Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plows And Mows and other sites like them.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plows And Mows and other sites like them.

I am in my first season of mowing for money. I do it part time as I already own a successful delivery business. I have friends of mine from church that are full time landscapers. One states that his business blew up huge after signing on with Home Advisor. Another uses Plows and Mows. The first cost almost $300 bucks to join and then has a cost per lead, the second is free. I picked the free one. I get plenty of work offers from Plows and Mows, they just don't pay alot, but I am getting exposure in neighborhoods. After some research I have found there are several sites like this and I am interested in anyone's thoughts and experiences with them.

I am in my first season of mowing for money. I do it part time as I already own a successful delivery business. I have friends of mine from church that are full time landscapers. One states that his business blew up huge after signing on with Home Advisor. Another uses Plows and Mows. The first cost almost $300 bucks to join and then has a cost per lead, the second is free. I picked the free one. I get plenty of work offers from Plows and Mows, they just don't pay alot, but I am getting exposure in neighborhoods. After some research I have found there are several sites like this and I am interested in anyone's thoughts and experiences with them.
    The best thing I did when I first started was advertising on Craigslist. It's free and it works. I had quite a few calls per week, not all were quality leads, but I was able to get a few great clients out of it at no cost to me. Create a quality website to link to and create a professional logo, and it will set you apart from most of the competition on there. Having a professional looking post will weed out many of the low ballers and scammers. I've never had to use any 3rd party sites for leads, but I did look into it and have heard many horror stories. One thing I remember was one of the pay per lead sites charging for leads and not refunding money, even though they were far out of the service area or not a service offered by the company.

Comment

So many of the mowing jobs out there are priced competitively. So when you factor that in along with a website that wants to charge you for a lead or charges you per job, the amount of profit you can make on a low paying jobs can get to the point where it is not worth doing the job.

I'd think craigslist would do better than a site the average home owner hasn't heard of. So if you ask around to friends and family if they heard of craigslist then ask them if they have heard of the other sites you are considering and see what they say.

Beyond all that, what kind of marketing are you doing within your social network?

You mentioned you have a delivery business, are you marketing to your contacts through there? What about at your church? Have you asked your landscaper friends if they could send you jobs they don't want and you could send them jobs outside of your scope or capacity.

Are you marketing to the neighbors of your current customers?

Ultimately, the effectiveness of marketing methods is constantly in flux, the more marketers use a certain method, the less likely it will be as effective. The less they use a method, the better chances the method will help you stand out.

Test various methods and track to hear how new callers found you. If you find you get enough new customers through one method, consider spending more with it to see if you can get even more customers. If the method doesn't produce, experiment with a different one.

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Thanks for the input KJ90 and Steve. I did one lawn for plowz and mowz, not only are they lowballers but they take to long to pay. I have ads on Craigslist and it has been weeks of daily renewing the ad. I have yet to get a call. Seems I am one of dozens that use craigslist so while I continue to use it because its free I don't feel it is an effective tool here, even with pictures, discounts and package deals. People here advertise a 19 dollar lawn cut on Craigslist and I don't want those kinds of clients.

My delivery business brings me lots of offers for alot of different opportunities. I also clean carpets and wax floors. The problem is logistics. My delivery route starts 20 miles away from my home and goes to 40 miles out, while it may be worth driving that far to make 150.00 cleaning carpets in a home or a few hundred dollars to wax floors, it is hardly worth the drive to make 40 bucks to mow grass.

My friends have agreed to sub me when needed but it seems it is for work that is out of their scope, I just make more as a courier and am not interested in the time/pay it takes to do hardscaping or fencing as a sub. I have also done work for people from my church....just wanting to work a 15 mile radius at this time till I can go full time with it. The plan for me is when I can replace my other income with mowing (or be close to it) I will begin to branch out to do landscaping projects.

I was just curious as to what you'all thought of the different sites that subcontract lawn mowing. So far the best method I have found to build this business in my area is word of mouth. References work. I also just purchased a domain name and am building a website from GoDaddy.com. Once it is up to par I will include it in my Craigslist ad. I'll save that discussion for another topic.

