No announcement yet.

1st helper expectations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve. I printed that out for future reference. It adds some comfort to have agreement in your logic, so it's very helpful when other's experiences support the plan.
    Larry Puckette
    Larry's Lawns
    Seguin Texas

Comment

I know it may seem as if I am comming off as sour grapes here, but I have LOTS of experiences, way too much experience.

I was an easy guy to get along with, gave days off requested, paid them higher than industry standards at the time, paid health insurance, paid for phones, AND let them drive my truck with my gas as personal vehicles.

Untold to me, one of them was parkng the mowing trailer at their apartment. One morning at 10:00am, not 7:00am, I get a call that all three mowers and the trailer were stolen.

My point is, is that was just some of the problems I had with them.

I told them if they showed up at 8:00am(start time) Id pay one dollar more per hour for that day, never happened.

It wasnt just those employees, I had issues with EVERY empoyee. I will build up a good sized company again, but it will only be me!

Rant over
      My hair is turning white, my necks alwayas been red, my collar is still blue

Comment

Hi F3Nelson,

I do appreciate your insight! It is helpful to know the down side of things too.

Can you tell us other problems you ran into with employees? That way those reading this post will have a heads up and be aware to watch for these problems.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 11 2008,10:27)]Hi F3Nelson,

I do appreciate your insight! It is helpful to know the down side of things too.

Can you tell us other problems you ran into with employees? That way those reading this post will have a heads up and be aware to watch for these problems.
          I pretty much ran the gammit, the whole spectrum, the whole if it can go wrong it will, and at the worst time.

Actually my brother was my first employee, and he was a very good one. He actually learned the business very well, and ended up becoming the lead salesperson instead of being a grunt.

So I think to myself, cool, I'll hire my other brother(not Darrell)and see how that goes. It didnt work at all. I found out once he dropped off the guys on his crew to mow a property, and he decided to take his jet ski to get fixed while the crew members were working!

He was a pretty bad employee but I kept him on anyway(another rule, dont do business with family) untill finally one day I asked him if he had mowed an important property and he said yes.

Well, for some reason I checked on it, and it had NOT been done, I had to let him go. (again dont do business with family) It took him a while to get over it, but we are all good now.

I can agree with the guys that say, if you have ONE really, and I mean really good employee, you could get more done. But then your employee will want more money, more time off, sick days......green M/M's everyday before you start......you get the point.

Ive been small and Ive been big in the Lawn business, and I'd never go BIG again!!!! Just me, my truck and my mower and LOTS of cash!

Comment

Would even a single employee that was with you at all times be helpful or no?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Yes, becuase you should be able to do twice as much with two guys as you can with one, and you are not "splitting" the money with your worker.

I dont think that 3 man crews are very effective though, thats just being lazy, thats what I did, I just didnt wanna trim, so I hired another guy to do it.

Comment

So then possibly if a lawn care business owner wants to do more work but still maintain control over what is going on, would you advise just hiring an extra helper and then keep it at that?

Comment

Guys... if your not going to hire anybody, you should go be somebodys right hand man... sure growing pains are tuff, but nobody said developing your own business would be easy... In alot of my post you'll notice how I stress that you need to be a businessman (or woman) first and a grass cutter/ landscaper second. You need to learn how to read peoples strengths and weaknesses... Fortunately, I have a knack for that. I look a this, I just hired two new foreman this year which puts me out of the field now. My wife and I talked about it all winter... is it worth $13-$15 dollars and hour to have me out of the field... doing estimates, marketing, following up with customers... absolutely. You cant always look at that $10.00 employee as a liability... hes out to make you money...its up to you to make that happen... and remember, a happy employee is a good employee

Comment

Quote[/b] (All Aspects Landscaping @ Feb. 12 2008,10:19)]Guys... if your not going to hire anybody, you should go be somebodys right hand man... sure growing pains are tuff, but nobody said developing your own business would be easy... In alot of my post you'll notice how I stress that you need to be a businessman (or woman) first and a grass cutter/ landscaper second. You need to learn how to read peoples strengths and weaknesses... Fortunately, I have a knack for that. I look a this, I just hired two new foreman this year which puts me out of the field now. My wife and I talked about it all winter... is it worth $13-$15 dollars and hour to have me out of the field... doing estimates, marketing, following up with customers... absolutely. You cant always look at that $10.00 employee as a liability... hes out to make you money...its up to you to make that happen... and remember, a happy employee is a good employee
                    You wanna be someone's right hand man, do the same job and make 12 bucks an hour instead of what you should make......LOL

You should run your business instead of it running you......couldnt agree more!

A 10 dollar an hour employee that is out to make you money...............ROFLMFAO, yeah, I bet he's dreaming of climbing that corporate ladder........

I see you have had more luck with employees than I, grats, but you wont ever see anyone but me on my properties this year.

Comment

Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 12 2008,9:27)]So then possibly if a lawn care business owner wants to do more work but still maintain control over what is going on, would you advise just hiring an extra helper and then keep it at that?
                      Yes, but thats just me.

Ive had employee headaches, and to me they are not worth it...

Comment

there always room for advancement... the more i make the more my guys make

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X