Start My Own Business?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start My Own Business?

I figured I'd start a new thread instead of hijacking the 2016 Business Goal thread. Here's my situation: I already have a full time job. Last season I started working for a lawn maintenance company. The work was on Saturdays and Sundays. They were usually 6 hour work days. I've been considering starting my own part time doing lawns closer to my house. I live in Pike County, Pa. Their are a lot of gated communities here. Some summer homes, mostly middle class. Most yards are 1/4-1/3 acre of lawn surrounded by woods. I already have a pick up truck, all the handheld equipment I'd need, a few 21" push mowers, and a 36" Bunton gear drive mower. I would have to buy a trailer for the 36" or just start out with the push mowers. Yards are pretty tight here so I couldnt see anything much bigger then a 36". I've done some research on the community I'm in and a few around and there are around 1600 homes just in the 3 communities I checked out. I'm waiting to hear back from 2 other ones nearby for home many homes are their. I guess in this long winded post I'm asking should I try to do my own thing, or keep working for the other guy? I wont be competing against him at all because he doesn't cover the area I'm in. Thanks guys.

I say go for it! Not a big investment and you'll be making much better money even after the taxes, etc... Not to mention, you'll only answer to yourself.
    Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
    Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
    CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

Start out with the 21" mower then when you get a few jobs each day then take the leap to the bigger mower.

Comment

You could probably pick up a use open trailer for the 36" burton for not to much money. You wouldnt need anything fancy.

Comment

What is your view on why you haven't started your own business yet? There must be some thoughts that keep you from doing it.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What is your view on why you haven't started your own business yet? There must be some thoughts that keep you from doing it.
            Part of it is I wanted to get some first hand experience with someone local. I also have a decent full time job, so I was concerned with taking on the full responsibility of starting my own company on top of my regular job. After getting some experience and knowing the quality of work I'm capable of, I think my own part time company would be a great opportunity and could lead into a full time career working for myself. I've been at my current job for 13 years. Over the years as it's increased in size, it's becoming more and more of a corporate setting. It's just not something I want to be part of anymore.

Comment

Ok with that said, how difficult would it be for you to get some first hand experience with someone local until you felt comfortable starting up your own company?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Ok with that said, how difficult would it be for you to get some first hand experience with someone local until you felt comfortable starting up your own company?
                I worked for someone last season. I'm trying decide whether to go back to work for him or start my own. I'm really leaning toward starting my own this season.

Comment

Ok I understand what you are saying.

If you are leaning to starting your own business then why not take the steps needed to get yourself going. Get your advertising ready. Start utilizing your social networks and ask around to see if anyone needs help with their property care this year.

Otherwise, it will be another year before you make the jump and by then, who knows what else will pop up that will keep you from doing it.

Comment

I contacted the county and got a number to call to see what kind of licenses I might need. Have to call my insurance company to see what liability/commercial truck insurance will cost. I think in Pa as long as I only do maintenance I don't need a contractors license. I have to find out also if I put my name on my truck I might need a commercial license plate. My wife is pretty good on social media so she should be able to help get me jobs.

Comment

It took about 2 weeks of running someone else's mowing business before I decided it's too tough of work to be doing for $13/hr. I've started my own and I'm billing $60/hr.

My plan is by next year have 40-60 hours of mowing that I can put 1-2 guys on and I will do the fert applications and other services. I'd like to get this business generating 60-90K profit in 3 years.

Comment

It took about 2 weeks of running someone else's mowing business before I decided it's too tough of work to be doing for $13/hr. I've started my own and I'm billing $60/hr.

My plan is by next year have 40-60 hours of mowing that I can put 1-2 guys on and I will do the fert applications and other services. I'd like to get this business generating 60-90K profit in 3 years.
                        That's what I've been thinking. Except I was making $10/hr. I can make a lot more even after taxes and stay closer to home.

Comment

With your wife understanding how to use social media, I bet you can get a bunch of customers in no time!

Comment

Ok, I have an update. I decided not to go back to work for the other landscaper. I've been starting to pick up some odd jobs but nothing major. I'm going to grow slowly since it's only part time for me. I did a power washing job for my father-in-law and a small tree removal and pruning job for my wife's aunt. I also got a job hauling junk out of some ones yard that my wife got from one of the face book groups she belongs to and I picked up a one time mowing job from a community face book group I belong to. Overall it's been slow but I'm hoping I can pick up at least a few weekly or biweekly mowing jobs by me.

Comment

Do it!

Marketing in any business is most of your work. If you can do lawn maintenance that's great but it won't get you customers unless they know you can.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X