No announcement yet.

2 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be a great learning experience.

I'd love to see some pictures of these hedges!
    You know what, while looking at the yard and walking around with the old guy I told myself to get my cell phone and take some pictures before I leave. Then I got in the car and told myself to turn around so I was facing the right way to leave and get those pictures. Then after turning around I drove past and went home. I will try to get those pictures tomorow when I get out there and start working
    White Company

Comment

Steve. Here is the Google Earth view of the front of the house.
      Attached Files
      White Company

Comment

to me

thats the old manual routine. i dont think i could take an electric trimmer to those. speed is 2 fast and what happens if you do make a mistake? i dont think i would personally, some could of course, i just dont think i would chance it. plus, your getting paid by the hour whats the rush..LOL

Comment

I almost agree. I am bringing some manual old clippers just in case. There are some large bushes on the side of the house that they want cut back so they can walk through the area without brushing them. They are large enough to take a few days so I will go at them with my electric trimmer and get it done. I am not so much worried about getting paid by the hour as much as I am about the customer being happy with the service so my plan is to get in and get out as fast as I can and have there yard in top shape for the coming weekend.
          White Company

Comment

Hey Jason
            Just my 2 cents worth on the bushes. I hate trimming bushes because I'm always afraid I'm gonna screw it up. However, once I started I found out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The biggest key in cutting hedges or bushes is to take off just a little at a time. I start by just trying to shape them first, and then I work on trimming them back. This way you have a good guidline to go by. Also, if you come to a thin spot, always leave a little green on there. It looks better and keeps it from looking like it was your fault. The trimmer I use is just a Poulan Pro. It's the one that has the removable attachments. It came with a pole pruner but I went to Home Depot and bought what they call an "Expand-It" hedge trimmer attachment. The pole pruner really comes in handy for customers wanting a small pruning job. It's heavier than an electric hedge trimmer, but it sure makes quick work of bushes. I also like the extended reach as well.
            Kendrick
            Cedar Lawn Care Services, LLC
            Kirksville, MO

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I am leaving in about an hour or so and I am pretty nervous. As I said I trimmed my bush and it wasn't really hard but it dose not look like a seasoned professional did it however doing my own bush gave me the feel and that was a lot of help. As far as the trimmer I got I decided to go cheepo and get a 7.2V black and Decker that came with 2 attachments. As I said I didn't like the fact that it took like 16 hours to charge so I modified it to use my fast charger. My biggest concern now is this damn Elephant, hopefully I can just to minimal work on it until I can learn some more. Also a concern of mine is the trimmer has an optional poll attachment but Lowes didn't have that in so I am bringing my ladder as some of the bushes are beyond my reach. I am hoping my ladder will be able to get me high enough to do a good job. The bottom line is if I cant then I will have to go back and buy more stuff to get the job done correctly. We have a huge gathering at my house tomorow so that is out. I was going to go back and finish Sunday if I could not get it all done with the time available today however a friend of mine who is it the handyman trade said that's not professional. He said always to give the homeowner there weekends to them selves. Is this true? I don't mind working weekend and as a matter a fact with a day job and 2 kids the weekends are the best time for me. Anyway hopefully I am just over reacting and everything will go smooth and I will get r done today.
              White Company

Comment

I just found this while reading about the subject. to to to funny.
                Attached Files
                White Company

Comment

I just found this while reading about the subject. to to to funny.
                  Ive gotta get this good. lol
                  www.pleasehelpmylawn.com

Comment

hmmm..i understand the schedules on both sides however, work when you can work people dont mind they really don't. I work on the weekends and nobody ever said anything to me before. just tell your client that your backed up and right now this is the only time you can do it. sometimes when you bid on a job you take extra money just in case you dont have the equipment. alot of people do that and i think its ok too but, dont work for free either when you have money to buy on equipment then its paid for sooner or later you will have to buy it again. make cents?

Comment

Well I didn't finish yesterday so I am going back tomorow to get r done. Every time I turned around I was being given more work which is great. So much that I have hired my first person to help me get it done tomorow. I am not sure who said it but someone said the clean up was the hard part well I see what you mean now. I cleaned up every little peace I could find on the ground and still seemed to miss some. Especially when the small peaces got down in the rocks. I finally came to the conclusion that picking up every single little peace was not acceptable as I would be sifting through the rocks for days. Was this the right thinking? Anyway I was in such a hurry packing up at the end of the day I forgot the get a picture of the front yard. I will try to remember tomorow but attached is my handy work on the side yard. The home owner complained that the last guy ignored him and rounded the bottom of the bushes when he specifically asked for them to go strait to the ground. I explained it would be a while before we could do this because they were cut back so bad at the bottom. Sorry for the quality but the picture was taken from my Blackjack.
                      Attached Files
                      White Company

Comment

One more picture.
                        Attached Files
                        White Company

Comment

yup

do you have leaf blower? that would help in the rocks department

Comment

Yes I tried that. It just spread out the mess. We are talking an acre of rock here so forget blowing it out oif the rock, the whole property is rock.
                            White Company

Comment

Then lay down tarps 1st, Trim them pick up the tarp.

Comment

Looks like you did just fine! I have used tarps in the past and they work out great. It all depends on how big the project is. As far as getting all the clippings, I've yet to run into a customer who has wanted every single clipping picked up...however I haven't had a customer with all rock and no grass. HAHA! And as far as working on the weekends..I work weekends AND holidays. In fact, I worked today on the 4th of July. If there's money to be made, I'm working..period. But I'm single and have no life so that makes a difference too! I've only had one time when a customer demanded I not work and that was because she was trying to look out for me when our temps were in the lower 100's. I understand her concerns, however I hate it when someone throws a wrench in my schedule, especially when I'm finally getting caught up.
                                Kendrick
                                Cedar Lawn Care Services, LLC
                                Kirksville, MO

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X