Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take My Card

Well Artie......

The Canada Winter games are being hosted by our city and start Thursday, ten's of thousands of people will be here to watch so.........

I sell wood crafts I make at the largest upscale farmers market in Atlantic Canada so I built a new display booth as we are open every day however I am only able to attend 8 of the days so......

I put the Take My Cards up this morning, man the feedback from people was amazing, they love them!

So you might get a bunch of strange inquiries
    Attached Files
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Nice work Andy!

You are blessed for sure
    (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

Nice work Andy!

You are blessed for sure
      Thanks bud, I had that rack in the middle made by my Blacksmith friend Scott, check this out http://www.scotianironworks.com/ it holds rolling pins I make, made four this week, by 7 a.m. this morning they were gone If the snow holds off as they are calling for another major dump here, I will be turning tomorrow, at least I don't have far to go to work, 15 sec walk!
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

did you make those pens yourself?

Comment

did you make those pens yourself?
          Yes I make everything we sell except cutting boards and knives, my son makes those two products. It's actually the rules here anyhow especially at this market.

Years ago I tought pen turning at a local college in the evenings, I have since tought probably 60 people, still have requests but no time. It's a very fun hobby and a great way to get started in turning.

I have a friend Bryon who is on long term disability helping me in the shop at the moment three days a week as we are pretty far behind.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

That looks fantastic!

I put the Take My Cards up this morning, man the feedback from people was amazing, they love them!
            What kind of feedback do you normally hear? Is it people looking to purchase from you or are they looking for you to make them other custom wood projects or what?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

That looks fantastic!

What kind of feedback do you normally hear? Is it people looking to purchase from you or are they looking for you to make them other custom wood projects or what?
              Constant, "What a GREAT Idea", "Where did you find these?", "Are they expensive"

They are buying product, I am no longer taking orders as I have too much of a back log.
              Andy
              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Nice! My Carpentry Teacher bought 2 lathes and a pen making kit for us to experiment with. I think its pretty fun. I haven't made my pen yet but i will this week something. Its very Relaxing! i'll post pics when i get it done finally

Comment

Nice! My Carpentry Teacher bought 2 lathes and a pen making kit for us to experiment with. I think its pretty fun. I haven't made my pen yet but i will this week something. Its very Relaxing! i'll post pics when i get it done finally
                  Fun, relaxing and you can make good money at it. I have a very close friend that is an editor of the largest woodworking magazine in the country, he put himself through University turning pens and other small items. I tought my son when he was 12 and was shocked at the money he made and continues to make although being in University he doesn't have much time so I am busy picking up the slack.

I am getting a lot of commercial orders as we have a local guy who laser engraves them, not only pens but razors with a brush engraved with the barber's name, this past week two local Universities put their orders in for graduates so I am booked pretty solid until landscaping starts.

We engrave wine stoppers for local wineries and coffee scoops for two local companies that roast their own coffee.
                  Andy
                  Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Nice! what Magazine does he work for? I enjoy it. I made a small baseball bat just messing around. My teacher only ordered 1 thing. So only one person can work at a time on the pen. I hope to do mine tomorrow if we are in school. What kind of Lathe did you get your son? What's the startup cost for making pens? Including a lathe. It sounds very awesome. I think it would be pretty cool.
                    The kit my teacher ordered is a pen and then there is another one that is a mechanical pencil. I'll take a picture when i Finally get it done.

Comment

Nice! what Magazine does he work for? I enjoy it. I made a small baseball bat just messing around. My teacher only ordered 1 thing. So only one person can work at a time on the pen. I hope to do mine tomorrow if we are in school. What kind of Lathe did you get your son? What's the startup cost for making pens? Including a lathe. It sounds very awesome. I think it would be pretty cool.
                      The kit my teacher ordered is a pen and then there is another one that is a mechanical pencil. I'll take a picture when i Finally get it done.
                      WOOD Magazine, I also worked for them for years, they are the largest in the world, my speciality is exotic and figured woods.

I started Seth with a Jet mini lathe, they are the best value for the buck, nothing can touch them, he made close to twenty grand (profit) in a year, I then bought him a OneWay but that Lathe is nine grand. He needed a bigger lathe as he turns bowls up to 24".

You can get set up and going for about $500.00, that would be for pens. Always buy quality, there are many brands on the market and going cheap with a lathe and tools in my experience is an accident looking for a place to happen and running the WOOD forums I read about it a lot.

Good luck, once you make one, like pretty much anyone I have spoken with, you will be hooked It's a very good addiction however and as I said, you can make serious coin, a lot more than you would in lawn care.
                      Andy
                      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Ya i have heard that magazine before! $500 isn't bad at all. How do you get started selling them?

Comment

Ya i have heard that magazine before! $500 isn't bad at all. How do you get started selling them?
                          Once you have nice pens, start with friends and family to get the cash flow going, then craft shows, local business's informing them you can engrave, real estate agents buy a lot from us to give to clients as do many companies, they are excellent corporate gifts, then word of mouth will start.
                          Andy
                          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

hm.. I will keep this in mind! I'm thinking about doing this in the winter as a hobby and then Selling them thanks

Comment

Andy, how in the world do you have time to do this with all the lawn work and other stuff going on? Do you ever sleep?

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X