No announcement yet.

Need another truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I been searching all over for a truck. I bought a 94 f350 dump with the 7.3 but it overheated on the way home. So I returned it!

I see a lot of 5.4 but my buddy says there not good for heavy work.

I stopped looking for trucks with plows because there beat.

I did find a 04 f250 with the 6.0 diesel for 8,399. I know ford had some problems with this engine but it seems to be hit or miss. What you think? Go for the 6.0 or take a chance on the underpowered 5.4? I really do need the fuel economy. This seems to be the best bang for buck.

Comment

I did find a 04 f250 with the 6.0 diesel for 8,399. I know ford had some problems with this engine but it seems to be hit or miss. What you think? Go for the 6.0 or take a chance on the underpowered 5.4?
      Have you driven the 6.0? How do you feel it is operating?

A lot of members seem to not be fans of the diesel engine for pickups. Especially in the colder climates, but maybe it will be alright for you.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Have you driven the 6.0? How do you feel it is operating?

A lot of members seem to not be fans of the diesel engine for pickups. Especially in the colder climates, but maybe it will be alright for you.
        I havent looked at it yet. Its a bit out of the ways. I'm more worried about the problems blowing head bolts and egr coolers then starting.

Comment

How much more snow are you expecting this year? I wish you luck finding a good used truck, I don't think people get rid of them if they are still good LOL.

Comment

How much more snow are you expecting this year? I wish you luck finding a good used truck, I don't think people get rid of them if they are still good LOL.
            shouldnt get to much more snow but I'm to dependent on a sub. Right now this guy doesnt show and my reputation is on the line.

I was going to hold off on installing the plow. I figure I can find a sweet deal on a v when the season is over.

I need this truck to replace my 1/2 ton. The truck is underpowered and never gave me the mpg being overworked like that. So I need a good power/fuel combo for this upcoming season. I have a dump truck thats plenty powerful that get 5-8 mpg and I obviously dont want to use it for mowing.

I read some horror stories with the 6.0 powerstroke but also found others perfectly happy. So I was curious if anyone here had any luck with them.

Comment

I don't know anything about that diesel engine, but if I were reading about problems with any engine in a certain year range, especially if it were diesel, I'd be vary wary of it. With gas engines, parts are a lot cheaper and if something goes, you can replace it for less.

The diesels seem to be in their own orbit that can cost 5 to 10 times as much for parts.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I would look for 7.3L they are great. I get 19mpg highway and 13mpg city (1995 F350 crew cab, 8feet bed, srw) one thing to look at is the oil pan they rust out and cost $1200-$4500

the 6.0L is a good motor but buy one with more than 90k because if they are going to have a problem most of the time its before then.

any plow truck older than 5 years will have problems (and some new ones too) brake lines hate salt. Some times buying a truck thats cheap and needs work is a good thing because you know whats new and you have a few years before it needs it again. Most parts stores have life time warranty and used trucks don't.

make sure to have a back up truck. You can work out a deal with another business to cover your plows if your truck is down and you do the same for them.

Comment

So I looked at a clean chevy 02 2500hd today. It was in nice condition with 53k on the 6.0 motor and a new water pump. The dealer told me if I paid in cash I could take it home but when I had the $7600 in my pocket reneged because of liability. This was a 250 mile round trip. I wasnt trying to come back tuesday with plates.

Comment

I just got the chevy trans rebuilt about a week ago. I shopped around and was going to go with a jasper remans but ended up finding a small shop to rebuild it for $1800.

Now I might auction off my dump truck. I'm looking at 2 f350 utility bodies with the 7.3 powerstrokes. I would like to go diesel and I heard nothing but bad news about the 6.0, 6.7 and 6.4.

Comment

This has really become quite an adventure!

Comment

Working...
                      X