Assessing the Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assessing the Market

Hi - I am considering starting a small lawn care business in Northern NJ. I am a public school employee who is seeking a supplemental income, especially while I have summers off. I can realistically manage 10-15 lawns per week (maybe more).

Before I begin the process of licensure and insurance I'm wondering if anyone can provide me some feedback on how to best assess the market? How do other first-timers develop client lists to assure they meet their financial goals? How can I feel confident that investing in this small business will pay off?

Thanks for your help.

Hi - I am considering starting a small lawn care business in Northern NJ. I am a public school employee who is seeking a supplemental income, especially while I have summers off. I can realistically manage 10-15 lawns per week (maybe more).

Before I begin the process of licensure and insurance I'm wondering if anyone can provide me some feedback on how to best assess the market? How do other first-timers develop client lists to assure they meet their financial goals? How can I feel confident that investing in this small business will pay off?
    Thanks for your help.
    You'll need to come up with your operating expenses so you know what to charge. By charging the same as the other companies, you'll have no idea if you are making a profit or not.

Your small business investment will pay off, but you need to know your costs and have a solid business plan. You need to think of things like:

-Will you be strictly Mow N Go?
    -Full Maintenance?
    -Fertilizers (check license requirements first!)
    -Will you mow large properties, small properties, or both?

Other things to think about are:
    -When school starts, will you still continue to mow or try to sell your accounts?
    -What equipment will you be starting off with? Will you finance or buy outright?
    -When the fall season starts, can you be out of school quick enough to get out mowing before the sun goes down at 5pm?

It's a lot of work, but like I said, you need a solid plan. I worked full time and owned my business. I'm now a full time business owner.

Comment

You can get a start by putting the word out in your area about your services. Maybe first try marketing to your friends and family. See what kind of response you get and then scale up from there.

Hand out some flyers to your local neighbors and see if you can pick up some customers that way.

You really never know what is going to work until you experiment and try it out.

Put a few calls in to your insurance agent(s) and see if they can get you a price for insurance.

You can get started using your own name as your business name at first if you don't want to register a business name yet. That can keep costs down. Start out with minimal equipment, maybe stuff you already have. Then grow as needed.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X