Flower Bed Weeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower Bed Weeds

Does PREEM work or not? I have a bed that have to keep fighting weeks. Grass, johnson grass, and crab grass. I would like to know of something I could put down that would not kill the Lantana that I have down but slow down my weed pulling. If there is another string on this then please point me that way.

Help....

Can you lay down any landscape fabric?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Can you lay down any landscape fabric?
      Wish I could but the plants have been there. We won a bid at one of the jobs is to keep the beds up. Pulling weeds once a week is not bad I was just looking for something that would help cut the pulling down.

Comment

I have a homeowner that I service only once per month to clean beds, weed eat and just take care of all the damage her husband does the rest of the month.

Anyhow, She always has Preen in her beds that she applies often. She also always has grass and just a few weeds in her beds. She says this is because her husband always blows his clippings directly into the beds and make no attempt to clear them out. Anyhow, I'm convinced that it wouldn't be my first choice of product.

Comment

I have a homeowner that I service only once per month to clean beds, weed eat and just take care of all the damage her husband does the rest of the month.

Anyhow, She always has Preen in her beds that she applies often. She also always has grass and just a few weeds in her beds. She says this is because her husband always blows his clippings directly into the beds and make no attempt to clear them out. Anyhow, I'm convinced that it wouldn't be my first choice of product.
          Thank you that is what I needed to know. The post here have a lot about mowing but when it comes to this stuff there is not much feed back.

Comment

Well here is the more specific answer. Preen works for the most part as a homeowner pre emergent. But with only pulling the grass your leaving roots for the grass to grow back from. So until you kill the roots nothing is gunna change. The pre emergent only stops the seeds from germinating has nothing to do with the roots.
            Colton
            Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

Has anyone had any experience using ROUNDUP? I have found the following online:

Roundup is a non-selective herbicide used to kill unwanted grasses and weeds. It is available in professional strength liquid concentrate and professional dry concentrate formulations. When Roundup is sprayed on plant foliage, it is absorbed and then moved ó or translocated ó throughout the plantís tissues. Once inside the plant, Glyphosate (the active ingredient in Roundup) inhibits the production of an enzyme, called EPSP synthase, which in turn prevents the plant from manufacturing certain aromatic amino acids essential for plant growth and life. Glyphosate interrupts the metabolic process in plants, so its effect may not be visible for about four days in annual plants and up to seven days in perennial plants. After application, the plant wilts and turns yellow, and then turns brown as the plant tissue deteriorates. At the same time, Glyphosate decomposes the plantís underground roots and rhizomes. Ultimately, the entire plant dies, is incapable of regenerating, and enriches the soil as it decomposes.
              Tests have shown that Roundup, when used according to label directions, has no weed killing activity once in contact with the soil. Glyphosate will not move in or on the soil to affect non-target vegetation, and it does not move through the soil to enter other non-target plants by the root system. Glyphosate is only effective when it comes into contact with the green, growing parts of plants. Other tests have shown that Glyphosate binds tightly to most soil particles until it is degraded. This means that the likelihood of Roundup harming nearby plants is negligible, and there is an extremely low potential for Glyphosate to move into groundwater.
              Many professionals now prefer to tank mix their favorite Roundup herbicide with Scythe. This combination provides faster burn-off of grasses and new growth weeds and also accelerates the systemic action of Glyphosate.
              http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Check into a product called Ranger Pro herbicide. I buy mine from the local farm supply store, as in a real one that is straight herbicide and straight fertilizer no gimmicks and added ingredients. This one is two ingredients, Glyphosate and something else. But it's extremely concentrated and will save you so much in the future. I bought 5 gallons, 2 (2.5) gallon bottles for $70 vs buying something like spectracide from Lowes at $15 for a 30oz bottle (That is $64 a gallon) so 5 gallons of spectracide would run $320 for something you can get for roughly $70 dependent upon if it's in your area. Something to think about because it is major major savings and a really good product, takes about 4oz of solution per 5 gallons of water for typical maintenance spraying.
                2008 F-350, 2006 rzt50 23kH, 2010 tank m48 with 25kH, 16x8 vnose car hauler, echo edgers and weedeaters.

Comment

Unless it rains alot I find Round up to be a waist of money. Buy just Glyphosate, it usually has more of the active ingredient(Glyphosate) and way less. Round Up usually has a rain fast witch means it won't wash of in about an hr or 2 of dry time.

