3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last

I am constantly thinking about marketing ideas...I lay awake at night thinking about what my next step for the business will be.

So here's my question: What are 3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last year? Either for marketing, or simply running the business...

thanks...

Richard

1. Get Gopher software to get better organized.

2. Charge more for overgrown "first cuts" that should have been cut 5 weeks prior.

3. Get my truck lettered.

Comment

1. Promote my linkedIn page more (www.linkedin.com/in/thegroundscrew - This will be important to show my validity, work experience, and resume.

2. Get my enlosed trailer fully lettered with graphics - make it a walking advertisement

3. Promote on the street in the downtown Bellevue/Seattle city - This is really taking a leap but I feel it will help get a lot more customers. I have seen success with this in the past for people promoting themselves for getting jobs. Ex. I had a friend whos dad recently graduated from college and held up a big poster board that said "college graduate of Colorado State University, Majored in computer science and business management, unemployed and looking for work! He got a job within a week that paid three times as much as all his friends were making.

Curtis Michael
      President
      The Grounds Crew
      (425) 765-2638
      www.thegroundscrewllc.com

Comment

ONE
        I will stop initiating conversation just to show that I am interested in what the client has to say, when I'm not interested at all.

I really could care less about their grandchildren or how they enjoy watching the birds eat seed from their feeders.

I got two annoying calls all winter season, I consider myself LUCKY considering I'm usually bombarded with the following calls all day, every day, during the summer;

The first call I had explained in a previous post, about the guy who wanted me to salt his walkway/driveway. Well, he called again and I had a 10 minute discussion on a brand of salt he saw on t.v, and how his neighbors are 'cheap'. I had the keys to my truck in hand, yet I was stuck standing around like an idiot until he shut his mouth.

The second call I got was from an old man who plans on hiring me this spring, I'm not thrilled at all and will most likely block his number and fire the client I have across from him.

I just cannot put up with spending 30 minutes talking about his dead wife and how he trains his dog to roll over every f'ing god damn time I visit. I'm sorry, hearing the same story over and over again makes my ears bleed.

I hate lonely clients, and I have fired I believe 3 already. I'm a nice guy, but I have things to do.

TWO
        Contracts, no more b.s.

THREE
        Invoices go out, all the time, non stop. I'll send a client an invoice for every second I'm missing payment. I will harass them until they pay or commit suicide.
        Last edited by CHEESE2009; 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I would like to add a "#4"...

4. Drive to Canada and kick Cheese in the nuts.

Hey, the rest of the world is doing it - I want a turn!

Comment

I am constantly thinking about marketing ideas...I lay awake at night thinking about what my next step for the business will be.

So here's my question: What are 3 things you'll do this year that you didn't last year? Either for marketing, or simply running the business...

thanks...

Richard
            1. Make more efforts upselling
            2. Drive to Canada and have a big Glass of KOOL-AID(since I can't drink beer) and laugh our azzzzezzz off. Does that count as promoting my biz?
            3. Ok...Promote my business even more and let my son run the mowing crews
            08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
            05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
            4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
            3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
            1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
            20' Enclosed trailer
            18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
            2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

I would like to add a "#4"...

4. Drive to Canada and kick Cheese in the nuts.

Hey, the rest of the world is doing it - I want a turn!

LMAO

Oh geez, it's snowing / freezing rain here. I already got a call from the guy who wants me to salt... I really need to get out of this, he should have never been given my phone number as he is not MY client and is wasting my time.

He keeps saying, "Oh, I'm going to get you lots of clients"... clients that are hours away from my area and ones that I will never service... Unbelievable... All because I do a good job throwing salt around... really? Gonna drive an hour away for a few bucks? LOL

Comment

Well let see if I can get this tread back on topic.

1) Expand the area I cover (there are several areas that I kind of avoided my first year due to compaction is strong there but this year it open warfare).

2) Do more networking (Neighbourhood social affairs, maybe so Community Work Etc...)

3)Get a bit more organized so I can get more done in the course of a day.

Cheese you have enough threads of your own leave ours alone ..... Bully

Comment

I've got 4..
                  1 invoices!
                  2 more clients
                  3 new commercial mower(hopefully)
                  4 new shirts that will stand out

Comment

Great ideas! I plan on implementing a few of these myself

1.) Gain commercial accounts-last year only had residential
                    2.) upgrade my equipment
                    3.) have printed/shirts/hats-professional look

I'm hoping that I can do these 3 things...I'm looking forward to this year!

Comment

Hansen Lawn Care how do you plan on obtaining these commercial accounts? I'm also hoping to gain a few commercial accounts I just truggle finding them. My dad was the one who got all of my four commercial accounts but I'm getting older and I want to do things all myself.

A professional look is key because it will separate you from those run-down, cheap looking landscape companies. Uniformity is key.

Curtis Michael
                      President
                      The Grounds Crew
                      (425) 765-2638
                      www.thegroundscrewllc.com

Comment

customink.com is a great place for great looking shirts they may seem high compared to the rest but you get what you pay for and the results look great!

Comment

Hansen Lawn Care how do you plan on obtaining these commercial accounts? I'm also hoping to gain a few commercial accounts I just truggle finding them. My dad was the one who got all of my four commercial accounts but I'm getting older and I want to do things all myself.

A professional look is key because it will separate you from those run-down, cheap looking landscape companies. Uniformity is key.
                          Well my approach for the commercial accounts comes from some advice a guy on this forum gave me...and that's to find a commercial property manager, and find the properties they manage that I would be interested in submitting a bid. I think part of this business is a numbers game, really anything in sales can be said of this...and that's if you put enough bids out there you're bound to get some back. So, that's what I'm going to do, hopefully bid on enough to get back a decent amount which will put me ahead of where I was last year.

Comment

Since we all have access to the web and most of us are experiencing serious boredem do to the lack of snow, a great way to find Property management groups would be at our fingertips. LinkedIn is a great resource for finding anything. There is also groups in our industry that would benefit from GopherHaul.
                            08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                            05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                            4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                            3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                            1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                            20' Enclosed trailer
                            18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                            2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

This is my second year of running my own business so you better believe there are MANY things I will do differently this year. Just to name a few:

1: I already wear a "uniform" (Green shirt with brown Carhartt pants and a camo hat) but I would like to get my business name and number printed on the shirts and hats.

2: Begin to fade in annual service packages. I spent all winter wishing I had something to do. So, I came up with annual service plans which keep the customer paying throughout the winter. They pay the same price all year and I do winter maintenance during the cold months. I've already got a few customers to sign up for these packages.

3: Hire an employee. Last year I found myself scrambling around to get all my jobs done as well as trying to remember to call everyone back and service all the equipment everyday. I would definitely like to have another set of hands, even if it eats into my profit a little bit. I guess you can take on more work with another person so it really wouldn't hurt at all..
                              IV Property Maintenance
                              Providing Quality and Reliability
                              www.ivpropertymaintenance.com

Comment

Working...
                              X