Comment

There are a ton of other marketing ideas on here to read through that will inspire you. Depending on what methods others are using in your area, it will effect what method helps your message break through or not.

Maybe you could experiment and offer to put together a yard cleanup for a member of your community/church who needs help. If you mentioned you wanted to do this to your church, you might be able to get some names of people that need help. You also might be able to get some assistance in doing the work. Then you could also contact your local news outlets and let them know you are doing these good deeds. Such promotion could help you get the word out about you and your services.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Everything is moving online these days... Build a website so people can find you online, you will need to put some work on the back end so google shows you on page one, anything after page one is basically a dead zone.( I got maybe 1 lead a week on page 2-3, on page one I get 2 a day on average). Google has a business listing called google my business it works really well and it is free. Google adwords works great once you figure out how to fine tune your add to keep the cost per lead down. Facebook adds work well for some services, generally not an immediate need service my experience currently is in tree care with FB adds, so emergency tree removal is not a good face book add, but Tree injections has done well because it is a service people dont think about and can be educated on. Maybe lawn aeration would be a good FB add? Home Adviser call me every week trying to get me on board with their lead service. I just cant cough up $300 upfront for their service and then $$$ per lead when they cant even show me that they have results... seems fishy but I hear that it works for others?

Edit: Facebook has a new marketplace I see lots of people post lawn care service in there could be over saturated but it is another line in the water so to speak.
            Last edited by treeslogan; 05-08-2017, 01:08 PM.
            I keep getting asked if I do lawn care and landscaping. after a dozen or so requests how could I refuse extra income.

Current skills: pushing a lawnmower... I might need some additional knowledge.

Current business: Tree Services Logan

Comment

Everything is moving online these days... Build a website so people can find you online, you will need to put some work on the back end so google shows you on page one, anything after page one is basically a dead zone.( I got maybe 1 lead a week on page 2-3, on page one I get 2 a day on average). Google has a business listing called google my business it works really well and it is free. Google adwords works great once you figure out how to fine tune your add to keep the cost per lead down. Facebook adds work well for some services, generally not an immediate need service my experience currently is in tree care with FB adds, so emergency tree removal is not a good face book add, but Tree injections has done well because it is a service people dont think about and can be educated on. Maybe lawn aeration would be a good FB add? Home Adviser call me every week trying to get me on board with their lead service. I just cant cough up $300 upfront for their service and then $$$ per lead when they cant even show me that they have results... seems fishy but I hear that it works for others?

Edit: Facebook has a new marketplace I see lots of people post lawn care service in there could be over saturated but it is another line in the water so to speak.
              I am learning the online stuff - man, I wish that I paid more attention as a kid with this stuff, I even told the Navy that this computer junk was just a fad and that I didn't think getting Microsoft certified was a good idea... yep I was that guy.. They best business ad I have going is word of mouth, I am also getting call from Craigslist - I just added pictures to my ad and get a couple of call per listing, which I do every couple of days. My buddy from church uses Home Advisor and swears by them... I too can't see the benefit of the cost so I will keep on doing as I am now. pounding the pavement with flyers and cards, Craigslist and I do get a few nice jobs from Plows ans Mows, I just don't depend on them and the neighborhood exposure is nice..

Comment

Google adwords works great once you figure out how to fine tune your add to keep the cost per lead down.
                Do you have any suggestions on what should be done to fine tune ads?

Comment

Do you have any suggestions on what should be done to fine tune ads?
                  What I have done is set up a website landing page off of my main site. Used calls to action call now/special offers. Then I set up a pay per call campaign in google adwords. I will usually set my spending around $50-100/day it sounds like a lot, but I only run the first add for a few days before I pull it down, and the full amount is rarely spent(if you are in a big city and choose highly searched keywords you can easily spend the full amount). Fine tune the keywords to lower my cost and re run the add. you have to keep tweaking to what works in your market.
                  I keep getting asked if I do lawn care and landscaping. after a dozen or so requests how could I refuse extra income.

Current skills: pushing a lawnmower... I might need some additional knowledge.

Current business: Tree Services Logan

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X