No announcement yet.

No more bi-weekly accounts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked up another biweekly. I am trying to avoid them, but it was too good to pass up. $25 and it took exactly 4 minutes to mow it. (I forgot to time the trim/blow)

It's right on my route between two existing clients. It didn't make sense to not accept it.
    There's something to be said for tiny, city jobs. I have some bigger jobs that take me 30-45 minutes and only pay $30.

Comment

I have one question, is it bi-weekly or bi monthly? In my head bi-weekly sounds like your cutting twice a week where bi monthly sounds more like twice a month. Am I just wrong or is this just a misunderstanding?

Comment

I have one question, is it bi-weekly or bi monthly? In my head bi-weekly sounds like your cutting twice a week where bi monthly sounds more like twice a month. Am I just wrong or is this just a misunderstanding?
        Biweekly = "every other week"

It's confusing to be sure. It can have both meanings. (I looked it up)

I just assume everyone is bright enough to know that I'm not going to mow their lawn twice in one week. Sometimes I will actually SAY "every other week" just to be clear.

Comment

... I just assume everyone is bright enough to know that I'm not going to mow their lawn twice in one week. Sometimes I will actually SAY "every other week" just to be clear.
          I have one customer that wants mowed twice a week. It's a bit of a drive but at $47 per cut it's worth it.
          Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

I have a customer who likes 2 cuts a week, and she is $80 per cut! Please and Thank you

Comment

I have a customer who likes 2 cuts a week, and she is $80 per cut! Please and Thank you
              I need to move.

Comment

I need to move.
                Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Me Too!

Comment

This season, almost every new call is interested in biweekly cuts.

That reminds me. I need to call someone and tell her I must go to weekly, or she will need to find another service.
                  It was insane high last week - like a lawn that hadn't been cut all season. I'd charge at least 3x regular for someone who calls for a "first cut" at this point - why should I cut her tall grass for "regular price"?
                  Phone rings. Can you give me an estimate for mowing my grass?

Whats your address.

Why do you need that?

So I can come look at you lawn.

Oh. It's xxxxxx 23rd Street

Get there, look over the lawn, Figure about 65 a month for weekly service, No Intial work to be done, grass is not too high.

Well can you cut it every other week instead of every week, maybe a little cheaper.

Sure I can do it for 50 a month every other week

Thats not much of a difference!

The grass grows everyday, wheter it get cut once a week or one every 14 day, and waiting 14 days means the grass is twice a long, will take twice as long to cut, is harder on my machine, wears out my belts fast, it harder to trim etc, the only thing your saving is my trip out here two time.

Oh! (then either I will try to find some one cheaper) or well every week is ok.

Comment

Which reminds me... "biweekly" does NOT equal "twice a month."

Some people think that if you say "$25 every other week", that it's $50/mo.

Ummm... no, it's $25 every other week. Some months will have two cuts, some have three - it depends on the day it's scheduled on.

Comment

Steve, how can you charge someone 65 for 4 cuts and still make money? That's about 16 per cut.

Comment

I just started up, literally, i have 5 big ones 3 out of the 5 are bi weekly. I did start to see how this could jack things up, this was all very helpfull,its somthing i need to think about.

Comment

Steve, how can you charge someone 65 for 4 cuts and still make money? That's about 16 per cut.
                          this size yard takes about 8 minutes.

Comment

this size yard takes about 8 minutes.
                            That's $2/minute which extrapolates to about $120/hour. Now if you could line up a bunch of those all in one stop you could actually get near that amount otherwise you need to consider drive time. My minimum is $20 per mow so I love jobs like that.

Comment

Drought

I was reading through this post and wanted to get everyone's feedback on my situation. I'm still very small and I do this part time. I started the business a year ago and focus on only residential lawns. I have about 15 regular clients and all but 1 is a bi-weekly. I haven't pushed to change this because a)I hadn't thought about it and b) we are in one of the worst droughts in history. Without the the rain and under the water restrictions we have most of the lawns I have are barely needing to be mowed every other week. Now I typically charge a little more doing it every other week versus every week ($30 weekly, $40 bi-weekly). So in your opinion should I leave things as they are until the rain comes back or should I start trying to convert everyone to weekly cuts and a monthly fee. I also bill per mowing now not monthly. Thanks

Comment

I was reading through this post and wanted to get everyone's feedback on my situation. I'm still very small and I do this part time. I started the business a year ago and focus on only residential lawns. I have about 15 regular clients and all but 1 is a bi-weekly. I haven't pushed to change this because a)I hadn't thought about it and b) we are in one of the worst droughts in history. Without the the rain and under the water restrictions we have most of the lawns I have are barely needing to be mowed every other week. Now I typically charge a little more doing it every other week versus every week ($30 weekly, $40 bi-weekly). So in your opinion should I leave things as they are until the rain comes back or should I start trying to convert everyone to weekly cuts and a monthly fee. I also bill per mowing now not monthly. Thanks
                                In my opinion, when you're just starting out you take what you can get and don't make any friends because these are the people you'll eventually phase out for better customers. My first year I took everything and I kept all but two up until this 4th year. I've got a few bi-weekly customers but I've dropped the "on call" lawns. I'm about to drop two bi-weekly lawns for a larger property and perhaps it will fund a bigger mower.

Comment

Working...
                                X