Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late?

Is it too late to pick up new clients?

I live in northern KY and just starting my business. Realizing that it is late in the season and grass growth will really start to slow in the next month or so, I am wondering is there potenial to get more customers?

I currently only have 2 clients with a lead on a 3rd. I had not considered lawn care as a real career until this year, when my neighbor knocked on the door and offered to hire me to mow for her. My aunt then called and made me an offer to help her with trimming and other needs, such as spring and fall clearing of embankments. (Which i did last year.

Seriously, two weeks ago I decided to make this a part time gig with hopes of growing into a full time career. I see the potential and feel good about this journey

So, its late in the spring and early summer, can the pros give me any advice on how to find and acquire my first year clients?

It's never too late, although timing in this industry is very important. If you are willing to pull all your resources together and pound pavement, you'll succeed. For this time of year, I would suggest an aggressive marketing strategy and never stop selling, EVER.
    integritylawnpro.com

Comment

The only thing i can really think of doing is exactly that pound the pavement. The thing is ive never really done the door to door thing be for. I have a fair idea but would love to know what you guys say, questions you ask, etc.

Comment

You have to find out if a prospect has a lawn care provider, and or if they need one. I would suggest searching online on articles for how to sell in person. It would be an essay-length post if I wrote it all here. Best wishes.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Thank you i really appreciate it

Comment

One of the lessons we have seen on here over and over again is that whenever you can get started, you should.

There are plenty of unreliable people out there mowing lawns. It drives customers crazy. They show up for a week or two, or maybe even a month and then disappear. So if you can be reliable and show up consistently, you will have a big advantage.

You need to reach these potential customers though. Get flyers out, door hangers, craigslist, whatever. Let people know you are reliable and you will get a lot of work.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

You missed the first wave of clients looking for a lawn care provider. However, in June and July there are always people looking again, as the first guy they chose didn't work out or they were doing it themselves and decided it was a hassle.

Comment

I don't think so personally. I'm starting to take doing it part time myself more seriously. I worked for someone else last year, but this year I've had a few jobs from my wife's family, plus me and my wife belong to a few groups on Facebook and I keep an eye out for jobs that way. I got a junk clean up job that I made a decent amount on and I have to do a quote tomorrow for a job where they are looking for "A lot of weed whacking" so I'll see how that goes. Something else I've been considering is for sale homes I've seen that appear to be empty and the grass is overgrown. You might have missed out on some regular mowing customers, but there's work out there. You can always start getting ready for leaf season.

Comment

Its never too late. Wait and do your job flawlessly. Fortune will surely come.

Comment

Of course it's too late. Oh dang it, now it's too early. Well crap, now it's too late again...... A better question would be.... is there an exact date to start.... and that answer would be, no.

I'd say the closest anyone can get to helping you with this is.... do not attempt to start on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Although.... ya never know if you can get a new customer while sitting around the dinner table.... uncle Willie might decide to hire you for next year since he is getting old.

Comment

One of the lessons we have seen on here over and over again is that whenever you can get started, you should.

There are plenty of unreliable people out there mowing lawns. It drives customers crazy. They show up for a week or two, or maybe even a month and then disappear. So if you can be reliable and show up consistently, you will have a big advantage.
                      What Steve just said is true. I'm outside of Houston, very competitive but huge potential. I don't believe Steve lives in Texas so obviously, crazy as it sounds, it's true everywhere.

I wish I'd started 10 yrs ago. Or 20. Only two yrs in I'm doing great and not looking back. And have more lawn crap than I ever thought possible and only getting more lol!

Be polite but firm and learn all you can from crews here that have been in the muck and stuck.

Best of luck bro. KY, KMA LOL! Lucky dog.

Comment

As far as finding 1st year clients, try family or friends of family. I just did a power washing job for my father-in-law for a vinyl fence and concrete around his pool and a small tree job for my wife's aunt. If your one facebook at all, try looking for selling groups in your area. I've had better luck with FB then craigslist. I'm starting out part time slowly this year myself also. Good luck

Comment

I've had better luck with FB then craigslist.
                          That is interesting to know. I wonder if others are finding the same to be true. We don't hear much about craigslist on here like we used to.
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

That is interesting to know. I wonder if others are finding the same to be true. We don't hear much about craigslist on here like we used to.
                            Yeah, in my area, I hardly ever see anything on craigslist and I haven't tried posting ads there. On Facebook, I belong to 2 sell groups and also a group for the gated community I live in. I have gotten a few through that. Plus my wife is a member of a few other housewife groups and she's been keeping an eye out on there too.

Comment

Do you have any suggestions on how best to promote yourself to groups on facebook without coming across as too pushy and potentially turning people off?

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X