No announcement yet.

Competition Folds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We might be a service industry but go get your vehicle fixed, maybe the furnace in your house, washer, what about gas, groceries, insurance, try to tell these companies you can't pay for 60 or 90 days and see what happens, we have to stick by the same terms, IMHO.
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

This is a very interesting topic. I think part of my problem is that sometimes we tend to think that asking to get paid is a "dirty topic". Yet, when you are on the other side of the counter or mower (so to speak) you wold not think anything about it if the person were to ask you about payment. The consumer expects to have to pay for the service they are receiving. If they don't they don't need the service. Plain and simple.

Oddly enough, one of my worst paying customers is my next door neighbor. He owes me $35 and has for several months. I seldom see him now, but I used to see him all the time before.... Go figure. He is a cheap skate to begin with so I figure if he stays away I can deal with that. If he comes by and wants something I will flat out tell him I need the money from last time before we even look at anything else. And from here on out, its pay up front BEFORE I release the equipment. PERIOD.

With that said, I know this same customer is going to want to buy a used push mower this spring. No problem, I have several on hand but I will need my money before hand....

Comment

Oddly enough, one of my worst paying customers is my next door neighbor. He owes me $35 and has for several months.
        This is a great example, can you tell us how he ended up owing you the $35? Do you think this problem just comes down to the way small businesses are operated or is this more an issue of customers feel they can take advantage of a small business owner, or in this case a neighbor who is a small business owner.

Is this a two way street or can one side clamp down and solve the problem?

The other thing I wonder is, does small business exist because they offer a flexibility in payment or is this not important at all for it to function?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

This is a great example, can you tell us how he ended up owing you the $35? Do you think this problem just comes down to the way small businesses are operated or is this more an issue of customers feel they can take advantage of a small business owner, or in this case a neighbor who is a small business owner.

Is this a two way street or can one side clamp down and solve the problem?

The other thing I wonder is, does small business exist because they offer a flexibility in payment or is this not important at all for it to function?
          The way this happened is he needed the mower, but did not have the money. He said, I'll pay you next week. blah, blah, blah. The reason he thinks he can get away with it is because we are "friends". I think this week I will go over and tell him I need to get paid. I like the guy, like them as neighbors. They watch my place while I am gone. I don't think he is trying to get away with never paying, but simply he may be having a hard time.

I think small business can exist because they tend to still be "human". They still have that human feel to them. Because of that, we tend to feel sorry for people and give them a break or whatever it may be. I am not against giving people a break, if they deserve. I personally give my pastor a break on everything. To me, that is something that is directly between me and my pastor.

Comment

But it is fascinating how it all goes. Somewhere there has to be a happy median. I wish there was some kind of rule of thumb for this, like don't ever have more than X% of your income floating around out there uncollected in your accounts receivable.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X