• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you "love" to mow around

Ok there is a little sarcasam there.

Post what you hate to mow / trim around

Mine would be playgroud equitment

Those little effing $3 SOLAR LIGHTS!!!

Aside from the obvious pain in the a$$ to mow/trim around, I chopped one right in two with the string trimmer. Cheap, plastic stake - I barely touched it and "ZIP!"

Cheese and rice, I HATE when they put those things in the GRASS.

Comment

Dog excrement!
      They are suppose to pick it up (the customer not the dog) but they always seem to miss a pile or 2!

Comment

Aside from the obvious pain in the a$$ to mow/trim around, I chopped one right in two with the string trimmer. Cheap, plastic stake - I barely touched it and "ZIP!"

+1

Had a client who installed about 40 of them all along the lawn border. I was not happy when I saw them. The next week I came back and they were all gone.

I guess there was a crime spree in the neighborhood that week, not a solar light to be seen. Only time I didn't feel bad that someone got ripped off.

Comment

Without a question Granite, where I live it is far too plentiful so people use it for decoration, then you have pieces pop up through your lawn after a hard winter, a small piece exposed could end up being half the size of a truck underground.

It does look nice on a lawn but OMG it can be time consuming.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

baby trees are a p.i.t.a to get around ,just barely clip it with the trimmer and its gone just as quick as the grass around it.

those solar lights are also a huge p.i.t.a
            Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
            "Where Service is Always in Season"
            Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.

Comment

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I swear I'm just going to mow 'em down. I guess I'll have to bag the "clippings" though.
              Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

How about small children LOL.
                Attached Files
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How about small children LOL.
                  I will not mow with children out on the property period, once one enters my view blades are disengaged and the mower idled down and then shut off until I know that they understand they need not be around while we are working.

I do the same thing for adults as some of them seem to have no problem approaching someone (whether on a machine or just trimming) from behind either.

Comment

I had to mow around dog poo today.

Client on vacation, but dogs home and being let out - nobody scooping though.

He gave me the option of waiting 'til they return (because he knows I don't mow unless poos are cleaned up prior), but since he's a good customer, I let him slide on this one. Fortunately I didn't "slide" on anything today.

Comment

I hate when people plant small trees or shrubs randomly around their lawn without any thought of how in the hell someone will mow their lawn.
                      I showed up a one lawn and the customer had planted 16 shrubs all over their front lawn it was like mowing a maze and then I had to trim the stupid things.
                      I felt like adding an additional trimming charge.

Comment

i hate when people plant beds so close to each other you cant fit the mower in between them. not only do I hate trimming under fences and around playsets.....but when the playset is soo close to the fence you need to trim between the fence and it.

also, I since all of my customers are in a lake community, people like to put tiki torches at the edge of the lake ARGGG

oh and i have only broken one of those lights so far (the stake snapped so i carefully yet quickly stabbed in back into the ground before anyone noticed)

Comment

I hate when people plant small trees or shrubs randomly around their lawn without any thought of how in the hell someone will mow their lawn.
                          I showed up a one lawn and the customer had planted 16 shrubs all over their front lawn it was like mowing a maze and then I had to trim the stupid things.
                          I felt like adding an additional trimming charge.
                          I would ad the charge next year. I have been advising new and potential customers that are in new homes of additional trimming charges. I'll usually acknowledge that they have just moved in and so far haven't had time to do anything in the yard. I'll then let them know that as they add beds (hopefully using our services to do so) fences, trees, etc,. that their cost of service may go up usually $5-$10 depending on the potential I see there.

Once I make them aware of this and explain why, they usually understand and even let me know at that point what they have already considered adding. This gives me the chance to put a plan together for them as well.

Fencing in the backyard is the most common first addition and is the main reason I like to point out that trimming time around the fence can easily cause a need for a higher service rate.

Comment

Chainlink fence and around A/C units.
                            Those little thermostat wires are a magnet to trimmer line.

Comment

I'm beginning to hate trees in general - with a passion...

Mature trees = bumpity-bump roots.
                              Saplings, as noted previously, are too delicate and are at risk of being zipped off with the trimmer.
                              "Decorative" trees are either so low (think Jap maple) that you can't get the mower under them without snagging delicate branches, or just low enough that YOU can't fit under while mowing.
                              Even better when it has rained and the branches droop and deposit water all over your back as you try to duck under them.

Comment

Working...
                              X