No announcement yet.

Beginner Mistakes: Bagging Grass Clippings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your advertising campaigns can not look like they are homemade when up against some slick competitor's campaign.
    Do you feel there is a place for more cheaper looking marketing when a new business owner is looking for the cheaper customers? Or is it just better straight from the start to look as professional with your marketing as possible?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Marketing is probably one of those things that has to be done right from the beginning if you want to grow. The rule of thumb for a brick and mortar establishment is to spend as much on marketing as you do on rent. Now for us, we usually don't have rent, so.... but it shows the importance of marketing.

I would think you would be better off cutting back spending on tools and equipment and focusing more on marketing at first. Start out with a mower, weedeater, blower, and trailer. Then as the business starts to come, buy the "extras" like hedge trimmers and chainsaw, or whatever.

Comment

Does anyone have any additional beginner mistakes to add to this thread?
        Lack of business plan/goal.

No budgeting or accounting

Most of the mistakes are on the administrative side IMHO

FWIW we have never spent a dime on an active marketing campaign.

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when starting out is caring about what other lco's think. Most lco are just following their opinions and think because they asked a guy starting out that it must be fright or close. When fact is its the blind leading the blind , no matter the job.

Come up withYOUR NUMBERS focus on MANAGEMENT, MARKETING and keep it simple ..... When you get a check ...put it in the bank not your back pocket.

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when starting out is caring about what other lco's think. Most lco are just following their opinions and think because they asked a guy starting out that it must be fright or close. When fact is its the blind leading the blind , no matter the job.

Come up withYOUR NUMBERS focus on MANAGEMENT, MARKETING and keep it simple ..... When you get a check ...put it in the bank not your back pocket.
            J somewhat agree, however; the biggest mistake is thinking I have to charge less to get business. Charge the same as everybody else, if you don't get the job you probably did not want it. Don't go broke just to get business.

Comment

I laughed when I read your post, I realized it has more to do with a persons personality then anything when talking mistakes.

I read your post and went " there are so many posible mistakes we can and do make" .... It's our own personalities that cause us to continue making the same ones day after day.

Comment

TRUE> When I started this business I was told that no matter what, charge 50 to 75 per hour. when I asked why, was told you will get paid for at most 20 hours a week to break even, it is only after that you make money. This by a guy who spent 40 years in business making 150 to 200 K per year.

Comment

It's our own personalities that cause us to continue making the same ones day after day.
                  Do you think this is why some entrepreneurs seem to have an easier time at starting and running a business than others? With the right personality, certain people are just more predisposed to do better and have an easier time being a business owner?

While maybe others have to constantly fight themselves to stay on track because they have to do things that are opposed to how they would normally handle situations?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Do you think this is why some entrepreneurs seem to have an easier time at starting and running a business than others? With the right personality, certain people are just more predisposed to do better and have an easier time being a business owner?

While maybe others have to constantly fight themselves to stay on track because they have to do things that are opposed to how they would normally handle situations?
                    I totally agree with this. I feel there are 2 types of people in this world. Business Owners, then the 9-5er's. We all lack in spots at business owners. Some are better at management, others advertising, or some are good all around. I know I lack in the management department. I can run guys very well but I'm not very organized when it comes to paper works and billing.

Comment

Made my own mulch plate for 15 bucks. Put in my brand new toro. Attached with wing nuts. Do have pictures.
                      Last edited by CurbAppeal1; 03-04-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Beginner Mistakes from our friend Jim

Here are some things beginners often get wrong:

Bagging Grass Clippings: Donít bag grass clippings, mulch them. If you cannot avoid bagging, make sure youíre getting premium pay to cover all the extra work.
                        My first year out on my own. Watch people bag or pole grass on their trailer. Feel bad for the grass and customers. Always been handy. Made my mulch plate for 15 bucks. Cherry red rust o leum to match toro some wing nuts. Been working like a charm. Took pics while making it

Comment

might be a dumb question so i apologize

I do not work in the field I am in the office dealing with the customers so I have had a few call in and complain about the crews leaving the clippings behind in the yard. What is the best way to tell them that its best?
                          Also what is the best and easiest way to bag these?

Comment

What kind of mowers are they using? Do they have baggers or are they using mulch blades? Are they mowing right after a rain? Or are they normally leaving grass clumps?

Comment

What kind of mowers are they using? Do they have baggers or are they using mulch blades? Are they mowing right after a rain? Or are they normally leaving grass clumps?
                              They do mow sometimes when it is wet due to weather and trying to squeeze customers in for the week. They use a cub cadet zero turn with the steering wheel residential series, not sure if that helps but not one of them have baggers on them I do know that for sure. They use factory blades. Its Bermuda grass here and ppl keep their grass here pretty low. Do you guys normally bag the clippings or leave them through out the yard and only pick up if customers specify?

Comment

They do mow sometimes when it is wet due to weather and trying to squeeze customers in for the week. They use a cub cadet zero turn with the steering wheel residential series, not sure if that helps but not one of them have baggers on them I do know that for sure. They use factory blades. Its Bermuda grass here and ppl keep their grass here pretty low. Do you guys normally bag the clippings or leave them through out the yard and only pick up if customers specify?
                                Normally mulch unless wet then bag or cut high and leave in yard. Try not to mow wet however if I can help it.

Comment

Working...
                                X