No announcement yet.

Two for Two - Woo-Hoo! First Scheduled Mowing Clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hedgemaster how are you mowing any lawns?? seems like your always on this fourm . . .

Comment

• hedgemaster how are you mowing any lawns?? seems like your always on this fourm . . .

Well, I'm logged on all the time - even if I'm not "on", but yeah, I'm here a lot. Mostly at night, or if it's raining, or like right now while sitting here with ice on my ankle after being stung by a stinking ground bee.

The job is right up the road from my house. I was mowing and saw the hole and the bee activity, but by the time I got to that part of the yard I had forgotten about them - until I felt one on my ankle. Oh crap.

Before I could swat it off, it had stung me. Came home to clean it and ice it. Gonna go back in a few minutes and finish the job. And spray me some bees.

Comment

• Lost a client on Sunday.

I think I mentioned this one earlier - did an est for friend's mom, got the job and got the neighbor as well... well the neighbor called and left a message.

"We found someone to do it for $10 less. We appreciate everything and the work you did was outstanding, but we were using a guy before that cost us $20 and going from $20 to $40 was just too much."

Ehhh... I thought about calling to do a counter offer, but honestly, I priced it right and his grass is so miserably tall and dense (it's a biweekly cut btw), it's not worth the aggravation. I need to pay the bills too, but competing with college kids that are working illegally is not something I'm interested in doing. There are plenty of people out there willing to pay for great service. The hack jobs can have those low paying jobs.

"You lose some, you win some"

Gained a new client today.

Last Thursday a client told me to talk to her neighbor after I was finished. (Crap - did I tell this part already?)

Long story short, she has two houses within two blocks of each other. One has a TINY "lawn" about 12'x12' and the other has a lawn that will probably take at most, 35 minutes total. I called and gave her a quote ($15 & $40 - $55 total/biweekly) last week after looking at the larger property (she lives at the smaller one) and she called back today...
        "I was wondering if you would do both for $50?", she asked. Deal. I start this Thursday!

The larger property sits on a HIGHLY traveled street in an old, but upscale section of town. Just being seen by people there will likely land me more work. The yard signs will certainly be put to use.

Comment

• Picked up another.

I did a "one time" cut for a guy in early spring whose "guy" had some health issues and couldn't make it over. He really liked how I did everything and said he'd be in touch if anything ever changed with his regular guy.

Apparently the regular guy had a heart attack - still alive I believe, but not able to mow. The job is mine.

That's at least four people now who I'm cutting for because their "old guy" had a heart attack. Sheesh.

Comment

• That's at least four people now who I'm cutting for because their "old guy" had a heart attack. Sheesh.
            That's kinda creepy. Hope you're not superstitious!

Comment

• Got another one.

I received a call yesterday from someone asking me to stop and give a quote for mowing the lawn every other week. She said that "Susan told me to call".
              Susan is one of my regulars.

I stopped today to look, and while it's not a big money job, she was agreeable to $25/cut, every two weeks. This job should take about 15 minutes to do and is located just a few blocks away from several other clients I service.

She also asked if I do leaf cleanups. Awesome.

Mid September and still getting new clients.
              In this case, she and her husband just moved in this week and were talking about the house with some friends. When lawn care was mentioned, she told me "Susan nearly jumped over the table - YOU HAVE TO CALL MY GUY!!!" LOL! It's nice to have clients that are happy with your work and are THAT enthusiastic about referring you.

Comment

• I did my first non-residential job today.

It's not an "account", it was just a one-time thing, but it was almost worth doing for free due to the "cool factor". That said, I think I'll hold onto the $100 for 80 minutes of work.

I got to go inside the gates at the now defunct Iron City brewery. (They've moved operations outside of Pittsburgh)
                The place looks like the setting for a post-apocalyptic movie now, with portions of the building torn down and a massive hole in the side of one of the buildings with an enormous pile of rubble next to it.

One of my regular mowing clients works in the movie industry (lots of stuff is shot in Pittsburgh these days) and he called the other day to see if I could help out. They are filming a TV movie down the street from the brewery and need the lot for staff parking. There were a lot of weeds growing everywhere and they needed them buzzed so people could park and not have to walk through the mess. No mowing involved - all trimmer work.

It was definitely one of the most interesting jobs I've done. Aside from the historic nature of the buildings themselves, I found myself peeking inside to see the machinery that was once used to produce the famous Pittsburgh beer. There was all sorts of old equipment, parts, signs, and other interesting "junk" strewn about the place.

Who knows, maybe I'll eventually get to do some "greens work" that appears in a movie, and get nominated for "best hedges in a drama".

I took a bunch of photos that I'll have to post when I get a few minutes.

Comment

• I think I smell an Oscar .
                  Hedge do you have a Tux for the Red Carpet ???

Comment

• I took a bunch of photos that I'll have to post when I get a few minutes.
                    That sounds very interesting! I am looking forwards to seeing them.
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• That sounds very interesting! I am looking forwards to seeing them.
                      Sigh. I posted a thread in teh "show off your pictures" section, but I don't see it.

I'll bet some idiot forgot to hit "submit" after clicking "preview".

Comment

• OK. The thread with photos can be found here...
                        http://www.gopherforum.com/showthrea...5239#post95239

Comment

• Picked up another biweekly client today next door to four others (all next to each other) that I already cut.

Everybody wants them some Hedgemaster.

Comment

• Can you imagine how busy next year will be? WOW!
                            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• Can you imagine how busy next year will be? WOW!
                              Seriously.

I never imagined things would go so well the first season.
                              I mean, I'm not making a ton of money, but I'm keeping my head above water.
                              The "busy" part is what has me looking into more productive equipment for next season. If I'm going to be able to keep up and take on more clients, I need to work faster. I'm not willing to do sub-par work, or cut back on the attention I give to each lawn, so I need to get a bigger mower to knock out the lawns that are taking me too long to cut with the push mower.

BTW, I had someone stop me yesterday for a quote.

They had seen me and my signs at a job across the street and stopped me while I was there this week. Seems their regular guy is unreliable and they want a fall cleanup done and are seeking someone to take over in the spring.

Comment

• Love the thread! Motivating me to start now! Too bad grass doesn't grow over the winter haha.

I've been doing snow removal, simple shoveling and salting of residential homes the past couple winters when work is slow, and i love mowing lawns, so after this winter i'm going to start out. Been wondering how a push mower would work during my startup season, and your thread has convinced me to go at it with a pushmower.

I'm leaning towards the Exmark Metro26. Looking at the Echo PB620 BP Blower, and Echo SRM 280S weed trimmer, also looking at the RedMax line....I know the Redmax from a lawncare job i had a few years back and liked them a lot. I talked to that boss recently about my idea and he's done a demo on the Echo blower and loved it. Plus he has told me to call him for any advice, he's been doing this for 25 years now and he's glad to help a newcomer especially someone that works like i did....

I'm looking forward to starting next year, this site and my ex boss motivates me more each time i read this or talk to him!...

Keep up the good work Hedge!

Comment

Working...
                                X