California tax question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California tax question?

Well maybe its at the federal level I don't know but anyway I live in California if that matters. I was wandering sence my truck will be used for business as well can I claim half the cost as a business expense? Its my understanding sence it will be for personal use as well that I can not claim the gas or maintenance but I "had" to buy it for business as well so it seems I should be able to take advantage of some sort of tax write off at the end of the year.
    White Company

Is it registered under your name or your business name? I think that plays a big part.

Ultimately I would ask an accountant. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

It doesnt matter if it is in your name or business. The way it works (Im not an accountant, but this is how H&R Blocks does it for me). You can claim .40 (cents) per mile as a deduction. If you use the truck 75% for your business, then it is based off of 75% of how many miles you used it. Also the cost of your truck can be deducted over a 5 year span. Maybe this helps.
      Northern California

Comment

That helps a lot thank you. So the entire cost of the truck can be deducted of 5 years? I wander if they will deduct this just in one year sence its less than 3k.
        White Company

Comment

My stepdad just bought a new Tundra and was able to deduct the cost over a 5 year span. I dont know how it works with used vehicles,
          Northern California

Comment

Working...
          X