No announcement yet.

Bought a GPS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already had a GPS unit and the day I went into business I mounted it in the truck. It has saved me so much money by getting me to the job the first time without driving in circles for hours.
    White Company

Comment

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd tag along on this one in the hopes of picking your brains...

I needed to get one of these things (GPS) for work. I started looking into them (no prior experience at all) and after hearing favorable reviews of the Garmin units, I decided I'd get a Garmin Nuvi 1350LMT as Sears had one on sale for $149 yesterday. Well, the one that was advertised was the LMT (lifetime maps AND traffic updates), but the one that came up for that price online just had the "T" (traffic updates), so I looked around a bit more. (I wanted one w/lifetime map and traffic)

I saw that Best Buy had a Nuvi 1300 for $129 and since the only difference seems to be the lack of "lane assist" and "speed limit" indicator, I figured I'd just get that one.

THEN when I went to the store I saw that they had a TomTom XXL 550TM for the same price. ($129) Hmmm... the Garmin had 4.3" screen and the TomTom has a 5" screen.(doesn't sound like it, but the difference is notable) In addition, the TomTom has lane assist, and a few other little things, so I took a chance and picked it up.

I'm not thoroughly impressed. It's supposed to have this feature called "IQ Routes" which sends you on the fastest route for the time of day based upon "historical traffic data, broken down by the day of the week and time of day, the latter in 15 minute increments."
      Well, a few hours ago, I plugged in the street names for an intersection where I was going to get gas. Not only does that particular gas station not even appear on the list of nearby stations, but the unit had me going on a half-assed route through my neighborhood, as opposed to the truly fastest way to get there.

Another thing I didn't like was that it repeats some instructions at odd times.
      Ex. "In 2.5 miles, exit right, exit 74", then at about .5 miles from the exit, it repeated the EXACT same thing. Wait, WHAT?! Then within seconds, it correctly stated "In 1/4 mile, exit right".

It also announced the exits as their "old" numbers... they were changed roughly a year ago.

I mean, am I just expecting too much based upon the praise I hear for these technological "wonders"?

My other gripe is the manner in which destination points are entered...

Enter the city name first.
      Enter the Street name second.
      Enter the house number last.

??? That's "backwards"!

As you type, a list of possible names you are searching for pops up so that you may select one - that's great, but what if I don't KNOW the actual "city"? Lots of people will give me a house number and street, but if I forget to ask for the town, I'm sort of screwed.

Now... if I want to find an address on Google Maps on my computer, I just start typing "from the beginning" (house number, street, then city), and possible choices will pop up. Even without knowing the "city", I can almost always locate the correct address this way.
      DO ANY OTHER GPS UNITS ALLOW FOR THIS TYPE OF ADDRESS "SEARCHING"/ENTERING?

If so, I may return this and get something else.
      I'm also not thrilled with the window mount. While the suction cup thingy works well, the bracket pops off the back of the unit at the slightest nudge.

I was trying to go for something "affordable", but when I consider that I can use this as a tax write off (for business), maybe I should just spend a few more dollars for something "better" - maybe even one that allows you to "speak" the destination rather than typing it, and one that is Bluetooth compatible may be a wise choice, as I will not use a hand held cell phone while driving.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd tag along on this one in the hopes of picking your brains...

Any suggestions appreciated.
        Here is a site with reviews. Prior to this yardcare/excavation company, I was the C.O.O. and C.F.O. of one of the largest GPS tracking companies in Canada, we worked close with Law enforcement, tracking social workers who may have an issue visiting certain locations, plow trucks, transports etc.

Anyhow I attained a lot of first hand experience with what worked and what did not, it was interesting many of the units we brought in for trial and testing did not live up to what they were supposed to do and in many cases did not work at all.

the kids and I went to Florida for Christmas two years ago (shopping trip), we rented a Camry at the airport and a GPS system, it was a TomTom, it had to be the most frustrating unit I have used, took us where we didn't want to go, missing locations and a few other issues.

Personally I have used Garmin for years in my own vehicles, company vehicles etc. I do not have one complaint with them.

Here is a good read

http://www.gpsunitreports.com/

For searching a location, Garmin is City, number, street. If you only want the street, when it asks you for street number, just press done. They may very well have voice activated units, I haven't bought a GPS for two years as ours all work great. My 2009 Jetta has a voice activated computer, it is sweet, I can hit a button on the steering wheel and say call son, dial 555-1212 etc. I thought when I bought it that this option was overkill but once you use it a few times, it is something to have.

a voice activated GPS would be sweet as I hate typing while driving, especially when I am pulling a lot of weight, drivers do not seem to have any respect at all and I drive most of the time in a defensive mode to avoid accidents, which this year was pretty brutal some weeks.
        Last edited by picframer; 11-29-2010, 07:02 AM.
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

What is that lane assist feature? What does that do? I am seeing now on some new cars they have some kind of safety feature that is supposed to help keep you in your lane and I am wondering if this is similar or tied in with that.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What is that lane assist feature? What does that do? I am seeing now on some new cars they have some kind of safety feature that is supposed to help keep you in your lane and I am wondering if this is similar or tied in with that.

My TomTom has the same thing. (they call it Advanced Lane guidance)
            When you near the exit on an interstate, the view changes from the standard mapping to this...

It shows exactly which lane(s) you need to get into with a flashing green arrow, as well as the white arrow displayed on the bottom. I thought it was stupid, but I suppose it can be useful when there are multiple lanes that can be used for exiting. It popped up for me the other night on the way back home and was showing me that I could use either of the two right lanes to continue to my destination.

It's nothing more than a visual assist to the current GPS directions.

Comment

Thanks! That could be very helpful.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
              X