No announcement yet.

Taking customers from other lawn care providers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am involved in my community and i am known ok. Mostly for my past in building motorcycles and I have handed out cards on occasions. I know that that will help long term but I am looking at trying to get some sort of customer base now.

I was thinking about just driving around from neighborhood to neighborhood and just stopping and asking people that looks as if they need the service.

Comment

I am involved in my community and i am known ok. Mostly for my past in building motorcycles
      That got me thinking. Could you do something like this to stand out? Check out the picture in the link below. There is a motorcycle pulling a small trailer with a mower. Could you do something like that and would that get people talking in your area and attract more attention to your business?

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7573
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I am trying to build my customer base and from what I have seen ust about anyone in my area that needs lawncare already has someone so that means I will have to "take away" the other lawncare companies customers.
        Do some reading on supply and demand. I think every business owner should understand how this works. Higher demand equates to lower supply so on and so forth. Higher supply means lower demand which is what you are facing now. Your prices may have to be temporarily adjusted to reflect this but if you do good work your clients will pay a higher price next season

I have decent equipment and I have a nice little truck that I have lettered up nicely so I can look like a pro and hopefully gain the respect and trust of people.
        I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it sounded but looking like a pro and being a pro are 2 very different things. If you have no customers now start doing research. Drive around your service area and look at what seems to stick out the most. If most of your service area has nice large lush lawns read about caring for lawns, If hedges seems to be the big thing read about caring and pruning them so on and so forth. Put an add in your local paper. Dont list any prices, when you get a call insist on meeting the client face to face. When you do take a few extra minutes away from business talk to "shoot the chit" I have found this to be the number 1 hook line and sinker to get your clients. Listen to who they are and what they have done and relate if you can but do not pretend. A war veteran can pick out a wannabee war veteran in a heart beat so on and so forth. Everyone has a story. Find out theirs and talk about it. My area is full of older people who love to sit and talk. Its my opinion that only half my job is to care for there yard, the other half is to sit and listed as they commonly feel forgotten when noone ells listen. Not only that they are on fixed incomes so the job market dose not effect them and there checks are always good.
        Last edited by jasonw; 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM.
        White Company

Comment

When I said looking like a pro i menat it as that i am trying to have a polished look and the majority of lawncare providers are, in my opinion, jack leggs. they have rusted out trucks that are often multi-colored and they look like tey have been wearing the same clothes for days. I just want that polisehd professional look. I like a very neat apperance.

Comment

When I said looking like a pro i menat it as that i am trying to have a polished look and the majority of lawncare providers are, in my opinion, jack leggs. they have rusted out trucks that are often multi-colored and they look like tey have been wearing the same clothes for days. I just want that polisehd professional look. I like a very neat apperance.
            I agree. I cant tell you how many 1978 yellow, green and blue Chevy trucks I see around here full of weed eaters. I try to look professional all the time. My truck is nice, my equipment is nice and when I get a little dirty I blow myself off with the 2G compressor in the truck. I get made fun of a lot because my equipment is cleaned every nite and every few weeks I polish everything with mothers but my 6yo mower still looks and works new. I even go as far as using Valvoline in all my equipment as I have used it for years. You can tell a lot about a lawn care person by the presentation of there equipment. That being said sometimes at the end of the day, on the last house you just cant help but look and smell the part. I guess all we can do is try.
            White Company

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X