Two for Two - Woo-Hoo! First Scheduled Mowing Clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hedge....
    If you haven't gotten the gopher software. GET IT!!!. you will be able to manage all your clients, scheduling, billing, etc. I have been using it over a year now and I gotta tell ya. I have 33 current clients. I've had a total of 107clients over the course of since i got the software in spring of 2010. Just a little FYI

Comment

congradulations

That is good news to hear when some one gets new clients.

Comment

Hedge....
        If you haven't gotten the gopher software. GET IT!!!. you will be able to manage all your clients, scheduling, billing, etc. I have been using it over a year now and I gotta tell ya. I have 33 current clients. I've had a total of 107clients over the course of since i got the software in spring of 2010. Just a little FYI
        Going to do that. At least I have some income now to cover the purchase.

Comment

That is good news to hear when some one gets new clients.
          How about when someone gets someone else's clients?

I had a call about mulching "and give us a price for mowing too - our current guy is getting sloppy".

Apparently the guy who does their lawn has all but stopped using the trimmer, leaving tufts of tall grass along edges and walks. The guy said he also "leaves strips of grass that he missed".

My price was $5 more than the other guy, "but I'd rather pay someone more to do the job right", said the homeowner.

They are going to talk it over and let me know if they want to use me. Hopefully it doesn't piss someone off to the point of... well, you know what I mean... some people don't handle being "let go" very well - even when they are to blame.

Turned one down today too. Steps - I don't do steps.

Comment

Keep us posted on how that customer goes.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I had a call about mulching "and give us a price for mowing too - our current guy is getting sloppy".

Apparently the guy who does their lawn has all but stopped using the trimmer, leaving tufts of tall grass along edges and walks. The guy said he also "leaves strips of grass that he missed".

My price was $5 more than the other guy, "but I'd rather pay someone more to do the job right", said the homeowner.

They are going to talk it over and let me know if they want to use me. Hopefully it doesn't piss someone off to the point of... well, you know what I mean... some people don't handle being "let go" very well - even when they are to blame.

im sure you wont have a problem. I mean here in the LA area we always get called to do the job that the other guy did not take care of and we never have problems do not be afraid of that and congrats on this seasons success man

Comment

Small victory...

Well, back in the OP, I talked about getting my second client. Then I ended up getting the lawn next door which has a gate providing convenient access between the two. Last week, the guy at the house next to the second place asked me to mow his. I charged $25 just like the other two, but after finishing, I realized I may have priced it a bit high, as his yard is smaller, and not as "neat" as the first two. Oh, and his yard is accessible from the second house. This is all very good, since these three are on the "hill" side of the street, and only the first house has access that doesn't require steps. (I refuse to carry a mower up steps - period)

Anyway, after finishing the cut at #3, he told me that his wife was mad that he asked me to do it, and that I wouldn't be needed weekly. (he recently had surgery, so wife was going to cut it) "Oh well", I thought - would have been nice to have three in a row.

I had to swing by the area the next day, so (Hmmm... maybe I already told this story?) I dropped off a bus card with a note explaining that I had reviewed my notes on the time it took to cut his lawn and that I could cut it for $15 if the price was a concern.

Today, when I pulled up to house #2 with a load of topsoil, the guy from house #3 stopped in his car as he was driving by and said, "Hey, you can cut my lawn!"

Awesome. It's only $15, but each of the other two are fetching $25, and they take 30-45 mins to complete, while his only takes 15-20, and I only have to unload once, with direct access from yard, to yard, to yard.
                Works for me!

I also had my first inquiry regarding snow removal from a new biweekly client that lives about a mile from my house. More awesome.

Comment

It's amazing how tough it is to get those first few customers but once you got them, things start to pick up and more customers begin to follow.
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

First Time Ad On Craigslist

Hi!! We are just getting started and would like some suggestions for a first time ad. Should a photo of some sort also be added? We have a company name picked out. Thanks! Would like to do foreclosed properties also.

Comment

Quoting myself. lol...

