoke when I drink. Smoking in itself doesn't make anyone look like a douchebag, but WHERE people smoke does.

When I see a crew smoking while mowing a lawn it's looks unprofessional. Might as well light up in their home if you were a plumber or HVAC tech, etc.

I don't think anyone is saying smokers do a bad job. People are saying it looks pretty bad when smoking ON the job.

Plus it sets you up for failure. A smoker can be careful with every single butt and never drop one. A car drives by a home the smoker mows and they flick the cig out the window. There is a butt in the lawn, the owner saw the smoker smoking while working so it is automatically the smoker's butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X