• Show
Clear All

good stuff Chuck
    slammed here in St Pete too
    Life is good

Comment

Welcome back

Welcome back.

I came out a little better than break even in 09 business wise. This was after paying myself a $500.00 per week salary. My wife makes good money so we can keep up with our bills nicely.

I plan on spending about $25k this spring on equipment upgrades. A John Deere X749 PTO tractor with tiller, box blade, and a bigger sprayer. I have orders that will pay it off this season. I picked up 5 sod jobs so far this week (till, level, spray and sod). I will not be doing any mowing this year other than current customers. I refer to another who pays me 7.5% for the work. Concentrating this year on organic soil upgrading.

I also started internet sale of organic products to homeowners. Pre-mixed organic chemicals in quart, half gallon and gallon quantities. Starting to take off (not as well as I hoped, but the orders are starting to come in. http://organiclawncarestore.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Steve

Comment

John, Glad to hear you are busy too. It's nice ain't it?

Steve, That's great to hear your other ventures (service & product lines) are starting to take off, I know it can be slow at 1st but things tend to gain momentum. I never did get into organics...? I remember you recommending that I do, I don't really know where, but I guess that idea went by the wayside somewhere. I should look into it further.

I have 1 renovation next week that the back yard lawn was Xerscaped about 13 yrs ago, now it's overgrown with weeds, bushes & trees, some areas are rock, some shell some mulch etc. It's all coming out, I am bringing in about 23 Cu yds of top soil, regrading it, then an irrigation company will replace the irrigation system (which I will inevitably destroy in the process), & then we'll lay the new sod. It's a pretty good size job for us. Looking forward to it... (we'll kinda).

Comment

Chuck,

You always have so much going on down there. How many crews are you looking to run this year? Do you forsee a certain employee goal by the end of this season? Or is that not a big issue?

I also started internet sale of organic products to homeowners. Pre-mixed organic chemicals in quart, half gallon and gallon quantities. Starting to take off (not as well as I hoped, but the orders are starting to come in. http://organiclawncarestore.web.offi...m/default.aspx
          Would putting a link to this in your signature help?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Not sure Steve, I may keep it to the 1 truck/3 guys as I have in years past, I may blow it up. Expanding is a commitment I am having trouble making. Business is still growing & I want to expand it, but 1) I can't help but be a little nervouse about a shakey economy 2) I lack that key trustworthy, reliable, responsible employee to head the 2nd crew.
            This mental battle has been going on for over a year now, I hate it.

Comment

I lack that key trustworthy, reliable, responsible employee to head the 2nd crew.
              Have you thought about options you may have to build a better bond with your employees?

Do you ever consider enacting certain policies that would build their desire to be productive and want to possibly take over a route? Or do you feel it's always going to be a battle in this industry where as soon as someone learns enough, they will jump ship and start their own business?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X