Looks like the "sloppy lawn guy" lost a customer. I received an email asking me to start next week and to let them know a day ahead of time so they can clean up the dog poos.

ALL UR LAWNS R BELONG 2 ME!

I mean, how hard is it? Trim, mow, blow - pretty simple. I didn't ask if he cleaned up afterward, but of the three, I guess the only part you can't skip is the "mow" portion. Seriously, I can understand skipping the trimming if it doesn't need it, but I saw the place - tall grasses poking up all over the place.

They won't regret their decision. Last week one of my regulars who is usually home when I cut told me "You do nice work". I've cut his front lawn diagonally, and also at an "V-shaped" angle that follows the sidewalk. Takes a few minutes extra, but some lawns just beg to have interesting cuts done to them.

I also stopped to talk to a neighbor at one of my jobs today. I complimented him on his lawn and he explained that he doesn't cut it - he has a company maintain it. "We'll they do a good job", I said. We chatted for a while, and at one point he said that he watched me mowing last week, and that he took one of my cards (Artie's card holder on the truck while parked). "I'll pass on your info if I hear of anyone looking", he said. "You do a good job!" He said he was impressed by my trimming detail, and that he liked that I trimmed FIRST - that some of the big guys do that last, and it leaves clippings behind. "Nice, straight lines too!"

Speaking of chatting to neighbors... another thing I'll mention to those just starting out is to TALK to EVERYONE YOU SEE - EVERYWHERE.

Even if it's nothing more than a "Nice day, isn't it?" You can open doors you never knew existed, just by initiating a conversation.

During a job today, an older man pulled up across the street. He had a trailer of topsoil for another house on the street. Long story short, he is "retired", and used to own a landscaping company. We talked a while and he gave me some good advice on a variety of topics. He even took the time to look at my mower blade and sharpened it for me on the spot. He didn't just sharpen it, he SHOWED me HOW to sharpen it up for a clean cut.
                      We talked a bit about "shortcut employees" and how my "perfectionist" attitude is a "good thing". I gave him a card and he said he'd pass along my info if he gets a call for work he doesn't have time for.

Oh, and if you're like me, and can't remember names very well, write it down. As soon as I finish talking to someone, I make a note in my log book. I note the person's name, what we talked about, and where the conversation took place.

I think I cut 8 lawns today - last two in light rain... I'm beat.

Comment

thats very nice to hear hedgemaster ,congrats to you!!

Comment

That's where the damn sunshine has been. In Pittsburgh following Hedgemaster around.
                          That's great that things are happening for you.

Comment

That's where the damn sunshine has been. In Pittsburgh following Hedgemaster around.
                            That's great that things are happening for you.
                            Thanks. It may not seem like it, but even the brief words of encouragement from you guys is helpful.

Sunshine? I'll have you know I was mowing in the rain yesterday and today. (and likely tomorrow since I couldn't get to two jobs today)

Actually, this week was the best we've seen all season. Mon, Tues, Wed were 100% dry. Thursday it rained lightly for a while late day, then mid day today again we had some thundershowers and rain. I broke out the "emergency poncho" for my last cut and kept on truckin'.

Before this week, we had not had one week with more than one rain-free day.

Comment

I wish i had your issues with rain. Here in baltimore, Maryland. we haven't had a drop a rain since May 4, 2011. Of the 35 clients we have we cut zero this week. Temps have been fine for good grass growing but no rain for it to grow. We did cut 4 lawns, 2 of which were our bi weekly cuts.

They are calling for showers/thunderstorms tonight though May 27th. Off and on scattered storms. I been wishing for rain but dam. not that much lol. Even though each day their saying like an hour or 2 of rain then just cloudy. so next week we'll see how many cuts we actually get done.

Paul

Comment

going to give you a tip about your Craigslist post. .. LOOSE THE KEYWORDS. . I have been on craigslist since it came out, alot of people hate (keywords) makes your ad look to gaudy plus also alot of "SCAM" ads have keywords at the bottom, just my thoughts. . .

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X