No announcement yet.

Start-up Advice...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote[/b] ]But I have had some apprehension of using my MTD lawn mower. I too am concerned about image. I could pull off buying a 42" John Deere ZTR from Lowes/Home Depot but I would have to put it on my card.
    When you talk about your apprehension, what do you feel is the issue? Will the customer not want your service because you have an MTD mower? Or is it an apprehension of what other lawn care operators in the area will say about you? Or is it something else?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I think the home owner is the issue really. But you know what? I think if I hired someone and they mowed my lawn with the old school manual push mower but it looked good, I wouldn't care.

My brother said 1/2 his residents have gated back yards and he has to mow by pushing anyway.

Comment

Quote[/b] (Big Lebowski @ July 18 2007,9:48)]I think the home owner is the issue really. But you know what? I think if I hired someone and they mowed my lawn with the old school manual push mower but it looked good, I wouldn't care.

My brother said 1/2 his residents have gated back yards and he has to mow by pushing anyway.
        I see what you are saying. I think you are always better off getting started today with what you have and improving on it as you go.

You could also take the view point if your equipment doesn't look too expensive, then maybe you won't charge too much. Sometimes being frugal and conservative is attractive to customers.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I started with a Craftsman push mower I bought at the flea market, along with a $20 hand held blower from a local engine shop (or a CRAPSman as he called it). I had no trouble getting accounts with these and used them for the first year I was in business, until they CRAPPED out on me. Its not about selling your equipment, it's about selling your service and work ethic.
          Northern California

Comment

Thank you littles for posting. Can you tell me if you ever received any negative comments or reactions from your customers when you had that equipment?

Comment

Working...
            X