advertising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote[/b] (landonkade @ May 28 2007,3:12)]
    Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 28 2007,1:26)]Have you also considered offering similar services that you offer in Orkin? Could you put that training you have to use with it?

Would you like to offer those services as additional services?
    yes, i think i can use the knowledge from orkin to help with the services of the lawn care. like include pest conrol in the contract or something of that nature

I have *Question:
    * * * *I know that some companies start small( like push mower and old riding mower) and work there way big. I did the oppoiste, i stated big like commerical mower and all other things and have debt coming soon like $345 a month for all the lawn equipment and plus now have truck payment of $151 a month.

Now with me starting big and all the debt, will i still come out ahead and it wouldnt matter how i started, i think i can acheive it. One other problem i have for the fall and winter is that i did not get a bagger with the mower, i got the mulching kit. I think my better chance to go steady in the fall/winter is to get a bagger. I have a positve outlook on my goals

any secerts or keys to open the door,lol
    I started out in horrible debt at first, and it took me a long time to recover, believe it or not I am still recovering from some business debt.

I bought two commercial mowers at first and racked up around $7,000 in debt. I only had about 10 customers at the time too. My best advice I give to all companies, do not go into debt unless you can pay off that debt within a years time. If you don't, it will just hurt you in the long run by limiting your purchasing and budgetting procedures.

Try to purchase every in cash or in credit if you can pay it off in a year. Sure, truck purchases are the exceptions though. If you need certain items now and then, such as aerations, walk behind leaf blowers, dethatchers, etc. I would suggest to rent them. You actually will save money in the long run.

My best advice though for you right now is one of two things; grow big and fast now to pay off your equipment, or sell off itesm that you do not use and use that money towards your debt.

Comment

Quote[/b] ]i am in the process of doing a yard that has 40 bushes that need to be trimmed around the sides of the home and around back ( some over head high, some head high, and some knee high sitting on 3 acres, with 20 oak trees in the front yard and grass cutting and weedeating, the home is sitting off the road about 250 yards or so,lol.

i was thinking like $300 for the inital and then $75 every other time. are both these prices to high or to low or just right, with me and another person working on it.
      Do you have an idea of how long it will take you? Also do you have an idea what your expenses are per hour?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 31 2007,8:55)]
        Quote[/b] ]i am in the process of doing a yard that has 40 bushes that need to be trimmed around the sides of the home and around back ( some over head high, some head high, and some knee high sitting on 3 acres, with 20 oak trees in the front yard and grass cutting and weedeating, the home is sitting off the road about 250 yards or so,lol.

i was thinking like $300 for the inital and then $75 every other time. are both these prices to high or to low or just right, with me and another person working on it.
        Do you have an idea of how long it will take you? Also do you have an idea what your expenses are per hour?
        nevermind about that, she never called back, and some one else got it,lol. but o well i'll gain more. it would have been a good one though

what would be a good hourly rate for me to make profit plus pay for my equipment, me just working by myself?

Comment

Hi

I was reading your story and I would like to add something. I have been in the business for 1 year now I started out with a push mower and a cheap blower and edger and using my wife kia sportage. And working on weekends with a fulltime job also. As I got more accounts I got better equipment, as I paid of one thing I got another. I have only 45 accounts, it is hard to get past 45 as every community is gated. When I quit my fulltime job I got a job delieving pizza at night, I talk to my boss and he lets me advertize on the boxes for free. It is good way to control me areas that I want to get my company name out there. As I get new customers I lose one. I gust started to request contracts and see how that will gose.

I have had one customer that asked me to do a yard cleanup one flower bed at each time I come. Stay away from that as I leaned the hard way. You work hard do a great job and the customer decides the hardpart is over and he could do the rest himself. I going to stay away for customers that won't sign contract for now on. I have lost alot on money for people that won't pay....... I wish there is a way I can get the money form them?

Comment

Quote[/b] (gman @ June 02 2007,12:44)]Hi

I was reading your story and I would like to add something. I have been in the business for 1 year now I started out with a push mower and a cheap blower and edger and using my wife kia sportage. And working on weekends with a fulltime job also. As I got more accounts I got better equipment, as I paid of one thing I got another. I have only 45 accounts, it is hard to get past 45 as every community is gated. When I quit my fulltime job I got a job delieving pizza at night, I talk to my boss and he lets me advertize on the boxes for free. It is good way to control me areas that I want to get my company name out there. As I get new customers I lose one. I gust started to request contracts and see how that will gose.

I have had one customer that asked me to do a yard cleanup one flower bed at each time I come. Stay away from that as I leaned the hard way. You work hard do a great job and the customer decides the hardpart is over and he could do the rest himself. I going to stay away for customers that won't sign contract for now on. I have lost alot on money for people that won't pay....... I wish there is a way I can get the money form them?
            yeah i have noticed that people keep putting me off, since i dont have a contract going. so i have decided to start doing the contracts and also referral letters to help me gain customers. i will check into that idea about putting flyers or something on the pizza boxes

Comment

If you put a contract into play, at what risk of capitol would you stop service? what about the lawyer fees. Small claims court is a hassle and a waste of time! If they like your work, they will pay.

Try a letter that states that your business is funded by the business for the business.

Put a net 10 day return date on all invoices and mail out your invoice on the 15th or 30th

Ask your slow payers if a different due date would help them stay current and avoid disruption in service

You can also offer a $2.00 discount if mailed within 10 days - this works well to generate fast cash in a pinch - be selective to only the slow payers with this offer.

How is everybody els dealing with deadbeats?

Tom

Comment

Those are some very good points! Is there a monetary point you would suggest other lcos to stop work until payment is made?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

You have to evaluate the customer from the word go. if they seem squirly, than you either take the job and risk, or bid it high and walk away. If a customer calls you for service, they usually will pay you.

to answer your question: I would cut them off after a 60 day extensive attempt to collect (in house letter campaign).

A material based install would require 50% up front to cover material.

Live and learn

Comment

Quote[/b] (grounded @ June 05 2007,5:56)]You have to evaluate the customer from the word go. if they seem squirly, than you either take the job and risk, or bid it high and walk away. If a customer calls you for service, they usually will pay you.

to answer your question: I would cut them off after a 60 day extensive attempt to collect (in house letter campaign).

A material based install would require 50% up front to cover material.

Live and learn
                    i am in the process of sending out referral letters to gain more customers, and then probaly afterwords send out price increase letters. so i hope everything goes good and i gain alot,lol

Comment

all this info is very good thanks for helping people

Comment

I know this may seem strange but I use contracts for all my weekly, bimonthly and monthly clients. I can even draw up a contract for a single service contract if needed.
                        If the job is a very large one requiring more then just a lawn service call then I will not go forward with the job until half of the payment is received. As for my lawn service only customers I receive payment in one of two ways only- I am paid before the beginning of next month of service giving the customer a small percent discount for this or they pay me every two weeks. If I do not receive payment then no work is scheduled or done.
                        Because I live in a large military area I have opted to have a 30 day written notice for clients to break their contract. I know military can come and go in a moments notice. For everyone else I have a lawyer who has nothing better to do then handle legal matters for his clients and would take it to court if I gave the word go.
                        I hope this helps.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X