I would highly suggest getting a penatrant weather it be no foam A no foam B or magnify, or something to that extent.

Also consider using Trimec 992 or the classic they work better in colder weather I found. Also it mix ratio is lower then Glyphosate but about same price for 2.5 gallons.

If your local landscape shop don't carry it look for a pest control supply shop. A weed is a pest.
                  Colton
                  Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

I have used RoundUp Weed & Grass Killer. Its rainproof in 10 minutes. You spray or foam what you want to kill. visible proof in 4-6 hours the plant on the surface turns brown and is dead. Complete kill of the entire plant, roots and all within 1-2 weeks. I swear by the stuff. My sidewalk is weed/grass free in the cracks. No more weedwacking the darn cracks and wasting time.

check out the product label here -> http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/r.../PNGRefill.pdf

Landscape fabric sucks cause weeds find a way to grow through it.

It doesn't matter how much mulch you put in the flower bed. Weeds and grasses will find a route to sunlight and heat.

If you do not want plants in a flower bed to be treated. Take some cardboard and shield the plant while you spray the weeds you want to kill. within 1-2 weeks the weeds will be dead and will breakdown into compost for the soil.

Hope this info help.

Paul

Comment

I have used RoundUp Weed & Grass Killer. Its rainproof in 10 minutes. You spray or foam what you want to kill. visible proof in 4-6 hours the plant on the surface turns brown and is dead. Complete kill of the entire plant, roots and all within 1-2 weeks. I swear by the stuff. My sidewalk is weed/grass free in the cracks. No more weedwacking the darn cracks and wasting time.

check out the product label here -> http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/r.../PNGRefill.pdf

Landscape fabric sucks cause weeds find a way to grow through it.

It doesn't matter how much mulch you put in the flower bed. Weeds and grasses will find a route to sunlight and heat.

If you do not want plants in a flower bed to be treated. Take some cardboard and shield the plant while you spray the weeds you want to kill. within 1-2 weeks the weeds will be dead and will breakdown into compost for the soil.

Hope this info help.

Paul
                      Thank you so much for the information. I will try this again. Have a great week!

Comment

Check into a product called Ranger Pro herbicide. I buy mine from the local farm supply store, as in a real one that is straight herbicide and straight fertilizer no gimmicks and added ingredients. This one is two ingredients, Glyphosate and something else. But it's extremely concentrated and will save you so much in the future. I bought 5 gallons, 2 (2.5) gallon bottles for $70 vs buying something like spectracide from Lowes at $15 for a 30oz bottle (That is $64 a gallon) so 5 gallons of spectracide would run $320 for something you can get for roughly $70 dependent upon if it's in your area. Something to think about because it is major major savings and a really good product, takes about 4oz of solution per 5 gallons of water for typical maintenance spraying.
                        Thanks for the information. I do not need a lot so I will check this week.

Comment

Unless it rains alot I find Round up to be a waist of money. Buy just Glyphosate, it usually has more of the active ingredient(Glyphosate) and way less. Round Up usually has a rain fast witch means it won't wash of in about an hr or 2 of dry time.

I would highly suggest getting a penatrant weather it be no foam A no foam B or magnify, or something to that extent.

Also consider using Trimec 992 or the classic they work better in colder weather I found. Also it mix ratio is lower then Glyphosate but about same price for 2.5 gallons.

If your local landscape shop don't carry it look for a pest control supply shop. A weed is a pest.
                          I have used the Trimec and has not done as well as MSMA but then again maybe I do not mix it strong enough. I also used Dove with it.

Comment

Round Up

Do any of you have a ball park that you work with on round up spraying? I think I should of included this in some of my homeowner custmers but did not.

So what I do is now and then a bed might need a small amout of round up while another may need more to spray over a rock driveway, etc. It's hard for me to know what to charge so I feel like I am throwing darts.

What about 1/4, 1/2, 1, gallon charge? It would be easy to do it this way because I always know how much I used after walking off the property but mark up is hard to know what is a fair price.

Comment

Is that all you are doing on the property is spraying?

If so check with you OPM for your state and see if you can legally spray. In AZ spray a weed killer like that has to be a secondary action on a yard not a just there to spray. Then you fall under pest control guide lines.

Aside from that statement I would charge a minimum of like $30 $40. I know it is propably over priced for the little things you are doing but don't cheat yourself buy charging the $10 $15 it should cost you. Then again its probably $15 $20 if you are still using round up.
                              Colton

Comment

Working...
                              X